• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classical concerts - what to wear?

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’m after a bit of sensible guidance on what to wear to a classical concert. Think Vivaldi four seasons in an old church type concert not Pavarotti opening night at the royal Albert hall.

What’s the “norm” for these types of events?

Thanks.

Old Red

Reaction score
This last year I've attended symphonies in Syracuse,NY (home), Phoenix, London, and Paris. I'd say the sport coat/collared shirt/no tie has been the most common tailored outfit. You'll see a few suits. And you will see hoodies, etc. The best dressed crowd was Paris but even there only a small minority wore ties.

Our local symphony does casual performances in a church. On those Sunday afternoons a few wear sport coat or sweater with a collared shirt, most sans tie. The majority are in dress trousers, collared shirt and nylon jacket they've removed.

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply. That’s kind of what I imagined so that’s good. I’ll be looking at London and Oxford.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I’d wear a solid navy suit with no tie or with a tie. I’m not really a sport coat guy. But that’s just me.

jazar01

Reaction score
This original post really caught my eye because I'm going to see/hear Vivaldi Four Seasons at an old church-type venue next week! I plan to wear a suit and tie. Should I lean conservative with a solid navy two-button, or go quite bold with a navy and white chalk stripe three-piece? I'd prefer the bold chalk stripe, but don't want to be too out of place. Thoughts?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This original post really caught my eye because I'm going to see/hear Vivaldi Four Seasons at an old church-type venue next week! I plan to wear a suit and tie. Should I lean conservative with a solid navy two-button, or go quite bold with a navy and white chalk stripe three-piece? I'd prefer the bold chalk stripe, but don't want to be too out of place. Thoughts?
As described above, you will see the whole gamut from jeans to suits at concerts nowadays. I doubt the chalkstripe suit would stand out on the basis of its pattern alone, unless there was something very unusual about its cut or styling. At what kinds of events do you feel comfortable wearing that suit?

jazar01

Reaction score
As described above, you will see the whole gamut from jeans to suits at concerts nowadays. I doubt the chalkstripe suit would stand out on the basis of its pattern alone, unless there was something very unusual about its cut or styling. At what kinds of events do you feel comfortable wearing that suit?
Thanks for the reply. I'm generally pretty conservative in dress, so the high-contrast stripes are little bold for me. I'll wear it to a nice dinner, wedding, most events where semi-formal is appropriate. Certainly not to a funeral and probably not to the opera. I think I will wear it to the concert next week. Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads