• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compression shorts to wear under shorts?? any suggestions?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am not really sure of their name, but I see people all the time wearing those skin tight shorts under their gym shorts (I am guessing they are called compression shorts). I think I have seen some by Under Armour and Nike at Sports Authority near where I live but for obvious reasons never tried them on.

Anybody use these things and if so which do you reccomend? I would prefer just regular old generic ones if they are available.... I just think it would feel good having them on and when I am doing various ab workouts or whatever, my shorts flying up wouldnt reveal my legs all the way up to my crotch area!

cerfvolant

Reaction score
I use compression shorts when I play tennis so that things aren't flying everywhere. I use Under Armour these days and they are really good. I also had a generic brand compression shorts and they aren't that bad either but the UAs are a bit more comfortable and soak up a lot more. Also , Skins are probably the best brand you can get but they cost a bit more. Never used Nike Pro but they are probably good too.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Nike running shorts that come with a full length compression liner. Love them.

theincumbent

Reaction score
They are a must when playing rugby. I have found that the
Kooga brand isthe most durable. You can buy them from some US rugby retailers.

Otherwise, I understand that the nike compression shorts are a good choice.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Under Armour just changed their design. I prefer the last design (grey waistband) to the new one (black waistband), but they're still much better than Nike (which are cheaply made).

Go ahead and buy the $25 UA comp shorts (but try them on first, they run small). It's silly to pay $20 for their boxerjocks which have flimsy material and offer little support.

Newo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Under Armour just changed their design. I prefer the last design (grey waistband) to the new one (black waistband), but they're still much better than Nike (which are cheaply made).

Go ahead and buy the $25 UA comp shorts (but try them on first, they run small). It's silly to pay $20 for their boxerjocks which have flimsy material and offer little support.

With compression shorts, they should fit small.

Keep in mind they exist for the very purpose of keeping your junk in place.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I wear Nike running shorts that come with a full length compression liner. Love them.

+1.

I've got quite a few pairs of Adidas and Nike compression shorts/tro that are just the liner and the Nike are better IMO. Somehow the Nike ones don't seem to 'compress' the crotch area as much of the rest of the short, which is very, very good.

Yika

Reaction score
using a pair of $5 brooks. does it job well keeping what should be kept in place for over a year now.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Another vote for Under Armor... they are comfortable and have a pretty good quality build (at least on the older shorts that I have).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads