• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League '09

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cleav
I'll take Chelsea 09. Difficult to accept United in 08. Better team, tactically, won. Great goal from Scholes to win/grace any game.
07/08 Leg 1: ______________Barcelona MUFC Time of Possession \t 73% \t 27% Leg 2: Time of Possession \t 62% \t 38% 08/09 Leg 1: ______________Barcelona CFC Time of Possession \t 71% \t 30% Leg 2: Time of Possession \t 71% \t 29%

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
07/08

Leg 1:
______________Barcelona MUFC
Time of Possession \t 73% \t 27%

Leg 2:

Time of Possession \t 62% \t 38%

08/09

Leg 1:
______________Barcelona CFC
Time of Possession \t 71% \t 30%

Leg 2:

Time of Possession \t 71% \t 29%

Possession? Can't remember the last time a game was won in this fashion.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Like I said better team, tactically, WON! Then went on to win the trophy...
teacha.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possession? Can't remember the last time a game was won in this fashion.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Like I said better team, tactically, WON! Then went on to win the trophy...
teacha.gif

I wasn't talking about winning the game. I was talking about a team's tactics and strategy for the game.

They parked the bus. Yes, they won and they were probably the better team, but they parked the bus to do so.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about winning the game. I was talking about a team's tactics and strategy for the game.

They parked the bus. Yes, they won and they were probably the better team, but they parked the bus to do so.

It would appear we are making the same point. The only difference being you want to hold on to the phrase parking the bus, whilst accepting that tactically Barca were out thought were United were superior.

More importantly, Barca v Arsenal is quite a prospect as it won't be a defensive masterclass!

Looking forward to that.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would appear we are making the same point. The only difference being you want to hold on to the phrase parking the bus, whilst accepting that tactically Barca were out thought were United were superior.

More importantly, Barca v Arsenal is quite a prospect as it won't be a defensive masterclass!

Looking forward to that.

No, we're not. I said that Arsenal will be the first team to not park the bus vs. Barça in recent years (my opinion has since changed, I guarantee you they will), you said which teams did, I gave stats, you came back with with information about results rather than tactics (which was my original point)....and here we are.

I'd also beg to differ on your opinion of Barcelona's defensive prowess. They've given up only 18 goals in the league, by far best in Spain. And while I don't have #'s off the top of my head re: CL defensive stats, I'd be willing to bet they were near the top of the rankings there, too.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, we're not. I said that Arsenal will be the first team to not park the bus vs. Barça in recent years (my opinion has since changed, I guarantee you they will), you said which teams did, I gave stats, you came back with with information about results rather than tactics (which was my original point)....and here we are.

I'd also beg to differ on your opinion of Barcelona's defensive prowess. They've given up only 18 goals in the league, by far best in Spain. And while I don't have #'s off the top of my head re: CL defensive stats, I'd be willing to bet they were near the top of the rankings there, too.

You and Tokyo Slim should compare stats!
smile.gif

* What's "park the bus"?

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score

Why do you think we'll park the bus? Think you might very well see us being much more cautious at Emirates trying to make sure we don't concede an away goal (unlikely), but I think we'll go all out at Camp Nou.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why are you at odds with yourself? ^^^
eh.gif

I said tactically the best/better team won...

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You and Tokyo Slim should compare stats!
smile.gif

* What's "park the bus"?

Taken from last year's CL, here you go-

"This week's English for football is 'park the bus'. Many people say that this phrase
was first said by Jose Mourinho when he was Chelsea's manager. He was
describing a negative Tottenham team who played very defensively in a meeting
between the two London clubs some years ago. To park the bus, means to play
very defensively, to get a lot of players behind the ball, to have no attacking play.
Imagine a bus parked in front of the goal. It is almost impossible to score, so people
use 'to park the bus' to mean one team was very negative, boring and defensive.
This week's Champions League semi finals were not very exciting and Barcelona
have accused Chelsea of playing very negatively, of 'parking the bus' in front of
goal."

Can Arsenal play this way?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
off topic, but real madrid plays atletico madrid in 40 minutes. just a reminder.

i'll be pulling for atletico.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Roma-2 Inter-1, and the return of Totti!

every time he plays it's "the return of totti!"
laugh.gif

the nerazzuri are below form in the league this year, but it's the champion's league that is most important this time.

roma won it well though. i saw they match and they deserved it.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
smile.gif
Roma-2 Inter-1, and the return of Totti!

Congratulations..Well deserved.You controlled midfield and had aggression.We were unlucky to hit the post/bar 3 times.I still hope Mou wakes up though,it seems he didnt do enough in that game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads