• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Contrasting Waistcoat

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attending an event with a dress code listed as “semi-formal.” However, I expect most attending don’t k ow what semi-formal means. 100% sure this is not a tuxedo function. Most will probably wear suits of various poor style. I’d like to dress in a way that fits the thought of semi-formal without being the one guy dressed properly.

I am considering wearing a mid-grey two-piece suit with a contrasting navy vest. Ill be wearing midnight navy quarter brogues as well to match the contrast. I appreciate thoughts on this combo.

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Hi,

I would reach out to the host and ask them what their interpretation of semi formal means.
Personally I'm not a fan of darker waistcoats with lighter coloured suit. I think it looks better if the waistcoat is in a lighter colour.
I also think that contrasting waistcoats look better when they are patterned.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would reach out to the host and ask them what their interpretation of semi formal means.
Personally I'm not a fan of darker waistcoats with lighter coloured suit. I think it looks better if the waistcoat is in a lighter colour.
I also think that contrasting waistcoats look better when they are patterned.
In this case, reaching out to the host is pointless. Host is a national union. Advice will be "semi-formal as written in the invitation; you can decide what that means."

I could switch the pattern and do a navy suit with the grey waistcoat, but that won't show the midnight navy shoes as well.

928S4

Reaction score
I think semi-formal is a meaningless term that lets you wear whatever you wish that doesn't involve jeans, Dockers or polo shirts. I wear a suit every day and almost always with a contrasting vest. Don't see grey with a blue vest as a good look. Blue suit with a grey vest usually is.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Agree. Semi-formal means nothing. It is the invitation equivalent of "We wanted to ask you to wear a suit but we were uncomfortable requiring it."

This all gets into the problem with how wedding invitations have been weirdly worded to mask this whole thing. There are people who think "Formal" means "Black Tie" and "Semi Formal" means "Jeans are Ok".

If you are in a suit of any kind to a semi formal event you're probably ok, though I would agree with the gents above that the lighter waistcoat is better.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.