• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christening gift ideas for my god-son....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

I am godfather to my nephew, christening is in a couple of weeks....so I need some ideas for gifts for the little guy.

I'm not remotely Christian - Catholic school will do that to ya - so I feel like doing the expensive rosary beads and a St Whoever medallion would be a bit odd.

I'd like him to be able to keep it though....ideas?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I highly suggest this:

33047774.jpg

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case of Whisky / Port from his birth year to be opened / presented when he comes of age (drinking or otherwise).

Whatever you give him, its not like he is going to be able to use / appreciate it now.

K

edit: Walrus is also a good option.

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Case of Whisky / Port from his birth year to be opened / presented when he comes of age (drinking or otherwise)...

I actually quite like this idea, though I'm not sure how his parents would feel about it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my god daughter will be christened in 3 weeks and though 'm a lapsed catholic, i'm doing the crucifix/cash combo.

Originally Posted by m@T
Any suggestions?

I am godfather to my nephew, christening is in a couple of weeks....so I need some ideas for gifts for the little guy.

I'm not remotely Christian - Catholic school will do that to ya - so I feel like doing the expensive rosary beads and a St Whoever medallion would be a bit odd.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I am godfather to quite a few. I have found that nothing lasts.

As impersonal as it is, I find money and a medal to be the best option. It is put into the childs
account and they can use it when they get older. I had considered starting a 529 college savings for the last one, but I think I just got lazy and just gave the check, I can't remember.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lady Canuker
I actually quite like this idea, though I'm not sure how his parents would feel about it.

If they choose m@t to be godfather, they should be ok with it.

Another thing I see is that if you give it to the kid at their 18th or 21st B-days, its not going to be appreciated in the right way. At 18 I would have taken it to a party and swigged it out of the bottle to get wasted.

K

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome idea,
teacha.gif
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Case of Whisky / Port from his birth year to be opened / presented when he comes of age (drinking or otherwise). Whatever you give him, its not like he is going to be able to use / appreciate it now. K edit: Walrus is also a good option.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Any suggestions?

Matt,

I would do a double gift, based on being in VN. there is a great shop with embrodered clothing not to far from the central market om HCM. get his a few sets of nice shirts and shorts, him mom will apprectiate that.

then, get him one of the nice antique watches that is available in town, get it engraved with something like "from your godfather on the occasion of your chrisining". give it to him at his wedding, or give it to his parents to give him at his wedding. (you can exchange college graduation for wedding, if you want.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, I was thinking about a watch actually. The ones in Saigon can't really be trusted, but ya, maybe buy something duty free on the way in and have it engraved, give it to his mother. Not much of a watch expert...and wouldn't wanna spend a small fortune on it, but ya, possible.

Watch guys - suggestions? Under a grand please.

The other thing I was thinking of doing was starting a bank account for the kid. Putting a grand in now, and maybe 250 a year every year til his 18th b'day. With a heavily government subsidised university system back home, and factoring in almost two decades of interest, it would probably put him through college.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to do one for my god daughter. I am completely ignorant of how this works, and was shocked to be asked. She is being baptised (so I guess they are not catholic?) Any ideas for a gift? I was thinking savings bond.....

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
The other thing I was thinking of doing was starting a bank account for the kid. Putting a grand in now, and maybe 250 a year every year til his 18th b'day. With a heavily government subsidised university system back home, and factoring in almost two decades of interest, it would probably put him through college.

This was my point with the 529 account, I omited the yearly contribution but I thought that was understood with any godchild. I don't know where you are so whatever investment vehicle is applicable.

I always do watches at first communion.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I have to do one for my god daughter. I am completely ignorant of how this works, and was shocked to be asked. She is being baptised (so I guess they are not catholic?) Any ideas for a gift? I was thinking savings bond.....

Catholics are baptised at the christening.

On my last go I had to get a letter from the church saying I was in good standing, so I guess it varies from parish to parish.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Catholics are baptised at the christening.

On my last go I had to get a letter from the church saying I was in good standing, so I guess it varies from parish to parish.

I am Jewish
baldy[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads