• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The i8 starts at $140k USD while the Model S runs you 70-90k depending on battery. Don't think they're in very equivalent tax brackets or market segments.

I know they are not the same segment, but thought price wise they were closer, a $140k is still within reach.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned months ago when I saw an i8 and some i3s camouflaged driving down the street in SF I don't get the i8. Doesn't have great fuel economy so it's not really as "green" as they are trying to market it to be and isn't really that fast (goes well from a hard launch but not from rolling start). It looks like a modern delorean so I guess that's cool but other than looks it doesn't make much sense to me. They are only making 500 per year so I'm sure there are plenty of takers but would understand why people would prefer it's competitors.

The new NSX will smoke this thing for I think around the same price. Not that I would necessarily get the NSX at that price either.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For $140k? A dozen cars I'd rather have over the i8:

Porsche 911 GT3
Porsche Cayman GTS
Jaguar F type V8
Aston Martin Vantage
BMW M5
BMW M6
BMW M6 gran coupe
Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper
Nissan GTR
Audi R8 (pushing it a little at 140k)
Mercedes C63 Black Series

And I can prolly name 5-6 more if you want.

Actually I might prefer a hard kick in the balls over the i8

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got a grown-up car a couple weeks ago: Mercedes C250 Sport. I had been driving a base model 2006 Mustang, and the upgrade has been like switching from a Walkman to an Ipod. Loving it.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For $140k? A dozen cars I'd rather have over the i8:

Porsche 911 GT3
Porsche Cayman GTS
Jaguar F type V8
Aston Martin Vantage
BMW M5
BMW M6
BMW M6 gran coupe
Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper
Nissan GTR
Audi R8 (pushing it a little at 140k)
Mercedes C63 Black Series

And I can prolly name 5-6 more if you want.

Actually I might prefer a hard kick in the balls over the i8

GT3 you won't be able to buy. Cayman GTS no. F type no. Vantage, maybe. M5 no. M6, good option. Z06 no. Viper no. GTR no. R8, decent option. C63 no.

mbaum

Reaction score
Not that a bad list but rather unremarkable choices and very "I skipped through the last 5 issues of Road and Track". Apart from the Porsches, there is nothing on there that would top the i8. For pure innovation and moving the car industry ahead by bounds and leaps, there is absolutely nothing comparable on your list. Back to the drawing board.

For $140k, my list would not have a single car produced after 1972 on it ...

Mike

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, well if we're talking about cars that aren't new, then I would too. I just thought that it would be stretching the bounds of comparison too much, since the original point was to look at what the i8 has to offer to the car industry today.

And sure, if you're looking to own the most innovative car on your block, go ahead and get the i8. But don't presume that everyone is making their purchase decisions on that factor. None of us have driven the i8 but I've seen it in person and it's just too much for me visually

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't really think the i8 is that innovative. You can get a carbon fiber Alfa for much less money. Everyone makes hybrids nowadays. I think the car would be lighter and drive better if it had the Mercedes 2.0 l turbo from the CLA which produces as much HP as the i8 setup. Although I guess the Mercedes doesn't have BMW's innovative artificial engine soundtrack via stereo. The BMW z8 was a much cooler car for about the same money before BMW sold its soul for "innovation."

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surprised to see the lack of fanfare for the i8. I think you're all forgetting how having electric motors really alters the driving dynamic. For the better? Debatable. But it sure as hell is interesting.

The reviewer said he was getting 40+ mpg by romping on it hardcore. I'd expect it to get at least 60-70 mpg in regular driving. That's pretty damn impressive for such a car that apparently drives as well as the reviewer says. It sounds great, too. Do I need to mention the looks? HAWT!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really hard to determine MPG for a plug in hybrid since you get 22 miles for "free." From what I've read, once you burn through that you're looking at somewhere in the 30's for highway driving. I don't get how sound seems to be such an important factor for you yet you enjoy cars that fake engine sound through their speakers. Maybe you should get a Fiat 500e and a CD with Ferrari sounds.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fake sound argument is a tired one. Slap on an aftermarket exhaust and drive with your windows rolled down. The m235i sounds fantastic with the performance exhaust.

Worst comes to worst, you can disable the active sound if it really bothers you.

Have you heard the exterior engine note of the i8? It sounds really good to me for a 3 banger engine.

Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
Oh gee, what is happening in here? For Christ's sake, it is a BMW. Aren't you all supposed to be the fanboys of everything coming out of München?
smile.gif

There is no denying that the i8 is an innovative leap forward. The manufacturers are faced with very restrictive regulations around fuel economy. How would you like them to answer that? Like they did in 1973 when almost all cars became a ******* bore overnight for a long, long time? More Prius, Volt, etc? Or some innovation that focuses on performance, driving dynamics, looks? I know which one I take.

This car for sure should not be compared with your garden variety shoe box hybrid. It has an innovative drive train combination. It is a sports car. Every piece of engineering was considered with a singular goal in mind It focuses on driving dynamics. It performs. It looks super sexy. it is (somewhat) attainable. They built an entire manufacturing ecosystem around it (They even re-invented carbon fiber in it's process to make it more manufacturing friendly!).You have to see it for what it is.

It is also not an Alfa 4C (Although I love that car, too). No use in telling us that you can get an Alfa with carbon fiber. Duh. The S1 Saab Sonnet has a 3 pot engine in it. Should I compare the cars? Of course not.

Yes, an R8 will likely smoke it but that's not the point. The 14 minute clip that GF posted sums it up perfectly. it is 99% there with 100% looks. This is a car that points squarely towards the future. You don't have to like it but there is no denying this fact. Kudos to BMW for coming out swinging big and betting the family jewels on it. Time will tell (soon) how big the swing is and what they are gonna hit. And that comes from the guy who falls asleep when ya' all wax on the 3/4/5/6. never thought I would defend a modern day BMW on this forum ...

Mike

Turner

Reaction score

...Although I guess the Mercedes doesn't have BMW's innovative artificial engine soundtrack via stereo. ...

Isn't almost everyone doing something like this? I think Audi is putting sound machines (loudspeakers) under the exhaust, making a Diesel sound like a V8 Otto. Those stuff is something like this

just for the old kids.

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you heard the exterior engine note of the i8? It sounds really good to me for a 3 banger engine.

Like I said, I saw one driving in the flesh a while back. Didn't blow me away but I guess sounds better than a bag of nails in a dryer. I'm not familiar with any other 3 bangers so don't know - I guess it sounds better than a "le car" - were those 3 cylinders? I also don't know why the fake sound argument is a tired one - it's an abomination. If you care about exhaust sound, you don't want it coming out of your speakers.

Do you think the i8 sounds better than any of the cars on Hroi's list?

For what it's worth, a Ferrari California just drove by me - that car has been much maligned but nice used versions can be had for not much more than the i8 ($150k-$160k) and sounds fantastic. If you want to augment the Ferrari's soundtrack, all you have to do is lower the top.

This car for sure should not be compared with your garden variety shoe box hybrid. It has an innovative drive train combination. It is a sports car. Every piece of engineering was considered with a singular goal in mind  It focuses on driving dynamics. It performs. It looks super sexy. it is (somewhat) attainable. They built an entire manufacturing ecosystem around it (They even re-invented carbon fiber in it's process to make it more manufacturing friendly!).You have to see it for what it is.

I hear you, but the driving dynamics are precisely where reviews say it's lacking - no steering feel and it doesn't handle like its peers. I think the new NSX will win on every objective and subjective measure, other than nameplate and looks (and even there, aesthetics are personal). I think the i8 has aesthetics (save the interior which is basically standard BMW fare) and novelty but the novelty will wear off quickly as competitors come up with superior sports hybrids.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads