• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing A Boot

Jay687

Reaction score
I've been looking for a slim, dark brown work boot. I like the look of more distressed leather, not looking for something dressy/shiny. And I'd really like the boot to handle weather and be durable through the years, so cannot just be about looks. Also, would rather not spend more than $200. Need opinions on these boots in terms of comfort, durability, and weatherability: LL Bean Katahdin Engineer Boot: these seem perfect in terms of everything except not dark enough for me. I can treat them to get the dark color, but not sure I like as much as the other ones I found. Oh well. Still nice and under consideration.
shoe_m_004.jpg
Rockport Bilkis: I think these are a nice alternative to the more expensive Frye Fultons, but unsure about durability and what not.
021954_111_1.jpg
Frye Fulton: Expensive for me at $225, but love the look.
Frye_FultonLaceUp_DarkBrown.jpg
Aldo Dicaprio:
26_dicaprio_22_2.jpg
Steve Madden Wynner:
1046235-t-THUMBNAIL.jpg
Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice/opinions on the above and also would appreciate some other boot recommendations as well.

Dentata

Reaction score
I know you're trying to save money and all, but you're gonna look awfully silly just wearing one boot. Not to mention the fact that it'll totally **** up your gait.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Check the 98 other boot threads on this page.

Jay687

Reaction score
I have. I've check literally 100+ pages. Overwhelming to say the least.

I expected to get a reply like this. You guys here need to deal with new posts. Sometimes people are still looking for tailored answers. I searched as much as possible to refine the style and look I want, I got as much out of the threads I looked at. I searched for the above boots, many of which, like the Rockports or Steve Maddens, have nothing on them (well Rockports have one thread with like 5 replies).

So, please, deal with an extra post. Are you paying for the bandwidth here? I don't think so. Is this extra thread really a bother?

I'm sorry to fill part of this precious message board with another new thread, but I am looking for some specific help. If you don't want to help, don't come in and reply. Sorry for the attitude, but it just annoys me. I did look on the other threads. For a very long time. Now I want some specific help... is that so terrible?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

If everyone gets to start a new thread, for every garbage question they come up with, then our front two pages become garbage, it no useful discussion ever happens.

Why don't you ask in one of the many pinned threads for questions, one of the non-pinned discussion threads or, send a P.M?

Jay687

Reaction score
Whatever then... if that's how you guys do things here, basically just all post in the same few threads for hundreds of pages, then I'll go do that and add more to one.

I don't think I can delete this thread though, can I? If not, moderators, feel free to do so or if someone can lemme know how I can... thanks.

Fiddy

Reaction score
You might also want to check out the Red Wing GT and Iron Ranger boots...

Out of the options you posted, I vote for the Beans. Hit them with Sno-Seal or Obenauf's and they'll darken up nicely.

Jay687

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I actually do like the Iron Rangers, unfortunately a bit expensive. The Beans are very similar though, and more reasonably price.

Thakns for that vote as well... as of now, I'm leaning towards them. I just wonder how well they will darken or if I'll mess it up and make them look bad. Easier if they start nice and dark. Oh well.

Anyways, this is on the "question" thread now, so if mods wanna delete this or people want to let it slide to bottom, that's okay. I'm not really used to message boards that are so against new posts... but guess I should follow the ways you guys do things. I guess you aren't looking for new threads around here and more so to add volume to the "official" threads you've already got.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They all suck with the exception of the Katahdin. The Frye looks like it could be interesting, but the made in Mexico aspect and the quilted upper kill it for me. RW Iron Ranger is nice, as mentioned; I own them, but they aren't particulaly slim.

You should really think about coughing up an extra hundred and buying some Fiorentini & Bakers on sale.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Thank you for the info. I actually do like the Iron Rangers, unfortunately a bit expensive. The Beans are very similar though, and more reasonably price.

Thakns for that vote as well... as of now, I'm leaning towards them. I just wonder how well they will darken or if I'll mess it up and make them look bad. Easier if they start nice and dark. Oh well.

Anyways, this is on the "question" thread now, so if mods wanna delete this or people want to let it slide to bottom, that's okay. I'm not really used to message boards that are so against new posts... but guess I should follow the ways you guys do things. I guess you aren't looking for new threads around here and more so to add volume to the "official" threads you've already got.

Dude, I paid $168 shipped for Iron Rangers from Papashoes. There are deals out there.

Jay687

Reaction score
I agree that the Frye are probably the best bet besides the Katahdin I guess. But does made in Mexico really mean less quality? Anyone have first hand experience with them of Frye?

The other ones are probably all lesser quality really, so don't think i'll get any... but they still give an idea of the look I am going for.

And I'll have to look around for RW IR for a good price and then will consider those as well since they are nice.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
I don't want to pull out the special flower comment but this is definitely a special flower thread (especially if you've searched the other threads). If you can't come to a conclusion after reading the stylish/durable boot thread, red wing thread, etc., then the problem is that you can't make the decision for yourself and want approval of others. Just go with the Katahdins. I have them and they're great. They darken up after treated, have a vibram sole which is good for wet conditions, goodyear welted, full grain leather, economical, etc, etc.

Fiddy

Reaction score

Visit the streetwear shoes and boots thread, I actually posted a few shots of my Katahdins there not too long ago.

Also worth mentioning: Katahdins are made in the USA and Bean has the best customer service I've ever encountered, period.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Frye are probably the best bet besides the Katahdin I guess. But does made in Mexico really mean less quality? Anyone have first hand experience with them of Frye?

The other ones are probably all lesser quality really, so don't think i'll get any... but they still give an idea of the look I am going for.

And I'll have to look around for RW IR for a good price and then will consider those as well since they are nice.

Yup, three pair of the USA made and two pair Mexico. The leather on the Mexican made ones is much lower quality and looks cheaper. Soles on the Mexican ones are ok however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads