• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Navy with BOLD white pinstripes Suit. Pics enclosed, views sought.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it would be a case by case basis. This is one case where I do prefer black shoes over brown, as the brown just makes it too busy for my tastes. Like a brown suits seems, at least to me to go better with black shoes; however khaki suits go better with brown shoes. Also, always seems like Ralph Lauren had a strong white stripe/navy suit also:http://www.polo.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=1760781

Purple label does, even with peak lapels.

http://www.domenicovacca.com/index.htm
Has a bold pinstripe solid it appears.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I love Mahon's suits. If you get one like it with pleats, make sure they face forward.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the the darker blue suit (top) with the bold stripes. The lighter of the two seems a bit much too me. Paradoxically, the stripes throw the color into sharper relief (or is it the other way around)?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mafia look is largely due to physical characteristics of the wearer. Without those characteristics or a long, thin frame, the striped suit is a fine choice. But boldly striped is best left to those who feel confident in it.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I interned at a a bank in DB version of this and always got compliments from the higher ups.

There is a weird balance that you have to hit so that you don't look 1920's mafia like as opposed to a professional. I think the shoes make the difference and I usually do very mild tie , and shoes to balance the bold pattern of the suit.

I like the Navy and Black backgrounds white white or light blue stripes.

two questions regarding a black suit with bold but not wide pinstripes:

1. If you are short/stocky (I am 5'8", 210 lbs, 21" shoulders, 46R)

and

2. you get a DB suit in this fabric

will this raise me into Cosa Nostra territory automatically? My wife says yes. Part of me wants to agree with her but I kinda like the F-you attitude of these suits.....naturally I'd tone it down with as un-pimp like a shirt and tie and shoes as possible. BTW I am also 42 and balding if that plays into it....

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
The Mafia look is largely due to physical characteristics of the wearer.

I am 5' 7" with broad shoulders, but not heavy. The pinstripe does give me the mafia look, but I subdue that look with the shoulders of the suit. I got them heavily roped, so the shoulder line isn't flat. It looks more English banker than Italian mob.

I went with forward pleats on the trousers, which in retrospect, was a mistake. I can wear a pretty trim pant, and it seems like the forward pleats make more fabric move to the back of the pant. Single reverse or flat front for me next time.

pgoat

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was looking for thanks.

GREAT avatar and screen name btw!!
tounge.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Although the picture displays a grey chalkstripe suit, not black. Black could work but I would be careful.

pgoat

Reaction score
Really? It looked black to me - and up close they def look like pinstripes....I only own a few chalk stripes right now.

did you mean you thought black looked cool but grey not so cool? Or, that I should watch the frankie knuckles factor with the black?

I like navy and black for pinstripes - even brown sometimes, but I am not a fan of grey striped suits. Grey flannel, yes, especially on Gregory Peck or anyone else taller thinner and more handsome than moi

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right about the pinstripes. It's hard to ascertain the colour from the pics; it could very well be black judging by the tag photo.

Hey if you like it, go for it. Just be judicious about where you wear it.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
You're right about the pinstripes. It's hard to ascertain the colour from the pics; it could very well be black judging by the tag photo.

Hey if you like it, go for it. Just be judicious about where you wear it.

I would be overkillin' wearing it at work .... then again anything more than dockers is overkilling at my office.

actually with the coming summer I kinda want to wear shorts and a tee shirt to work again. Don't want the paycheck that came with that uniform however!

I imagine this is a great suit to wine and dine in...you keep the DB buttoned so no chance of being too gluttonous?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing clothes is all about the attitude . If you wear something aggressive dont apologize for it either openly or subliminally. If you do, youll get flayed alive.

I have always worn whatever I wanted and it never got me into trouble excpet with a handful of people who were mentally ill anyway.

Bottom line, if you do it well and you wear it well, everyone will respond positively to suits like these.

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/ecce-dandy

UMass

Reaction score
I think the suit is fine but tone it down like the first pic. with a solid color tie as the pinstripes are so bold.

Unless, you want to be the center of attention!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads