• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confessions of a style noob

Lightning

Reaction score
I'll try not to make this post too long but here goes.

I grew up pretty fat as a kid. All throughout high school I was more worried about clothes actually fitting than what looks good.

At age 23 I have brought my weight down to normal and as it turns out I'm not half bad looking (aside from the flab and spare tire left over from the excess weight that can sometimes make it hard to find clothes that fit right. I have started going to the gym to remedy the situation). I recently got a job with Saks Fifth Avenue which has further motivated me to get some fashion sense.

My problem? I have absolutely no sense of style whatsoever. I know what looks good on others but that doesn't always translate into what will look good on me plus I'm not one to rip others' style. I have a lot of trouble putting outfits together for myself. Sometimes trips to the mall lead to anxiety over what to get. I also have no sense when it comes to matching, I were lots of darker colors as they are easier to put together. (or maybe not?)

I don't even have the slightest clue on how to style my hair or facial hair.

I love style. Seeing other people dress well makes me happy. Someone educate me or provide me the resources to educate myself.

Please and thank you!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
welcome to the forum...

use the search function... search for titles like the one you just made. look for other things like books on style, color theory, dressing for your shape, working with textures, designers/models and their cuts, etc and start to regularly follow (plus go back a few hundred pages) the What are you Wearing Today thread to see what people wear and why it does/not look good.

start acquiring SLOWLY since most of your first purchases will probably be bad. Read lots, post a little, buy a little, post pics for critique, don't take it personally, and improve. lather rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep going to the gym. go to uniqlo and get some nice basics- japanese denim, t shirts, and some knits. you don't want to get anything too expensive until your body is at the level you want it.
post pics here and people shoudl be able to help.
good luck

Last edited:

Lightning

Reaction score
Good advice, especially Master-Classter.

Not sure what uniqlo is but I saw another thread on it so I guess I'll start there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads