• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Eagle-eye lawyer, you don't need a blackline to spot a difference between versions
laugh.gif

Yes, I do feel a little naked today - I left home thinking I had one of those drakes mogul squares in my bag... turns out I didn't
ffffuuuu.gif

Jeebus... how long you been here?

Spare sock? 3x5 card? Paper towel?

You must give your all, mang, your ALL.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Thanks Sri.

It's funny, I have three BB sacks (navy, charcoal, olive). All are identically cut. But I've now gotten different opinions on each with relation to how the trouser cut relates to the coat.

I think the trou were hiked a little high in these photos. They don't normally appear this short on me, though a lengthening is likely in order. I just don't wanna lose my cuffs.

I still enjoy a slimmer odd trouser, but I agree that suit trou should be fuller. I am looking forward to spring to pull out the whole GTH wardrobe, which is admittedly not conservative business dress, but may be tradly.

The best trouser fit that I liked on you was your (newish?) glenplaid suit - it was fuller and longer than any other suit you've posted so far and it looked great. I can't recall the maker, BB, maybe?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Elaborate?

sure, they are beaten to death. nice with denim, though i don't recall if you wear this kind of stuff.

imo, they, their overall condition, are not suitable for business anymore.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're broken in. Beaters even. But black bal punchcaps with denim?
ffffuuuu.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
gdl203, is that a Chan or a NSM? I really like that coat.

This one is a Borrelli

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This one is a Borrelli

I was going to guess neither so glad I was somewhat correct! Keep up the good work gdl...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
PG, I am not so into your squares for the most part. However, I like this look a lot. The way the lighter blue contrasts with the black is nice. The totally unexpected brown shoes give it a nice twist.
- I actually had my black "Belgraves" on first then..
Originally Posted by ctp120
Is the tie black or midnight blue? Either way, I have to disagree about the shoes; I'd prefer black with this tie. Gorgeous suit cloth and perfect shirt collar.
- the tie is navy & black
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I continue to be impressed by the quality of this thread. The posts, feedback and replies are very helpful and constructive.
- I agree.. MostExerent..
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
With a few exceptions, my suit trousers have DAKS type waist bands. I can wear them either with suspenders on the looser adjustment or without on the tighter. Almost invariably if I wear them without suspenders, even though the adjustment makes them properly snug in the waist, I periodically have to pull them up. Which raises the question, why the #*%+ don't I just always wear suspenders?
- interesting, in this case I forgot to pull in the tabs in the morning.
Originally Posted by Manton
It's hard to get the balance right in this thread because the definition of conservative business dress will never be precise. There is a massive element of "I like/dislike" which I acknowledged in the very first post.

I think we are trying to do three things here:

1) Post what we actually wear to work, in non-circus environments. I.e., if you are the creative director at a fashion start-up, then conservative business dress is sort of irrelevant for you. This thread is about people who go to normal offices every day and must wear suits but 99% of their colleagues don't care about dressing beyond its obligatory character.

2) TITFD. This is about being less nuts than regular WAYWRN, more sedate. Yes, there will be an element of groupthink, which I do not think is bad. This is a thread with a POV. There are parameters, expectations and limits otherwise it would just be another free for all.

3) Find ways not be too rote or too dull. Push conservative business dress outward a little without breaking the barries totally.

- amen

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I continue to be impressed by the quality of this thread. The posts, feedback and replies are very helpful and constructive.

+1. It's the best show on television.

By show I mean thread.

And by television I mean SF.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting discussion going on in here, I agree with a lot of the thoughts posted about not doing patterned everything, it's simply overboard many times.

This one is probably not conservative business dress, but this place is home to me. Which BTW, great looks posted lately!!

IMAGE_055.jpg

This one is a work in progress, I have some tick-weave tan linen/silk pants on the way to spruce it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads