• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing Help

masterecon

Reaction score
I am trying to put together outfits I can go to work in and then go out after work. I don't mind dressing up a little and prefer it. I work in an office environment now that is business casual to jeans and a t-shirt in agriculture and so I am out in the field (literally) about 1 to 2 times a week. I tend to wear jeans and/or khakis with button-up shirts, polos and sweaters. I throw a tie in the mix once or twice a week and get asked why I am dressed up (just by adding a tie). I have thought about going with ties (and/or bow ties), sweaters, and button-up shirts all week long to make things easier. Kind of like a dress code I guess. I tend to buy outfits instead of individual items due to a somewhat lack of fashion sense, so what do you think?

1. What kind of outfits would you put together that might fit this criteria, or would you do something different?

2. Would you wear a tie everyday of the week (work, home, etc.)? Even in the field (with a sweater or soemthing else (?) maybe)?

3. What kind of sweaters would you wear with a tie? Polo, Half Zip-Neck, Cardigan, V-Neck, Crewneck? As tempratures rise?

4. How about keeping the same style for weekends and after work?

coachvu

Reaction score
1. Since you'll be in the field, you probably won't want to wear dress trousers. You can buy chinos in various shades of tan/khaki as well as olive, etc., so that might be a good way to add some variety. Look at the Bills khakis website for some ideas, but you can find the actual pants cheaper elsewhere.

2. I think a tie is fine. If you stick with it and are confident, people won't be as shocked and will accept it as part of your style.

3. With a tie, I prefer V-neck or cardigans. I think half zip sweater look best with an open collar dress shirt.

4. Throw on a blazer or sportscoat. It will dress the same outfit up a little without seeming like you tried too hard.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lightweight cashmere makes a good warmer-weather sweater. Usually a sweater worn with a tie should have a smooth texture and, correct, is best a v-neck or cardigan.

A polo is good to have, whether or not you wear it with a button-front shirt and tie.

Outside of work, a tie without a jacket might look odd to some. It depends on your age and location. A tie is easily removed after work, of course.

masterecon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by masterecon
I am trying to put together outfits I can go to work in and then go out after work. I don't mind dressing up a little and prefer it. I work in an office environment now that is business casual to jeans and a t-shirt in agriculture and so I am out in the field (literally) about 1 to 2 times a week. I tend to wear jeans and/or khakis with button-up shirts, polos and sweaters. I throw a tie in the mix once or twice a week and get asked why I am dressed up (just by adding a tie). I have thought about going with ties (and/or bow ties), sweaters, and button-up shirts all week long to make things easier. Kind of like a dress code I guess. I tend to buy outfits instead of individual items due to a somewhat lack of fashion sense, so what do you think?

1. What kind of outfits would you put together that might fit this criteria, or would you do something different?

2. Would you wear a tie everyday of the week (work, home, etc.)? Even in the field (with a sweater or soemthing else (?) maybe)?

3. What kind of sweaters would you wear with a tie? Polo, Half Zip-Neck, Cardigan, V-Neck, Crewneck? As tempratures rise?

4. How about keeping the same style for weekends and after work?

In addition to the above questions, when is it too hot to dress up too much? I mean when is too hot to wear a sportcoat or lightweight sweater, shirt and tie? Please provide additional thoughts if you have any for the above questions as well. Thanks!

coachvu

Reaction score
In addition to the above questions, when is it too hot to dress up too much? I mean when is too hot to wear a sportcoat or lightweight sweater, shirt and tie? Please provide additional thoughts if you have any for the above questions as well. Thanks!

It depends on what kind of sportcoat and sweater. Lightweight cotton/silk sweaters are appropriate even in the summer, although maybe only for nicer events at night. The whole idea behind linen is that it can be worn when it's hot. It really depends on what you own and whether or not you can wear it comfortably when it's hot. Some people have to wear shirt and tie every day, so you can't really say that it's ever inappropriate.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about wearing patterned dress shirts? They needn't be loud (the dreaded stripeys) but a little visual interest in the shirt would be good when you take off the tie.

cpac

Reaction score

Sweater - well it's too hot, when wearing the sweater makes you too hot.

Shirt and tie? It's never too hot for those.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is too hot for you depends on personal preferences.

Wearing a lightweight jacket at 95 degrees would be too hot for anyone, of course. And people in hot climates do dress more casually.

Wearing just a lightweight silk tie can be too much, because it forces buttoning up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads