• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cleverley Disappointed

300rwhp

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of black rtw wholecuts and am experiencing wrinkling and little crack like lines not just in the toe box either. does this mean the shoes have crap leather ? they fit very well so they are not too big? What should i do i use the trees they sold me all the time. I bought them in january and have worn them 3 times and am seeing cracking and wrinkling

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 6-year-old Ferragamos don't do that. I use shoe trees, but I don't know that this is what keeps them looking so nice.

android

Reaction score
I don't think it's the shoemaker's fault, but I do believe that the tanners use the poorer hides for black.

And yes, you should always use the trees and rotate your shoes.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had similar experiences (not usually that quickly).

First remedy is a resolution to moisturize shoes and otherwise follow instructions. American central heat is a bear.

Second is to make future black shoes out of shell cordovan, on the theory that it is more durable, requires less polish, and is otherwise less vulnerable to scuffing. Haven't tried a controlled test yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.