Collar stays

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, May 5, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I have tried metal stays. I am on the phone a decent amount throughout the day and found that, placing the phone between shoulder and ear is difficult with the metal stays.

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

anybody know how silver stays effect airport metal detectors?
    Mine have not set off any alarms etc, and I believe I read somewhere that these machines do not detect precious metals.
    I've had metal detectors set off by brass collar stays. I think it was JFK or Logan & was not too long after Sept. 11.

3. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Given the copper content of brass I am glad to hear it. US airport security is widely viewed here as having been next to useless.

4. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

This thread reminds me of a SNL commercial for Versace Pockets. The fake commercial included testimonials from satisfied customers including P. Diddy who gushed, "I was looking for something that tasted as good as Hot Pockets, but cost more."

I guess some people are looking for expensive collar stays that work as well as cheap plastic ones.

5. understated

understated Member

A bit off topic but:

I don't know if anybody else does this, but I purposely use smaller stays in moderate-to-full spread collars. For me, it allows a nice roll to the collar and also for the collar points to lay well on the chest. So the plastic collars work just fine for me.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Everybody should just wear detachable collars.

They are quite a structural pleasure.

7. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I do. It was entirely by accident. I somehow or other lost all my longer ones, and the only pair I had left was a shorter brass set. It's still the only set I use, and it all seems to work out just fine.

9. drljva

drljva Senior member

I, too, have several that I got from Chuck & Jill. Great stays, and they fit most (but not all) of my shirts. I definitely like these stays better than the brass and sterling stays that I have (as these tend to bend over time...). And for what C & J sell these babies for, they're good value for money (relative to what I've paid for MOP stays at places like Pink, etc.).

10. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I'm way too likely to lose my collar stays in the laundry or elsewhere (my cats or my child tend to carry them off if I leave them on the dresser), so I refuse to buy expensive ones.

I purhased a container of replacement plastic stays at Macy's for about $7 (it's the house, Club Room, brand).

It came with probably has 20 sets in 3 different lengths and also has room for the ones I get with new shirts.

This way, I not only have a place to put my stays, but spares for when I misplace one.

11. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I've asked this before, but never got an answer so I'll try again. I once, and only once, got a set of collar stays at Saks in DC that were a bendable metal (almost like lead) wrapped in a linen-like (it may have been linen) material. These stays could be bent to any position and cut be cut to just the right length. I 've been searching for them ever since with no luck. Does anyone have a place to get these?

12. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

I have flexible stays and they don't really work for longer collars such as the ones I wear. They constantly change shap as I move and have to be pressed back into shape with my fingers.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Interesting claim: You're guaranteed to impress your colleagues, friends and family with these classy collar-stiffeners. I can just hear it now: "Wow Bob are those gold Asprey collar stays in your shirt?"

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member