• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jwong6590

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just got myself into high quality English shoes lately and I need your advise and your opinion.

I am debating between a Cheaney Oxford at USD 212 or Crockett & Jones Benchgrade Oxford at USD333.

Is C&J worth the extra? Why?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odds will go to C&J. My guess is, more handwork and better grade leathers.
lurker[1].gif

cimabue

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Cheaney Renoirs and love the old school English last. Have yet to really lay me hands on a pair of C & J's. They do look awfully nice even though I generally don't favor elongated lasts.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 pairs of C&Js (4 pairs of benchgrades, 1 pair of handgrades), and superficially comparing them to Cheaney's I feel that the leather quality is slightly better on the C&Js. That said, I think they're close enough (at least from my non-expert perspective) that I would go with the lasts which fit you better.

Macallan

Reaction score
I have 4 Cheaney's (1 own brand, 3 outsourced work) vs 2 C&J's and although my fave out of the bunch is outsourced Cheaney's, I would say C&J.

- slightly higher quality leather, better construction,

jwong6590

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your quick responds. I am actually eyeing Cheaney Sloane. I would like to save some money for buying Cheaney. Are those prices that I mentioned reasonable? Is Cheaney equilavent to Rolex in the wristwatch world? What I mean is how good of a brand is Cheaney?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have access to them in person, use your in-person judgment and fit assessment. Some Cheaneys are very nice, but they have a ton of different lines and some aren't so nice.

Otherwise, expect to see at least some of the difference of $120 reflected in the product.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwong6590
Thanks everyone for your quick responds. I am actually eyeing Cheaney Sloane. I would like to save some money for buying Cheaney. Are those prices that I mentioned reasonable? Is Cheaney equilavent to Rolex in the wristwatch world? What I mean is how good of a brand is Cheaney?

Cheaney are a very respectable mid-tier English shoemaker, roughly on par with C&J, Trickers, etc. Again, I would say that C&J, Trickers, etc. use better quality leathers and slightly better construction, but for non-experts this difference would probably be barely distinguishable. If you're concerned about saving money and not too particular, I would just go with the Cheaney's. They do make very nice shoes that are good value for money.I would echo other posters and say that it's best to try before you buy, because Cheaney F-width (normal) generally tend to fit more narrowly than C&J's E-width (normal), so if you have a wider foot, they may be a less comfortable fit (depending on the last).

KayJay85

Reaction score
Cheaney are also releasing a new line of footwear following their takeover by the Church brothers. The new range looks like it will be of higher quality (and price) than existing products.

I understand that the new online shop will open from September but recall that they might not be dealing with Intl purchases immediately.

If you search here or on AAAC then you should be able to find the thread which mentions the above.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KayJay85
Cheaney are also releasing a new line of footwear following their takeover by the Church brothers. The new range looks like it will be of higher quality (and price) than existing products. I understand that the new online shop will open from September but recall that they might not be dealing with Intl purchases immediately. If you search here or on AAAC then you should be able to find the thread which mentions the above.
This is interesting. Look forward to seeing the new line up.

jwong6590

Reaction score
Is Cheaney shoes comfortable? How long will it last? I am eyeing Cheaney Caine from their Signature series. Is the leather good quality? I think I can get it for USD 211. Is it reasonable?What is Matrix Welted Leather Sole?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a good price for a good shoe. Have no idea about the Matrix, but take the blue pill.

jwong6590

Reaction score
I think I have made up my mine to get Crockett and Jones Oxford. Therefore, it is gonna be either Hallam, Connaught or Bedford. What is the reasonable price? Is USD333 reasonable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads