• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning Dark Stains on Beach Hat?

George8

Reaction score

I bought this beach hat a while back and this beige color. It is nice color and good for blocking the sun where I am at. I just noticed this recently but when I look at the top of the hat well not all the way the top part ... but the surrounding area around the black ring area on this hat... there are lot of dark stains on it. Now I have no idea how long these stains has been on it. It could have been there for a few months and I did not notice because whenever I take off my hat, i put it on a big plastic bag flipped upside down and put it on the floor. Yes... I am foolish for not taking care of my beach hat as in putting it on the top of the door but in my apartment, I don't have any of those. So I basically just put it in a plastic see through bag and basically just leave it on the floor upside down. And it wasn't until recently I noticed there is those marks surrounding it.

Can someone tell me how I can clean this beach hat if i can still do it? I feel a bit foolish now because when I first saw these stains, I took some lysol wipes and tried to wipe them out and that did not work. Right now i left my hat on the plastic bag and on the floor like I normally do. Now I don't think my floor caused these stains to the beach hat because its in a big clear plastic bag and I don't think the floor caused this. The plastic bag looks like one of those bags where imagine you go to grocery store to buy apples and you put a few in it... except this bag is huge and could fit my hat. The reason why I leave my beach hat in the plastic bag and on the floor is because there isn't that much space in my apartment. I previously had left it in the big plastic bag but instead put it in my luggage. So I think maybe the floor caused the stain? Now the stain is on the top of my hat... so would sweat cause this? Nothing dropped on my hat so to speak. I mean i worn it once when it was raining i believe but I am pretty positive that didn't cause it.

My concern is could the lysol wipes i used cause permanent damage to it? I wasn't thinking and just immediated used a few lysol wipes on it and then when that didn't work... i read that washing it wrong could damage it. Would like if anyone can please give me any advice on this. I can post pictures on it as well if you want? Thanks.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a picture of your hat and the spots, my first thought is that you've got sweat stains. That's going to be very common - it's why better quality hats have leather sweat bands inside them instead of cloth. You can try a mixture of warm water/dish soap or warm water/hydrogen peroxide and use a small brush to lightly brush the stains (just like you would on cloth). Just make sure to wipe with water when done. There's no guarantee on this, but it's something you can try.

George8

Reaction score
Hi there. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Well I don't think its sweat stains on the top of the hat because I don't think the sweat gets there? Also I just recently... wore some sunscreen in the area right above my eyes and then put on the sun beach hat when i went out earlier. I never wear sunscreen on my forehead if im wearing a sun beach hat when going outside but i also did that my mistake today. And now i notice like some stain as well right around that area... it looks a bit like sweat from the sunscreen. Would using the warm water/dish soap and hydrogen peroxide be the same method for this?

I will post pictures soon. But can anyone tell me if its possible to clean these sweat stains if that is what they are? I dont believe that is what they are on the top of the hat though.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But can anyone tell me if its possible to clean these sweat stains if that is what they are? I dont believe that is what they are on the top of the hat though.
re-read my reply. I suggested how to clean stains from the hat.

George8

Reaction score
IMG_1994[1].JPG
IMG_1999[1].JPG

IMG_2001[1].JPG

George8

Reaction score
Hey all. Here are the pictures of the outside of the hat and inside.

Right now I still have it in the big plastic see through bag. I did not want to try anything else on it at the moment in case it could cause more damage. Again a bit over a week ago, i used a few lysol wipes on it and it didn't seem to work and then i immediately thought... okay maybe lysol wipes could cause damage so i stopped.

Do you still suggest dish washing liquid? Could these stains from the pics be removed?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth a try. At this point I wouldn't wear that hat without removing the stains

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads