• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Loop Alterations Tailor (redux)

deaddog

Reaction score
There have been several threads seeking a decent alterations tailor in Chicago. They can be summed up nicely as Despos is God and everybody else sucks (and a jerk to boot). But, as we all know, Despsos isn't taking alterations. The only other guy not trashed is Mega up on Superior.

So, can it really be the case that a major city such as Chicago doesn't have a single decent alterations tailor located downtown, in the Loop?

It appears that there are a lot of guys on this board from Chicago who are buying discount clothes - who are you using? Are you all going to Mega? Special deals with Despos? Sewing your own?

Any input on Loop guys (or even Western 'burbs) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've used Paul Chang before and everything turned out fine--but then, I just had him do some very simple alterations (mostly hemming pants). I think he's a little pricey, though.

deaddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've used Paul Chang before and everything turned out fine--but then, I just had him do some very simple alterations (mostly hemming pants). I think he's a little pricey, though.

Thanks - was your work with Chang recent? I've seen at least one pretty negative report - maybe things have improved?

JamesT

Reaction score
laugh.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I recently met James at Chris Despos's shop. James's suit caught my eye--it looked so good, I assumed he made it for himself from scratch. Later, he told me it was a RTW suit he altered! So, if you need someone to do serious alterations, there's a thought.

JamesT

Reaction score
^^^ I recently met James at Chris Despos's shop. James's suit caught my eye--it looked so good, I assumed he made it for himself from scratch. Later, he told me it was a RTW suit he altered! So, if you need someone to do serious alterations, there's a thought.

eh.gif

Thanks for the recommendation and the compliment.

To the OP, what sort of work do you need done?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last time I visited Chris's shop James's suit fit like a glove, in a good way. Oh to to be thin. He also has good taste in squares - of the pocket variety, maybe cigarettes too.

WorkingClassHero

Reaction score
I use Nick at Quality Tailoring & Alterations - Chicagotailor.com - 28 E. Jackson, suite 1402. 312-427-3110. Down to earth, highly skilled, with old-world training, quick and affordable. Give him a try. He also frequently has stuff from Oxxford (he has done work for them on and off for many years) for very cheap!

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Last time I visited Chris's shop James's suit fit like a glove, in a good way. Oh to to be thin. He also has good taste in squares - of the pocket variety, maybe cigarettes too.

Part of the reason I wanted to become a tailor was because I am too tall and thin to fit into anything off the rack and knew I would never have a job that would let me afford to become a client.

Regarding the pocket squares, "Great Minds...
wink.gif
"

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
I frequently take alterations to Paul Chang. His prices are competitive, he does not take too long to perform the work, and he always has finished on time for me. I recently picked-up some alterations from Paul and I have a couple in the pipe with him right now that should be finished tomorrow of Thursday.

His shop being less than a block away from my office. That adds to the appeal too. paul and Jerry are also very accommodating in tightening a button and stuff like tha while I wait. Usually at no charge.

I also find Paul, and his collauge Jerry who works in his shop with him, to be very affable and interesting to talk to.

I'm planning on bespeaking a suit to Paul when I can spare the cash for it.

I'm very pleased with Paul's service and demeanor.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
That's an interesting question, I'm also in the city and looking to alter a suit I picked up on the forum. I was thinking of trying Despos but wasn't aware he isnt taking alterations.
James, do you run a business or is tailoring more of a hobby?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Maria Tesseris at Golden Needle on State Street just north of Chicago Avenue, a charming and elegant Greek lady from Sparta.

She has altered many, many garments for me (going as far as removing the heavy padding from old Corneliani and Ferre suits while raising the shoulders so that they look more contemporary and transforming a thrifted Chester Barrie blazer from a double vested to a peak lapel single breasted).

She's amazing and was named one of "Chicago's Best" for 2007 in Chicago Magazine. She does a lot of alterations for the well-to-do on the Gold Coast, e.g. Brioni suits for men, Vivienne Westwood and Prada for women. Maria also does the alterations for the local Marc Jacobs store.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my name and you can tell her that I referred you.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a glen plaid sportcoat to Paul Chang to have the center seam repaired. It came back with the pattern mismatched and rippling down one panel. When I pointed it out he assured me that it just need a bit of pressing. I told him that no amount of pressing would realign the pattern. He said," You'll see", and proceeded to go to town on the jacket with a hot iron, SANS PRESSING CLOTH.
eek.gif

The pressing effort was ineffective (as we both knew it would be) and he reluctantly agreed to a do-over.

Two weeks later (a week late, as per usual) when I entered the shop Paul saw me and immediately slipped out of sight into the back, leaving his nephew to show me that the sportcoat had finally been properly repaired, smoothly sewn with matching patterns.

I had the opportunity to see Paul interact with several other customers and the try-ons always began with Paul yelling,"PERFECT!!!", no matter how well done or shoddy the work.
rolleyes.gif

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
James, do you run a business or is tailoring more of a hobby?

Neither.

I work for Despos as his apprentice, secretary, inventory manager, sample-updater, finder-of-lost-items, shipper, and for the past week or so, his chauffeur.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Neither.

I work for Despos as his apprentice, secretary, inventory manager, sample-updater, finder-of-lost-items, shipper, and for the past week or so, his chauffeur.

Sounds like a regular apprenticeship to me
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads