• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

circuit training and workout sched for a fat guy?

mcjackson

Reaction score
What's goin on people?

7 years ago I played on my city and national youth football clubs...at 18 I was 6'1, 180, really active etc etc, great shape. I got injured (twice), went to college, continued a sedentary professional lifestyle afterward, and ate incredibly stupidly...now I'm 6'1, 215 lb, with 28% bodyfat (got measured today, shocked/depressed me big time). I developed a huuuge potbelly a couple years ago, and this year manboobs started to show up. It's real cool..

I'm changing everything around..the diet I think I understand and can handle. Avoid complex carbs, eat lots of protein, cut out sugar and junk/fast food, eat lots of small meals...pretty much right?

The workout is a little trickier. The only type of gym-exercise I'm familiar with is traditional daily splits, working out different groups of muscles on different days (i.e. MON: triceps/shoulders TUE: chest/biceps etc)...I'm sure there's a proper term for it, but I don't know it. One of my friends suggested circuit training...which sounds cool, but I don't know how to put together an appropriate program. Can someone suggest something or show me a website where they do this for free? I have no desire to get any bigger, I just wanna lose the belly, tone up and all that. I can't run on the treadmill for long cuz of 2 mangled knees..I can bike for longer, but it doesn't seem to do as much.

Long story short - does circuit training sound like the right general idea (in addition to better lifestyle and all that)? Is there another form of exercise program I'm not familiar with that would be better? How many times a week should I go? Should I go hardcore and do 2-a-days (lift in the morning, run/bike/cardio in the evening)?

Just looking for some general advice...I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks guys

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
circuit training will do you good, keep the HR up.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your body will tell you when your doing too much, until then, push the envelope. My guess is that as a former high level athlete you know how to train properly. Circuit training is a good option and is not boring.

Have you ever considered rowing.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads