• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrasting Waistcoat

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attending an event with a dress code listed as “semi-formal.” However, I expect most attending don’t k ow what semi-formal means. 100% sure this is not a tuxedo function. Most will probably wear suits of various poor style. I’d like to dress in a way that fits the thought of semi-formal without being the one guy dressed properly.

I am considering wearing a mid-grey two-piece suit with a contrasting navy vest. Ill be wearing midnight navy quarter brogues as well to match the contrast. I appreciate thoughts on this combo.

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Hi,

I would reach out to the host and ask them what their interpretation of semi formal means.
Personally I'm not a fan of darker waistcoats with lighter coloured suit. I think it looks better if the waistcoat is in a lighter colour.
I also think that contrasting waistcoats look better when they are patterned.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would reach out to the host and ask them what their interpretation of semi formal means.
Personally I'm not a fan of darker waistcoats with lighter coloured suit. I think it looks better if the waistcoat is in a lighter colour.
I also think that contrasting waistcoats look better when they are patterned.
In this case, reaching out to the host is pointless. Host is a national union. Advice will be "semi-formal as written in the invitation; you can decide what that means."

I could switch the pattern and do a navy suit with the grey waistcoat, but that won't show the midnight navy shoes as well.

928S4

Reaction score
I think semi-formal is a meaningless term that lets you wear whatever you wish that doesn't involve jeans, Dockers or polo shirts. I wear a suit every day and almost always with a contrasting vest. Don't see grey with a blue vest as a good look. Blue suit with a grey vest usually is.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. Semi-formal means nothing. It is the invitation equivalent of "We wanted to ask you to wear a suit but we were uncomfortable requiring it."

This all gets into the problem with how wedding invitations have been weirdly worded to mask this whole thing. There are people who think "Formal" means "Black Tie" and "Semi Formal" means "Jeans are Ok".

If you are in a suit of any kind to a semi formal event you're probably ok, though I would agree with the gents above that the lighter waistcoat is better.

TomFordStuff

Reaction score
You’ve probably attended the event already but personally I don’t prefer contrasting waistcoats. It’s fine if the waistcoat is of a similar colour and pattern but anything wouldn’t look right as least on myself.

I would:
  1. Match the suit with a turtleneck/roll neck in a shade of grey for something more casual
  2. Turtleneck/roll neck in black you want classic
  3. Shirt in a shade of grey
  4. Accessories the outfit with an evening scarf (with fringes) in monotone
  5. Beautiful dressy long sleeve wool polo with no accessories

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve probably attended the event already but personally I don’t prefer contrasting waistcoats. It’s fine if the waistcoat is of a similar colour and pattern but anything wouldn’t look right as least on myself.

I would:
  1. Match the suit with a turtleneck/roll neck in a shade of grey for something more casual
  2. Turtleneck/roll neck in black you want classic
  3. Shirt in a shade of grey
  4. Accessories the outfit with an evening scarf (with fringes) in monotone
  5. Beautiful dressy long sleeve wool polo with no accessories
I did attend the event. I wore what I said and added a bow tie actually. Definitely was the best dressed. Other men varied from a polo shirt and chinos at the least formal to a suit with a thin tie for the most formal. There were a couple guys with traditional suits and Cole Haan dress sneakers....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads