• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Clayton worsted suiting cloth

HitMan009

Reaction score
I just recieved my mailer from WWChan and was struck by this cloth as their special. I have never heard of Charles Clayton... Can someone fill me in on who they are and most importantly, the quality of their woolens.

Thanks

-HitMan009

uriahheep

Reaction score
The quality is pretty good. Clayton is, predictably, British. I'm not sure whether Clayton is an actual weaver or a "weaver without looms," essentially a cloth designer and fabric merchant as Dormeuil is. The Clayton lines I've seen are Super 120s, Super 150s, Super 150s Tropical, Super 170s and Super 180s.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, uriahheep. Does anyone else have insight into this brand?

jester

Reaction score
No knowledge of the brand, but I will say that I didn't especially like the pinstripe design of the sample I got in my Chan mailing </thanks for the help>.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My flier hasn't shown up, yet. What's the price for a 2-piece suit and the yarn length (Super 120s, etc)?

dan

HitMan009

Reaction score
It's Super150s.  The price is $910.  The fabric appears to have a nice spring to it.  Pinching as much as fabric as I can from the small swatch, it appears to spring back quite well.  I am thinking it will be a quite good drape. I don't know if I would get a suit with such a high thread count. Comparing the first suit I got from WWChan which was a VBC Revenge to my Loro Piana 120s from the last visit, I would say the VBC cloth to have a much smoother hand and better characteristics material wise. I do love the Loro Piana suit more because I added more personal touches to it and is in a midnight blue. Much more striking then the charcoal grey herringbone of the VBC Revenge fabric.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arg -- an increase in the price and a decrease in the practicality of the fabric.  I agree that my VBC Revenge is wearing better than my other fabrics and I have no need for an ultra-fine suit that I can wear only sparingly.  I really wanted to order a regular work suit in charcoal this time around but I guess that's not going to happen.

dan

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For this trip, I'm pretty set on one-button, peaked lapels, double-breasted vest, trousers for braces.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
For this trip, I'm pretty set on one-button, peaked lapels, double-breasted vest, trousers for braces.
Sooner or later I'll get around to posting pics of my grey two button peaked lapel. It's gorgeous.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(zjpj83 @ Feb. 15 2005,15:44) For this trip, I'm pretty set on one-button, peaked lapels, double-breasted vest, trousers for braces.
Sooner or later I'll get around to posting pics of my grey two button peaked lapel. It's gorgeous.
I basically want to copy this suit by Darren. I have mulled doing a two button vs. one.
untitled72vp5nw.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A one-button peak lapel suit is to me one of the pinnacles of the sartorial art. If well done, it will look perfect, uncommon and quite dashing, however if not done properly the look will fail miserably.

I am sure Darren can make you an exceptional suit, his pictures at least look to be those of a master (I have no personal experience, nor to my knowledge have I seen one of his suits, so please don not go by my very limited experience with his wares).

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads