• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobblers in Canada (Toronto or major Canadian cities) - goodyear welt and JR Rendenbach

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Budger

Reaction score
Thank you so much for reviewing cobblers in Canada!!! I live in Calgary and am from Vancouver, so I go back from time to time.

Been looking for one that does JR Soles ... So will try out Quick Cobbler when I get back. Back in 2016, he quoted you $139 but on his website, it looks like the price has changed to $199. Still a really good price for JRs, but is the drastic price increase really the case?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for reviewing cobblers in Canada!!! I live in Calgary and am from Vancouver, so I go back from time to time.

Been looking for one that does JR Soles ... So will try out Quick Cobbler when I get back. Back in 2016, he quoted you $139 but on his website, it looks like the price has changed to $199. Still a really good price for JRs, but is the drastic price increase really the case?

$199 includes return shipping and Topy soles. So not expensive at all!

https://www.quickcobbler.com/recrafting

Assuming shipping is 15-20 in Canada, and topys another 40-50.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying out Gary Coakley in London Ontario:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, there is a facebook group called "North American Shoe Rebuilders."

For cobbler recognition week, there are daily prizes, including free recrafts from cobblers. Other prizes are Saphir shoe care products. Join the group, and throw in your hat for a chance to win a prize!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

campirecord

Reaction score
Wanted to report that Carinthia in Montreal now stocks all black Dainite soles which was quite difficult to get for Dainite lovers. Great news, cant wait to see if red and brown make their way some day.

arturobelano

Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't checked out that cobbler yet. Do you know If they have JR soles as well?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the people in Montreal: the cobbler at Complexe Desjardins, called Cordonnerie Desjardins, does wonderful work. Plus, they offer JR soles for a very good price. Here's their website: https://www.cordonneriedesjardins.com

Have you used this cobbler before?

I was just looking at their Facebook pics. The leather sole rebuilds don't look very refined:

From the pic, the 2 pairs in the middle and right, the channel for the stitch groove are problematic. Granted that it won't affect the integrity of the soles, but that looks to be sloppy work.

campirecord

Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't checked out that cobbler yet. Do you know If they have JR soles as well?
For JR, I do recoomend Egide http://egide.ca/reparation.html and you can see his work up close. I would use Carenthia for rubber and Egide for JR. Laurent Halimi doesnt have a store front, he does everything in his private workshop. Super nice guy, call him up he will call back pretty fast.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For JR, I do recoomend Egide http://egide.ca/reparation.html and you can see his work up close. I would use Carenthia for rubber and Egide for JR. Laurent Halimi doesnt have a store front, he does everything in his private workshop. Super nice guy, call him up he will call back pretty fast.

Here is a pair that Laurent did for me. Expensive but excellent work:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Rob's Best Foot Forward in Toronto. Here is a pic of work he did for a member of the Allen Edmonds facebook group:

The soles were not properly prepped for stitching. The stitching itself looks uneven. The colour of the soles should be even, and if Rob wanted a different look like a contrast, this is extremely sloppy.

The scary thing is the the things we DON'T see. Was the old cork removed? Midsole replaced?

Lots of great cobblers in Canada to choose from. I personally would never use this shop.

arturobelano

Reaction score
Have you used this cobbler before?

I was just looking at their Facebook pics. The leather sole rebuilds don't look very refined:

From the pic, the 2 pairs in the middle and right, the channel for the stitch groove are problematic. Granted that it won't affect the integrity of the soles, but that looks to be sloppy work.

I have used this cobbler many times for heel pads replacements and the work has been nicely done. As for the JR sole replacement service, I'm sure their work is not as top notch as Larent's, but it is almost $100 cheaper, so it could be a good option depending on the pair of shoes you're working with. I wouldn't use these guys for my favorite shoes - I would indeed take them to Laurent. But I would consider the option for a pair of AE or other cheaper, 'everyday' kind of shoes.
I'll keep you posted if I ever take a pair to these guys for a JR resole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads