• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

BearStearns

Reaction score

Doesn’t look good for Church’s, the reduction in staff numbers at such scale bodes badly. I’ve noticed an increasing number of shoes on their website no longer saying “Made in Northampton “ in the blurb. Some still do, lots do not. I wonder if they’re therefore increasingly off shoring ( possibly near shoring)?
Well the new Church's customer, the international shopper from China, neither knows nor cares about whether their shoes are Goodyear welted or made in Northampton. If their customer base does not care anymore, why should Church's waste their time maintaining these qualities. All the new Church's customer cares about is if their shoes are overpriced so they can be conspicuous consumption.

BearStearns

Reaction score
I fell off my chair when I saw the prices - they've almost doubled in the last few years - crazy stuff. How can this be justified?
It cannot, but that is precisely the point. Church's has gone to great lengths to reposition itself to be a fashion brand. It wants to exist in the world where clothes—and shoes—are judged by consumers on price alone. Church's has entered the market where the more overprice a good is, the more desirable it is.

The prices can be justified in the sense that Church's has made it explicitly clear these past couple of years that they do not want their customer base to be people who are seriously interested in shoes. Their new customers are undemanding and uninformed—at once willing to appreciate whatever is put in their hands, so long as it is expensive.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It cannot, but that is precisely the point. Church's has gone to great lengths to reposition itself to be a fashion brand. It wants to exist in the world where clothes—and shoes—are judged by consumers on price alone. Church's has entered the market where the more overprice a good is, the more desirable it is.

The prices can be justified in the sense that Church's has made it explicitly clear these past couple of years that they do not want their customer base to be people who are seriously interested in shoes. Their new customers are undemanding and uninformed—at once willing to appreciate whatever is put in their hands, so long as it is expensive.

Unfortunately that sounds quite accurate. The price hike has stopped me from buying Church's even though I still love Consul and Grafton in 173 last.

The price hike carried the message that I am not Church's target customer any more.

BearStearns

Reaction score
Unfortunately that sounds quite accurate. The price hike has stopped me from buying Church's even though I still love Consul and Grafton in 173 last.

The price hike carried the message that I am not Church's target customer any more.
I think at this point it is simply, if you have intelligence you are no longer the Church's target customer anymore.

Funposter

Reaction score
If you miss Church's ever there is always eBay and Abbot's.
Abbott's is a fantastic option since they seem to price them appropriately - slightly cheaper than Crockett & Jones, but more expensive than Cheaney, or in the next tier below, Loake/Sanders/Barker It really writes home how ridiculous the price hike was when you see "As New" pairs selling for 1/3 of RRP.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Abbott's is a fantastic option since they seem to price them appropriately - slightly cheaper than Crockett & Jones, but more expensive than Cheaney, or in the next tier below, Loake/Sanders/Barker It really writes home how ridiculous the price hike was when you see "As New" pairs selling for 1/3 of RRP.
I have also moved away from Church's and have bought 3 pairs of Crockett and Jones since the price increase. However, I wouldn't, personally, pay more than 1/3 of RRP for ANY used shoes.

BearStearns

Reaction score
I didn't know about Abbot's - thanks for sharing the link.
No problem. Abbot's is amazing, pretty much every shoe brand you can think of—everything from Allen Edmonds to Berluti—and the prices are very reasonable for the condition. Many times Abbot's also sells new shoes as well. For example, they have several pairs of brand new Church's priced at the pre-price hike level.

Funposter

Reaction score
I have also moved away from Church's and have bought 3 pairs of Crockett and Jones since the price increase. However, I wouldn't, personally, pay more than 1/3 of RRP for ANY used shoes.
I should clarify that the 'As New' here applies to shoes that have barely scuffed leather soles, meaning that they've likely been tried on once and immediately sold-on to Abbots. I think some of them might be ex-display or seconds models, too. Shoes from other brands listed as being in "Excellent" condition on Abbott's (so less than a year of wear, well-taken care of) sell for about 40-50% of RRP. The enormous price reduction is unique to Church's. Genuinely used pairs, even in great shape, go for 1/6 of RRP.

shoefan57

Reaction score
I've used Abbots Shoes with good experience. However the one thing that bugs me is when they sell a shoe at what appears to be about half of the "new price" except that the shoe ( albeit in new(ish) condition) is a shoe last made maybe ten or fifteen years ago and therefore in all likelihood sold at about the price Abbots are charging.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
I should clarify that the 'As New' here applies to shoes that have barely scuffed leather soles, meaning that they've likely been tried on once and immediately sold-on to Abbots. I think some of them might be ex-display or seconds models, too. Shoes from other brands listed as being in "Excellent" condition on Abbott's (so less than a year of wear, well-taken care of) sell for about 40-50% of RRP. The enormous price reduction is unique to Church's. Genuinely used pairs, even in great shape, go for 1/6 of RRP.
I think the church's shoes on Abbott's will be old stock from before the price increase. Just for the record, I have a pair of Cheaney Pennine II that I got in a factory sale brand new, never tried on for £70.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that retailers are heavily discounting Church’s shoes at sale time. Discounts in excess of 50%, for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads