• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color theory, revisited

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually not. I think BD22 has done great work here. I just have a problem with one of the underpinnings of his system.

BD, I'm afraid I can't come up with an alternative theory at this point to explain why some colours may go better together than others. But I'm sure someone has.

It could be that there are explanations based on neurophysiology. In this case, we might predict that certain colour combinations trigger output from the visual cortex to the amygdala, limbic system, and other "reward" centres within the brain. We might then ask ourselves why the brain is wired that way. It could be that evolutionary biology theory could explain this. However, the further we go in this direction, the more idle and unscientific speculation we must indulge ourselves in.

I suspect that the real answer is much more prosaic and relies on arbitrary cultural formulae. This would tend to be supported by the observation that colour combinations accepted in the West as "tasteful" are very different from those admired in other sartorially advanced cultures.

I know that this throws quite a large spanner in the works, and I'm sorry for that. But I have suspected all along that "good taste" is highly relative and culture-specific, and not to be derived from artificial constructs such as colour wheels.

Nevertheless, there is much to be learned from your treatise and I hope you continue to refine the ideas outlined in your original set of posts.

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It may just be that @Coxsackie is a tiny bit nettled by the rather condescending, 'know-it-all' tone of your posts. Just sayin'....

Now I'm no mind reader, but I would guess that EliodA is nettled by the rather condescending, 'know-it-all' tone of my posts. I don't deny and tried very much to avoid the possibility, making several qualifications about my theory: that it's highly subjective, incomplete, parochial and only somewhat important in the grand scheme of things (yet still important enough to encourage me to write this thread). However it's presented, though, what I'm writing are normative arguments, arguments about how one should so something that, presumably, many readers are going to think they know very well how to do (and they may be right), and normative arguments always tend to give off know-it-all stench. In this regard, though, I contend that I'm no different from the majority of posts here on SF and if EliodA or anyone else has recommendations for how else the arguments can be presented, I'm all ears.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, black and white and everything in between are not on the colour wheel, as OP already noted, so how to deal with that in a menswear colour theory? E.g., lighter shades of grey go with other colours than darker shades. What's the theory behind that?
Anyway, interesting subject and some interesting observations as well, so thanks for posting, gents!

You're mistaken, mate. As I posted earlier, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts. I did notice the tone though. I have no problem with that, but I felt maybe that's why Cox's replies were a bit sharp. He's already denied that,so I was wrong.
So, how about my question that supposedly neutral grey goes better with some colours that others depending on the shade of grey? Is there a theoreric explanation?

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So, how about my question that supposedly neutral grey goes better with some colours that others depending on the shade of grey? Is there a theoreric explanation?
PART 2/4

In addition, this theory, which is as far as some commentators will go, provides us with no help when it comes to grays and black (both colors but not hues). There is simply no general principle for great combinations involving these two colors – tan and black, gray and chocolate, etc. – and they must instead be individually memorized.

But the principles related to value apply in much the same way described above -- at least with grays. I would argue that, for the purposes at hand, black doesn't really merit much consideration, as it's tradition-bound to be worn on only a few occasions and under very strict constraints.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color wheel I understand. Depending on the medium there are different color Wheels. But, black and white and grey are not colors but light to dark. So it is not true that orange turns brown when black is added. With paints brown is produced only when the three primary colors are used. Photography uses a different color wheel as does the printing press. And, what about TV, computer and phone screens, another ball of wax?

Can there be a formula for clothes? Not only do we see colors with other colors how do they react with personalities or characteristics each of us have, but each different?

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The color wheel I understand. Depending on the medium there are different color Wheels. But, black and white and grey are not colors but light to dark. So it is not true that orange turns brown when black is added. With paints brown is produced only when the three primary colors are used. Photography uses a different color wheel as does the printing press. And, what about TV, computer and phone screens, another ball of wax?

Can there be a formula for clothes? Not only do we see colors with other colors how do they react with personalities or characteristics each of us have, but each different?

I'm going to leave the question of color mixing alone because, as with the color wheel discussion above, I think it distracts from what color theory, in the present context, is trying to do. Whether or not the concepts are faithful extensions of neurophysical processes or concepts used in various fields that deal with color, all that's important, as far as I'm concerned, is that they're easily and effectively applicable for providing aesthetically pleasing palettes.

I guess, then, whether or not there can be a formula for clothes all depends on what you mean by "formula." If you mean a set of propositions about what looks good that applies universally, then I'm the first to admit that I've insufficient evidence to argue such a thing. On the basis of the normative axiom that we should aim to achieve my subjective understanding of harmony, however, I do think it's possible to formulate some consistently applicable generalizations. The justification is whether or not you agree with the judgments I've made with the images above.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads