• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNNSI Mock Draft

AAA

Reaction score
Mike Williams ran a 4.5 last year in a private workout.  Just so you know, Terrell Owens also ran a 4.5 during the NFL combine, actually Mike Williams is a very similar reciever to Andre Johnson or Terrell Owens.

Edwards has had a decent college career, but had lesser stats than either Howard or Terrell in college.  I think the position player/school comparison is very valid because it shows how a school develops that position, if they don't succeed in the NFL, while being successful in college, it could certainly have a lot to do with the system/scheme they played in.  I think Edwards is actually going to be a pretty good player in the NFL (along the lines of a Michael Clayton, Keary Colbert type of player) as opposed to Williams, who will be a Johnson/Owens type of player, who could take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a 80 yard TD.  Edwards is not Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald, and shouldn't be drafted as such.
I had heard the 4.5 was hand timed, which if it was, means it is really a 4.6 or worse. Isnt Andre Johnshon a blazer? He just finished 2nd in the NFL fastest man competition.

I am still not a strong buyer of the college postion / NFL success correlation. To keep using the Michigan analogy if John Navarre turns into and Pro Bowl QB like Tom Brady, Elvis Grbac, or Brian Griese then I am on board...but until then...

From a statistical standpoint Edwards actually had a better career than either Howard or Terrell.

I guess the bottom line is that we will find out who the NFL scouts agree with on draft day...

Terrell:
Season\tRecp\tYds\tYds/Recp\tTD
1998\t14\t149\t10.6\t2
1999\t71\t1038\t14.6\t7
2000\t67\t1130\t16.9\t14
Career\t152\t2317\t15.2\t23
\t\t\t\t\t
Howard:\t\t\t\t
1989\t9\t136\t15.1\t2
1990\t63\t1025\t16.3\t11
1991\t62\t985\t15.9\t19
Career\t134\t2146\t16\t32
\t\t\t\t
Edwards:\t\t\t
2001\t3\t38\t12.7\t0
2002\t67\t1035\t15.4\t10
2003\t85\t1138\t13.4\t14
2004\t97\t1330\t13.7\t15
Career\t252\t3541\t14.1\t39

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen of Mike Williams, he strikes me as a bigger Michael Irvin.  Not a burner, but someone who can make tough catches over the middle and move the chains.  Not a bad thing to be.

Edit: I swear I made the above comment before reading CNNSI's description of Williams.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has expected Navarre to be a great QB, look at where he was drafted... If those were all first round QBs, than the comparison would be more relevant, but Grbac was a 8th round pick, Brady a 6th, Navarre a 6th, and Griese, the highest, a 3rd round pick...

Edwards has put up decent numbers but Terrell had Knight opposite him, which limited his #s somewhat. I think he may be a 1st round worthy WR but he's not a top 5 pick IMO. IMO he's certainly the 2nd WR on the board.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In which round do you think that Maurice Clarett will be drafted(if at all)?  Which teams may be interested?  Clarett played just one season and had a good year, but seems like an idiot in so many ways.
The draft is loaded with quality RBs.  I doubt any teams will want to take a chance on a RB who hasn't played in more than a year and who has a history of immaturity before the 3rd or 4th round.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Keyshawn Johnson, even at 6'4", 214 does not seem to have the physical presence of Terrell Owens or Andre Johnson. Marvin Harrison is a strange specimen compared to so many other NFL wideouts: he's 6'0", 175. Owens is 6'3", 226. Andre Johnson is 6'3", 219. Pure speed is overrated. Quickness is critical. That's what helped make Jerry Rice so good at turning what may have been very little into a big gain. Freddie Mitchell didn't play just football in college: http://uclabruins.collegesports.com/sports....01.html http://uclabruins.collegesports.com/sports....00.html

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like Williams' poor performance in the combine will cost him, and Edwards is moving up boards... I don't like him that early because many of his big games were against very poor competition. However, I guess we'll see what happens this next season.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The accounts I read indicated that Williams performed respectably.  No one other than Williams expected him to run under a 4.5 40.  He's more of a possession receiver anyways.  Ronnie Brown apparently tore up the combine with his 40 times.  His combination of size and speed reminds me of Fred Taylor.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hopefully Fred Taylor w/o the injuries.

Williams is just a beast IMO, exactly the right receiver to take the 5 yard swing pass and take it the distance after crushing a 5'9 corner with a stiff-arm.

Edwards could be Roy Williams, or he could be David Terrell... take your chances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads