• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

tunnelno5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EuroCyclist
just created a photobucket acct and testing...anyway, here are my DBs after a couple days wear.

hey euro, nice shoes! im liking the color of your beeswax!

i recently bought my second pair of beeswax DB and sprayed on the clarks water and stain protector. to my shock, the spray sort of left water marks that were discolored. the spots were almost a yellow raw leather color compared to the rest of the shoe. naturally, i took my shoes in to clarks and they applied the oil sponge and the spots went away.

the only problem with this is that i think the oil sponge darkened my shoe.

couple quick questions, im a leather noob...

1) what exactly does the oil sponge do? the pros and cons of the sponge?
2) will my beeswax lighten over time or could they lighten once they dry out a little? i'm aware not every beeswax is the same color, but the range of how dark and light they can come are sort of drastic.
3) have you guys ever had horror stories with the protectant spray? i made sure i didn't oversaturate!!!

supermidget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tunnelno5
hey euro, nice shoes! im liking the color of your beeswax!

i recently bought my second pair of beeswax DB and sprayed on the clarks water and stain protector. to my shock, the spray sort of left water marks that were discolored. the spots were almost a yellow raw leather color compared to the rest of the shoe. naturally, i took my shoes in to clarks and they applied the oil sponge and the spots went away.

the only problem with this is that i think the oil sponge darkened my shoe.

couple quick questions, im a leather noob...

1) what exactly does the oil sponge do? the pros and cons of the sponge?
2) will my beeswax lighten over time or could they lighten once they dry out a little? i'm aware not every beeswax is the same color, but the range of how dark and light they can come are sort of drastic.
3) have you guys ever had horror stories with the protectant spray? i made sure i didn't oversaturate!!!

i've actually had the same experience with the spray. the discoloration went away though after about 24 hours. i remember the spray claiming to need something like 6 hrs to settle but given more time, the discoloration went away.

supermidget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abliss
Could I get you to elaborate about their size? - What size do you war in Vans, Red Wings, Converse (Low/High)?, Adidas Samba, Clarks or perhaps Paul Smith and of course the MacAllisters. If you have knowledge of any of those above.

im a 7.5 in sambas, 7.5 in jack purcells (not sure if its exactly the same as regular converse), a 7.5->8 in clarks db. vans.... im a 8 i believe.
most importantly, im very comfortable in a 7 for the macallisters.

hope that helped.

dawit

Reaction score
Any good deals on Clarks DB's (grey or black) anywhere online?

kylel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Why? what's wrong with them?

It isn't like the sole is falling off...just the section between the stitching and the edge is coming up a little...stop picking at it and wear them

I would tend to agree with you, but the sole started coming away with less than a month of wear! additionally, although the sole isn't coming off, it's basically creating a hole so water, etc. can reach your foot. Kinda defeats the purpose of a boot doesn't it?

handsometigers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylel
I would tend to agree with you, but the sole started coming away with less than a month of wear! additionally, although the sole isn't coming off, it's basically creating a hole so water, etc. can reach your foot. Kinda defeats the purpose of a boot doesn't it?
These aren't boots for the rain or snow. The best we can do is sno-seal them, which I've done and have prevented water from going in. Also, these aren't winter boots and my feet freeze in the morning/night. They are definitely true to their name and I have no complaints.
smile.gif

tunnelno5

Reaction score
is there any way to get my tongue to stay in the middle of the shoe? my beeswax tongue keeps going off to the side (left shoe the tongue goes left, right shoe the tongue goes right) , it's a bit uncomfy.

some pics (like eurocyclist) of the beeswax the tongue is in the middle, while others the tongue is going to the outside of the shoe (like the pic i posted before)

300zx1985

Reaction score
is there any way to get my tongue to stay in the middle of the shoe? my beeswax tongue keeps going off to the side (left shoe the tongue goes left, right shoe the tongue goes right) , it's a bit uncomfy.

some pics (like eurocyclist) of the beeswax the tongue is in the middle, while others the tongue is going to the outside of the shoe (like the pic i posted before)

try trying them on tighter mine never shifts

lwkeung

Reaction score
Has anyone's Crepe sole start to harden, from the crepe drying out or just layers of gunk?
Is there anyway that this can be cleaned?

I heard a method of placing them in the oven to return it to it's original suppleness.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put a strip of fine grit adhesive sand paper on the inside of the tongue.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by handsometigers
These aren't boots for the rain or snow. The best we can do is sno-seal them, which I've done and have prevented water from going in. Also, these aren't winter boots and my feet freeze in the morning/night. They are definitely true to their name and I have no complaints.
smile.gif

They were invented for troops in the North African desert...hence the name...

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puppy chewed the ends of my laces yesterday ... where do i go to get replacement laces? any alternatives that are better quality then the ones that come with? (not puppy proof, just general better quality ... i wont be leaving my shoes out again)

whereismyshoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
puppy chewed the ends of my laces yesterday ... where do i go to get replacement laces? any alternatives that are better quality then the ones that come with? (not puppy proof, just general better quality ... i wont be leaving my shoes out again)

I contacted clarks for a replacement pair, just say they broke and they'll send you a new pair. If you've got beeswax though, they will most likely send you a dark brown pair of laces for some reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads