• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes and Your Body ... Physical Irregularities

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
rough for me. tailor says my abs are too perfectly chiseled making the shirts and jackets fit off. Buttocks perfectly round with the flawless firm/soft mix making my trousers fit odd. Dont get me started on the issues my wonderful dong creates. suffice to say, i have a rough time.

seriously, just an odd low shoulder and longer right arm. pretty standard.

essej

Reaction score
Small chest (34s suiting, 14.5 extra slims), big butt (30 trousers)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My left foot is 1/4 size smaller than my right, but nothing so irregular I need bespoke.

Although my GF says that my feet are long and skinny and they look like they stink. A few times I asked her to sniff, which she kindly obliged, and the look of disgust confirmed her suspicion.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I'm average height but I have fairly short legs. I wear high waisted trousers and it all works out okay.

My neck is short and thick. I need shirts in the biggest OTR size, but the sleeves are too long and the body smock-like. Slim-fit helps, but MTM is better.

Tailored clothing can deal with all of these sorts of issues.

My only really problematic bits are my Fred Flintstone feet. They are wide from the toes all the way back to just before the ankle - in fact they are half as wide as they are long (little wider on the left). Am experimenting with custom made shoes from Hong Kong.

What a funny, somewhat confessional little topic this is. We are all different, which is what makes us the same.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one more to add ... when i started the thread i was thinking about only clothes, but shoes also, since i see TR and others commenting on that.

i have a wide forefoot and narrow heels. quite regularly i end up with shoes fitting very well in the forefoot and then a little lose in the heel. Of particular annoyance is a little gap that typically forms on the insides of my shoes right beneath the ankle bone.

i spoke to a shoe maker in argentina while visiting, who suggested either bespoke or going for narrow widths and then having the forefoot stretched. havent pursued either option yet, cos even though it is an annoyance, it does not drive me crazy enough.

Xenon

Reaction score
I have very very square shoulders - broad and they go straight across, from my neck to top of shoulders there is barely a half inch drop. Combine this with a prominent chest and small waist and you get a disaster in RTW shirts and jackets.

I ask for waist suppression but most don't seem to understand.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
this may fall in the inappropriate tmi realm
stirpot.gif

Oh my... You are stirring the pot indeed. Haha.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a gut going, and require the use of a girdle to squeeze into my trim fitting suits. Otherwise, I am the epitome of handsomeness, athletic beauty, and elegance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One arm longer than the other. That's it.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I have a gut going, and require the use of a girdle to squeeze into my trim fitting suits. Otherwise, I am the epitome of handsomeness, athletic beauty, and elegance.

I've recently been considering this option. I believe they do something specifically for the male physique. But if you compress all of that flesh, surely it has to pop out somewhere else. Where does it go? Or, is the visceral cavity roomy enough to contain it all, like a fully packed holiday suitcase?

Also, supposing it does the job and actually attracts a woman. Won't it put her off... when it comes off? I'd rather she knew the truth at the beginning.

Lear

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and pretty much all leg. We're talking Stacy Kiebleresque proportions. I've also got a prominent, athletic, delicious ass.

All of this makes OTR a serious pain for me. Jackets cut for a man of my height are too long in the torso and too short in the sleeves. Pants are too short at my waist size. Etc., etc., etc. It's pretty much impossible not to look slightly gangly in many outfits, even though I am pretty built these days.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
I've recently been considering this option. I believe they do something specifically for the male physique. But if you compress all of that flesh, surely it has to pop out somewhere else. Where does it go? Or, is the visceral cavity roomy enough to contain it all, like a fully packed holiday suitcase?

Also, supposing it does the job and actually attracts a woman. Won't it put her off... when it comes off? I'd rather she knew the truth at the beginning.

Lear

I use a makeshift girdle which is an ultra tight fitting vest style shirt made from some kind of heat / cold resistant material. Underarmour make them as undershirts - mainly used by hunters on a desert hunting trip or in mid winter Wyoming when temps are below - 10c. The consistency of material is not much unlike a wetsuit.

It does a great job of distributing my bulk around the stomach and gives me the appearance of being much leaner than I am. I usually go a size too small for these type of under garments. Downside is: Not terribly comfortable unless you sit with back vertically, not a great choice for slouchers.

Im not usually a fatso, but have been putting on unwanted weight while I am on time out from exercise (ripped shoulder muscle prevents me doing anything, it hurts even as I type).

Attracting a woman? I am married and my wife is pretty dang hot looking, I do not need to check out other babes. But if I were single, such a vest very much flatters a mans look, particularly if you have broad shoulders, good chest shape. Unless the guy has a beer belly of epic proportions (vest would still make the guy look like a fatso), she would unlikely be too shocked.

A girdle or makeshift vest only works if you carry maybe 10 - 15 extra pounds max. If you have 20 odd pounds around the gut, got to start a 4mile running habit.

SilvioDante

Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
3. My butt is very pronounced. Hence, I have problems with suit vents opening, especially single vented ones. Solution: stay away from single vents.

Originally Posted by Achilles_
I have the same problem! It sucks because my waist is much smaller than my butt so I will never be able to get a suit slimmed down to where I want it
frown.gif

A thread where we can all commiserate. Me=43 in chest, 33 inch waist, and a booty.

CIMG4358.jpg

My tailor recently added this to assist the vents to stay closed while standing, but still maintains functionality. It helps hide the problem, though I still can't take the waist in as much as I'd like.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
My left foot is 1/4 size smaller than my right, but nothing so irregular I need bespoke.

Although my GF says that my feet are long and skinny and they look like they stink. A few times I asked her to sniff, which she kindly obliged, and the look of disgust confirmed her suspicion.

Thanks for sharing that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads