• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar stays

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried metal stays. I am on the phone a decent amount throughout the day and found that, placing the phone between shoulder and ear is difficult with the metal stays.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody know how silver stays effect airport metal detectors?
Mine have not set off any alarms etc, and I believe I read somewhere that these machines do not detect precious metals.
I've had metal detectors set off by brass collar stays. I think it was JFK or Logan & was not too long after Sept. 11.

Nonk

Reaction score
I've had metal detectors set off by brass collar stays. I think it was JFK or Logan & was not too long after Sept. 11.

Given the copper content of brass I am glad to hear it. US airport security is widely viewed here as having been next to useless.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a SNL commercial for Versace Pockets. The fake commercial included testimonials from satisfied customers including P. Diddy who gushed, "I was looking for something that tasted as good as Hot Pockets, but cost more."

I guess some people are looking for expensive collar stays that work as well as cheap plastic ones.

understated

Reaction score
A bit off topic but:

I don't know if anybody else does this, but I purposely use smaller stays in moderate-to-full spread collars. For me, it allows a nice roll to the collar and also for the collar points to lay well on the chest. So the plastic collars work just fine for me.

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782,May 05 2005,10:16
Finally, I've said it before, expired credit cards are a superb material from which you may fashion your own "bespoke" collar stays. Flexible, personalised, and more expensive than any you could buy; don't leave home without them.
The Centurion stays are sweet and limited to 10,000 collars. Though the black sometimes shows through on the white shitrts, then I go with the platinum stays.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit off topic but:

I don't know if anybody else does this, but I purposely use smaller stays in moderate-to-full spread collars. For me, it allows a nice roll to the collar and also for the collar points to lay well on the chest. So the plastic collars work just fine for me.
I do. It was entirely by accident. I somehow or other lost all my longer ones, and the only pair I had left was a shorter brass set. It's still the only set I use, and it all seems to work out just fine.

drljva

Reaction score
I have two pairs of MOP I got from Carlo Franco. I use them with most of my shirts. They don't quite fit some of the shirts I own (in which case I use the wide, more firm Borelli stays), but the majority of them they work quite well. They are thick enough that they won't break, but don't feel like weapons into my jawbone like metal ones do.
I, too, have several that I got from Chuck & Jill. Great stays, and they fit most (but not all) of my shirts. I definitely like these stays better than the brass and sterling stays that I have (as these tend to bend over time...). And for what C & J sell these babies for, they're good value for money (relative to what I've paid for MOP stays at places like Pink, etc.).

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm way too likely to lose my collar stays in the laundry or elsewhere (my cats or my child tend to carry them off if I leave them on the dresser), so I refuse to buy expensive ones.

I purhased a container of replacement plastic stays at Macy's for about $7 (it's the house, Club Room, brand).

It came with probably has 20 sets in 3 different lengths and also has room for the ones I get with new shirts.

This way, I not only have a place to put my stays, but spares for when I misplace one.

demo5

Reaction score
I've asked this before, but never got an answer so I'll try again. I once, and only once, got a set of collar stays at Saks in DC that were a bendable metal (almost like lead) wrapped in a linen-like (it may have been linen) material. These stays could be bent to any position and cut be cut to just the right length. I 've been searching for them ever since with no luck. Does anyone have a place to get these?

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
I've asked this before, but never got an answer so I'll try again.  I once, and only once, got a set of collar stays at Saks in DC that were a bendable metal (almost like lead) wrapped in a linen-like (it may have been linen) material.  These stays could be bent to any position and cut be cut to just the right length.  I 've been searching for them ever since with no luck.  Does anyone have a place to get these?
I have flexible stays and they don't really work for longer collars such as the ones I wear. They constantly change shap as I move and have to be pressed back into shape with my fingers.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(trogdor @ May 05 2005,09:02)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782,May 05 2005,10:16
Finally, I've said it before, expired credit cards are a superb material from which you may fashion your own "bespoke" collar stays. Flexible, personalised, and more expensive than any you could buy; don't leave home without them.
The Centurion stays are sweet and limited to 10,000 collars. Though the black sometimes shows through on the white shitrts, then I go with the platinum stays.
Actually the "˜Blue' card is the best to use with white shirts; all you do is make the collars out of the translucent material, and presto no more show-through problems. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads