• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chambray shirt options: educate me

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't post much over on SW&D and I did try a search but there were way too many posts with information scattered a lot, so I decided to make a new thread. Please be gentle
smile.gif

What are my options for a good quality, slim fitting, but not skin tight (think thom browne black fleece fit) options for chambray shirts? I don't want to spent a ton for what is essentially a casual shirt for me, but if the shirt is really nice, I don't mind spending upto $75-100. I am looking to buy both short sleeve and long sleeve in the usual white/blue/red colors. Is the J Crew chambray a decent choice?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes, the J.crew chambray is a good, easy choice, and probably the only one you could get for under 100$. I can also recommend the R Lauren chambray westerns that occasionally show up on ebay, good quality and fit.

re. slimfitting, I would say the j.crew shirt has a very proportional, "slim" fit. Not skin tight, but slimmer than EG for instance.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^ Yes, the J.crew chambray is a good, easy choice, and probably the only one you could get for under 100$. I can also recommend the R Lauren chambray westerns that occasionally show up on ebay, good quality and fit.

re. slimfitting, I would say the j.crew shirt has a very proportional, "slim" fit. Not skin tight, but slimmer than EG for instance.

Thanks ... those were indeed the only ones I saw under $100. Any idea where I can find them a bit cheaper? I keep an eye on the sales forum and I recently missed the RRL ones that someone was selling
frown.gif

On a related note, why is chambray so expensive? And why is it so hard to find good ones? Just musing ... all the EG/KMW/Buzz Rickson etc chambray shirts are so expensive. Even my dress shirts don't cost so much!

erbs

Reaction score
I have both the J Crew chambray and an EG chambray and I actually prefer the fabric used in the J Crew shirt. The EG has a better fit, though, and is made in the USA which probably accounts for the price difference.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Michael...J....Krell.

{A custom shirt made in the USofA by a forum affiliate and all around good guy, for a damn good price}

jamestown123

Reaction score
If I were you I would try and find a Patrik Ervell on sale/ being re-sold. They are fantastic.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned both a WWM and the Flat Head Chambrays (sold at Self Edge). Both were very good shirts, though I ended up selling the WWM one because it was too large for me (even in a size small). The Flat Head shirt is a very, very solid shirt and I expect to own it forever. While it is expensive, at retail it is about the same cost as EG or WWM, but more worth it IMO (assuming you like the western design). And rarely, very rarely, they are re-sold on Superfuture for about $120-$140 which is a nice bargain. Obviously if you are just buying something for the current season, there's no reason to spend that much for a shirt, especially with all the other options out there.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy.jpg
There are no logos. The SE/FH chambray has them, but that was a special edition. If you want a slim fit, the FH cut is great.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
If you order Flat Head, it might be cheaper to proxy them. I think they retail for about $120 ish in Japan.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its obviously below the other options given so far, but gap has a new 'medium' chambray on their website now, which appears to at least be better than old washed out one they used to sell... though I haven't seen it in person. $40 something I think, and their fitted shirts are normally somewhat slim if you size down 1

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
srivats- Let me tell you, it is not very easy at all to find slim fitting chambray workshirts (are you looking for workshirts or something more like a OCBD?). After buying shirts and paying to have them tailored, I realized it's best in the long run to go MTM.

What size are you? It just so happens that I have a slim red chambray workshirt for sale (see my signature). It's about twice what you are looking to spend, but it's worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads