• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student buying first suit for interview

Kique

Reaction score
I have an interview coming up in 2 weeks and I need to buy my first real suit. I've done some research on here so I think I know the basics? Seems like you can't really go wrong with a navy suit, white shirt, and a solid colored tie? I have a pair of Florsheim black captoes from my dad, I'm assuming those will work.

Since I don't have that much time I was wondering what about brands. Theres a mall here that has a Macy's, JCPenny, and Sears. I rather not shell out too much cash, and I've read on here that some people like Alfani (Macy's house brand) for the price. So I think I'll go check those out tomorrow. Any other stores I should check out? It's a pretty decent mall so it has most of the popular stores.

Another thing I'm worried about is that I'm super skinny so I'm nervous that they'll all fit like potato sacks on me. The interview is for finance internship, so I figure it'd be best to go the conservative route instead of going the slim look I'd be more comfortable in? How slim is too slim?

Thanks for the help guys, any other tips you guys feel like I might need to know is also really appreciated.

jason.wu.05.09

Reaction score
Fit is probably the single most important thing to consider with a suit. If you aren't willing to spend too much (i.e. 750+), it will be difficult to get a suit that will really last, especially on short notice (i.e. can't wait for great sales on some top-shelf makers). It seems like you just want a suit for the interview and for the summer, so your priorities should definitely be fit rather than long-term quality.

I would go into Macy's and try a few different brands. Alfani's fit isn't particularly slim, but you might find some brands there (DKNY?) that would have a slimmer fit. I tend to prefer slim-fitting suits as well, and I understand how bad it can look to have a tent-like suit.

As for being "too slim"...I wouldn't worry so much about this. If you're not getting something that really hugs the body, but has some waist suppression, I think that's perfectly standard.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And remember, even a cheap suit will look much better if it's tailored. Get the sleeve length fixed and the pants hemmed well once you buy the suit and you're already much better dressed then most of your contemporaries.

As for tie, if you're doing navy suit and white tie, go with something a little more interesting. Still tasteful and conservative of course, but add a little interest. I always reccomend regimental stripes, they're classy and there are still a ton of options for personal taste to be reflected.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I would stay away from JC Penney and Sears. If quality is not a priority and you are heading to the mall already, you could also check out H&M for a suit if there is a store near you. I've never owned an H&M suit, but their clothes are definitely slim. Calvin Klein suits also tend to be a little on the slim side. At least make sure it's 100% wool and preferably has flat front pants and dual vents. I would definitely go with a navy or charcoal color so that you can wear it for other occasions. No matter what suit you buy, make sure you get it tailored!

Kique

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice you guys. I managed to get to the mall in between my classes today and tried some stuff on. I'm a pretty small guy so most stuff didn't fit (no H&M here), although I did find this at Macy's that I think looks good?
16k7yia.jpg
It's a 36S, and on sale for the next couple days for 200 with those pants. If I do get it, what alterations are recommended. I'm used to the SW&D forum where I wear everything sized down. I think the sleeves should be taken in a little, you want to see a little bit of the shirt underneath right? Can anything be done to make arm holes smaller? BTW that shirt in the pic was just one I quickly grabbed. Thanks for putting up with my questions!

enigma77

Reaction score
The best value/fit/longevity suit is generally thought to be J. Crew's Ludlow suit. The styling on this one looks OK. Can't tell about the fabric itself because we're not there looking at you in it. $200 is pretty good, yes. In terms of alterations, besides seconding you on the armholes it's difficult to say (maybe shoulders? can't tell). You should take it to the best tailor near where you live, and get him to give you an opinion on what he thinks should be done to it. If he's any good at what he does he'll have intelligent recommendations to offer.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
It's a 36S, and on sale for the next couple days for 200 with those pants. If I do get it, what alterations are recommended. I'm used to the SW&D forum where I wear everything sized down. I think the sleeves should be taken in a little, you want to see a little bit of the shirt underneath right? Can anything be done to make arm holes smaller?

that's for a good tailor to decide. if I were you i'd find a good tailor rather than go with the in-house tailors at Macy's. a knowledgeable tailor will tell you exactly what you should do, provided you bought the right size to begin with. keep in mind, there are certain rules you should follow when buying a suit - ie. the sleeves should stop where your wrist hinges, the suit coat should hug your shoulders, etc.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look like they could stand to be taken in a little, sleeves a little shorter and the waist needs to be taken in.

It would do, but you should look at more options first.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure they can. They're more difficult (and thus more expensive) then the other alterations, and one should never try to change the amount of padding, but they can be taken in. Generally the sleeves are taken off and the shoulder is cut down a little.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I would really just go with J.Crew seperates. You'll likely require less alterations, the customer service is helpful, and the styling is good and young.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saved1008
i thought shoulders couldnt be altered ?
it's unadvisable unless you have a wizard of a tailor and can risk ruining the jacket. Also, be prepared to fork out money accordingly. For this reason the conventional wisdom is just to buy a different jacket instead of trying to fix the shoulders unless you found some unbelievable bargain that you just can't live without. But for that reason, and the peak lapel reason, this guy should pass on the suit.

Kique

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, glad I didn't buy that jacket on a whim. I see some of you guys talking about altering the shoulders, do the shoulders on that jacket not fit me? That was one aspect of the jacket I thought did fit me but I guess not haha. Since altering the shoulders doesn't seem to be recommended, do they make jackets smaller than 36S for mall brands?

For tailoring, anyone know a ball park figure of costs? I know of a tailor in town that I've heard was good, I just want to get an idea beforehand of $. Do I just go there and try on my suit in front of her, and she'll give her opinion?

Also, regarding peak lapels, is this a real big issue? I sometimes see guys on here wearing them so I always just thought it was a matter of preference. I actually think they look nice (better?).

runner-guy

Reaction score
Here's my advice. Go back to Macy's and have an associate help you out. Have them take your measurements to figure out the proper size suit (and proper size shirt) and then try to find one that fits you in the shoulders. You'd have to ask if they have anything smaller than 36S. As far as lapels go, a notched lapel probably is a better way to go. Try to find an Alfani that has a notched lapel or look at Calvin Klein, DKNY, or another brand that tends to have a slimmer cut. The associate should help you with this. Tailoring usually costs $50-$100 depending on how much needs to be done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads