• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Century 21 and the squashed Barbera & Isaia Lapels

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
So I just got back from Century 21 (the one in Brooklyn) and they had a number of nice Luciano Barbera and Isaia suits for $600. Only problem is, the lapels have been squashed and basically have creases in them. It looks like a whole mess of suits were piled on top of each other. Would the lapels "bounce back" to the way they are normally if cleaned or pressed properly? Or should I stay away? (I'd wait for them to drop to $400 anyway)

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the Century 21 in Brooklyn compare to the one in lower Manhattan?

Dan G

Reaction score
I went to the one in Brooklyn about two months ago. At the time it was filled with nothing but junk. I don't think they had a single suit with a retail over $1,000.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
How does the Century 21 in Brooklyn compare to the one in lower Manhattan?
It is very hit and miss, but it has less big-ticket shoppers than the downtown Manhattan one.  I live a few blocks away and used to go there quite frequently and would sometimes find good deals.

Along with the suits I mentioned (which will sit there for a while), they have a mountain of Isaia shirts right now, and they usually get some Brionis that feel like they're made for wear in Siberia and others with weird patterns and colors.  Tie selection is awful, but they get a decent selection of shirts from YSL, Ferre, and similar brands.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(mack11211 @ April 26 2005,20:35) How does the Century 21 in Brooklyn compare to the one in lower Manhattan?
It is very hit and miss, but it has less big-ticket shoppers than the downtown Manhattan one. Â I live a few blocks away and used to go there quite frequently and would sometimes find good deals. Along with the suits I mentioned (which will sit there for a while), they have a mountain of Isaia shirts right now, and they usually get some Brionis that feel like they're made for wear in Siberia and others with weird patterns and colors. Â Tie selection is awful, but they get a decent selection of shirts from YSL, Ferre, and similar brands.
I actually like the tie selection there. They have the same number of awful ties as the Manhattan C21, but I think you have fewer tie-buying shoppers, so the good ones stick around for a while. At $40, they had a full rack of Zegnas, Battistonis, Etros, Churchs (actually very good ties), etc. Of course you have hundreds of Kenneth Cole ties and $80 Gucci monstrosities, but that's Century 21 for you.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
One good place in NYC for ties is Mario Caldi, on 57th and 7th, and they have another shop on 55th and 7th. They only have their house brand, but I've gotten a number of nice Italan ties there for ~$19. Another good place for ties is Riflessi on 57th and 6th. Incredibly annoying salespeople, but great ties and shirts at VERY reasonable prices.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C21 priced their Isaia suits $999 last season.  Mike, are you sure they're not the cheaper diffusion lines GianLuca Napoli and Barbera Club?

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
The Barbera's did say Club in the logo, I'm pretty sure the Isaia's just said Isaia but I can't be quite sure. The list price was $2895 on both if they help. But for $600 wouldn't they be a good deal and a steal at $400?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't touch the Club line, the suits are fused. It'd be a very good deal for a mainline Isaia suit at $600.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
Yeah, the Barbera ones felt kind of crappy in my hands. I didn't get that, "wow, this feels too expensive for me" feeling when I picked it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads