• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student wearing high end menswear

Nacho lad1

Reaction score
Hello,

I've always been curious about how people might perceive me. I am a college student who is always really well dressed, no jeans, hoodies, sneakers etc. I always 100% of the time wear khakis and a button down. Not only this, but I wear mostly Kiton and Brioni, with high end alligator belts and shoes. I am fairly unique for a 20 year old in this respect, as quite honestly most people my age are horrific dressers. People are always intrigued with me and the way I dress, like awkwardly staring at me in some sort of fascination.. I have no idea about the kinds of things that might go through their minds, what could they possibly be thinking? They're no other people like me really anywhere, so I have no standard to compare myself against, being pretty unique.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no idea about the kinds of things that might go through their minds, what could they possibly be thinking?

Pretty sure they're thinking you seem like an asshole.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are better and worse dressed students at my institution. Some dress very well, most dress the way you describe. The thing is, no one unduly notices the well dressed ones. They might get a compliment here or there but there is no peculiar attention made to them. Heck, some of the student body dressed in fairy tale inspired goth clothing (interesting indeed) and even they barely get noticed. Something tells me there is more to this than you are saying. Yes?

Nacho lad1

Reaction score
I mean most people who get dressed up on campus wear vineyard vines and polo, with like 50 dollar loafers. I'm fairly unique for wearing this kind of stuff, especially with the alligator.

Nacho lad1

Reaction score
Is alligator considered flashy? I don't really see many people wearing it so I honestly don't know.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nacho. Yes, alligator is flashy. Like CM said, I can almost guarantee that 99.9% of the students on campus don't know the difference between your Kiton and a CK suit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A major part of being well dressed is dressing appropriately for the context. You are not doing that.

emidyl

Reaction score
welcome? but kinda douche troll here?

seriously you think any of them really care what you're wearing? Guaranteed most if not all wouldn't know nor be the slightly bit interested in the name brands you're
sporting.
You don't tell us why or how you came to dress the way you do. Granted it's nice to have that kind of disposable income in college, but why care how people are perceiving you? Could it be your age showing, but if you want to wear what you do, gotta stop worrying about what anyone thinks.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A major part of being well dressed is dressing appropriately for the context. You are not doing that.

:nodding: Most of the time if you feel awkward, or believe you're being looked at awkwardly, then you're being awkward.

insomb

Reaction score
Pics

farfalla

Reaction score
But then the condundrum comes up;

---How do you dress well appropriately for the context when everyone else is dressed like a 10 year old playing in the woods?

I think (if it's not a troll) the OP needs to tone it down with the accessories at least and stay the course. No one is really noticing you that much at all. I remember a guy used to wear a suit and overcoat daily in my dorm and it was nothing more than, "Yeah, that dude has threads," and then everyone just went back into their extraordinarily narcissistic, solipsistic minds. You should be dressing for yourself anyway. It's not a fashion show and people don't care that much. Shelve the alligator though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads