• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt/TM Lewin suits

BareSolid

Reaction score
Has anyone tried suits from either of these brands who can comment on their quality? I need a first decent suit and my budget is £200. I am unprepared to buy a MTM one from abroad as my first suit order, as I'd rather get a few RTW suits that are returnable so that I can get a better and better idea of what my measurements are.

Can you comment on their quality, and if they are bad, can you suggest an alternative at a similar price?

Thanks ever so much.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not bad, but not great either - most that I've seen have been fused, but not badly so, and with adequate fabric. Basically, they're what you should expect for £200. Other options might be Roderick Charles (who drop their suits down to ~£250 at the end of sale) or Ede & Ravenscroft (more like £300, but good quality).

B|aze

Reaction score
I have a couple of TM Lewin suits.
I think the quality is good when you get the suits at a discount.
They are half canvassed.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Roderick's suits are now at around £300, what is the cut like? The shoulder padding? Waist suppression? One of my main beefs with many suits is that the trousers do not come high enough up on the waist, is this a problem with RC? Sorry for all the questions.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
I have a couple of TM Lewin suits.
I think the quality is good when you get the suits at a discount.
They are half canvassed.

Got any pics?

Reaction score
I am just about to buy a TM Lewin suit. I know it's not going to be to the standard of my MTM stuff from Graham Browne, etc. However, they are having a sale now in the UK, and half canvassed suits are going for £199 (down from £500-£600).

They also have a 3-month no-quibble guarantee, so if I don't like it when it arrives and I try it on, it's going straight back.

Still, £200 for half-canvassed is cheaper than SuitSupply.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the price point, I also will go for TM Lewin.

However, their three piece is a total disaster... waistcoat cut way too low, trouser too low rise.

Once try bespoke, never go back even price is high.

Lucan

Reaction score
Roderick's suits are now at around £300, what is the cut like? The shoulder padding? Waist suppression? One of my main beefs with many suits is that the trousers do not come high enough up on the waist, is this a problem with RC? Sorry for all the questions.
Do you have an Austin Reed outlet near you? The suits there tend to be around £150 to £200, and the trousers will certainly be high up enough. The suit I'm wearing today is AR and my issue is that the trousers come too high up for me and I want to lower the waist at some point!

Waist suppression will require some work to be done, but it's a straightforward job and my jacket looks much improved since I did it.

I also had the legs tapered on my suit, but mine is a pretty reasonable cloth for OTR and was £179 to start with, so not much over £200 once I'd had all the work done.

steffenbp11

Reaction score

I am just about to buy a TM Lewin suit. I know it's not going to be to the standard of my MTM stuff from Graham Browne, etc. However, they are having a sale now in the UK, and half canvassed suits are going for £199 (down from £500-£600).
They also have a 3-month no-quibble guarantee, so if I don't like it when it arrives and I try it on, it's going straight back.
Still, £200 for half-canvassed is cheaper than SuitSupply.

I have a TM Lewin light grey sharkskin suit I bought a few years ago. Very durable. It's in my weekly rotation and still showing very few signs of wear. I prefer my suit Supply suit though. the attention to detail is greater ( better buttons, better lining) and better fit ( for me at least). the TM Lewein buttons are boring plastic buttons and the lining is a dull shade of grey...Plus the shoulders and chest are quite strong..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads