• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

emptym

Reaction score
^You're allowed. And by some standards (rock star, for example), that combo may be considered conservative business dress. But the gingham shirt is fairly casual, the thin lapels are pretty trendy, the contrast-edged square is a little dandified, and the fun socks are fun. "Casual," "trendy," "dandified" and "fun" do not usually fall under the categories of "conservative" and "business," particularly not when they're put together. This is not to say that they aren't good, just that they're not conservative business dress, which is the specific focus of this thread.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1

I actually like your outfit. The windowpane & gingham are sweet, and the solid tie grounds it, but all in all, it's just not conservative business dress.

Keep posting, tho. The WAYWRN thread could use some help :)

Taylorstav

Reaction score

^ +1

I actually like your outfit. The windowpane & gingham are sweet, and the solid tie grounds it, but all in all, it's just not conservative business dress.

Keep posting, tho. The WAYWRN thread could use some help :)

I appreciate the warmer welcome, perhaps I'll post over there instead. I do work in a fairly conservative office, and have got a bit of flack for the way I dress. I've had to tone down the pocket squares and socks to play ball at least a little bit. :p

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, the whole concept of conservative business dress and the manton style of dress is silly to the point of stupidity. I remember him calling dimples in ties a manifestation of overly fussy homosexuality. It's this kind of antiquated thinking that makes life dull. Not to mention the fact that manton spends a lot of money dressing like a drone...he is incredibly stale in his wardrobe and he is hardly well dressed.

Taylor's gingham isn't rock starish by any standards. Skinny lapels you'll see in every office and unless you are over 40 with skinny lapels, few will fret over it. Plus, thinner lapels look better on smaller frames. The problem is the footwear. Lace-ups yes, but if you are going to splurge let it be on your feet.
:lurk:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I truly hope this is boring enough for this thread.

BB sack
CT
PRL
Florsheim

Taylorstav

Reaction score

Honestly, the whole concept of conservative business dress and the manton style of dress is silly to the point of stupidity. I remember him calling dimples in ties a manifestation of overly fussy homosexuality. It's this kind of antiquated thinking that makes life dull. Not to mention the fact that manton spends a lot of money dressing like a drone...he is incredibly stale in his wardrobe and he is hardly well dressed.

Taylor's gingham isn't rock starish by any standards. Skinny lapels you'll see in every office and unless you are over 40 with skinny lapels, few will fret over it. Plus, thinner lapels look better on smaller frames. The problem is the footwear. Lace-ups yes, but if you are going to splurge let it be on your feet.
Splurge? **** those are Ermengildo Zenga!

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

conservative business dress is best thought of as inoffensive...when your attire doesn't elicit a strong reaction either positive or negative...Like a Toyota...No one says 'Jesus Christ, I've wanted a camry since I was a kid'.  

Clearly you miss the whole point of the thread.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoes are fine and even better if you are trying to bore everyone to death. Tie is nice...Despite their true provenance, the shirt and suit look like they are spectacularly 'off the rack, department store' quality. Slim those pants. Thin men shouldn't look like they can slip a baseball bat into each leg of their trousers. Take the scary clown demon off your avatar, you aren't hip.
:sarcasm:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this thread has certainly taken a nasty turn in the past few days. Octavian, has someone here wronged you in some way. For a guy who joined up last week you sure do have some strong opinions. I agree with some of what you say, but the tone, as others have noted, has some true nastiness to it. The internet is full of that, so whatever. I suspect you are a former member returning under an alias to seek revenge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads