1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Congrats on the car GF. I still think 4-door works better on a car that size, but that's my favorite looking generation of the 3-series.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Congrats to you on the car, GF, and congrats to us on the upcoming entertainment.

:fistbump:

1 person likes this.
  3. otc

otc Senior member

Time for GF to go buy a bunch of Snap-On tools.

Maybe put some Snap-On tools on his christmas list.

Gotta get dat Snap-On to fix his car.

If he is going to be replacing trim, I suggest this Snap-On product:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

*I may or may not be a Snap-On shareholder

1 person likes this.
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thanks brahs! Super stoked to get back in a six speed car [​IMG]

w/a: yeah that's a tentative plan. I may just swap out all the trim pieces for some other pattern.

otc: never had a coupe before so I'm excited for dis. I do derive a lot more utilitity from a sedan doe for sure. I'm gonna have to use my trunk now to store my laptop bag.

Piob: [​IMG]

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

So speaking of BMW repair costs...

I noted a few weeks ago a minor accident I was in - woman backed into me in a parking lot. Damaged the front passenger bumper, quarter panel and rim. Estimate for repair was about $1300 and about a week's worth of time. Was supposed to have it back last Friday but it failed alignment, needs a new strut, potentially a new knuckle (IDK what that is) and some other suspension component (which alone is in the $2200 range). the other driver's insurance has accepted 100% liability, but damn if it isn't nuts how that stuff was hidden. It even seemed to be driving all right.

[​IMG]

The worst part is that they rented me a stripped ford focus.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

JG - that's a scary amount of damage for something that looks so innocuous. My BMW had a mini fender scrape last week, I guess I'm lucky it wasn't totalled! I had no idea that something that resulted in visible damage like your picture could cause that much functional damage to your suspension - I guess serious car on wheel impact can do that. Yet another reason I want to sell my BMW - would like to have a car which can take a bit more of a beating given the demands of the city I live in and the way we use our cars.

Also want to take this opportunity to post this video. Not car related per se, but pretty cool.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Growing up, my mom worked at Snap-on, so my stepdad had a garage full of Snap-On tools. They really are great.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Now bc brah has a garage full of Strap-Ons

1 person likes this.
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I didn't know this was a thing, but my financing company approved me for an unsecured loan because of my assets and credit profile. Apparently this means I get to keep the title and not have a lien on the car?

Sweet!

1 person likes this.
  10. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

^Is the rate the same as a secured loan?

11. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

And is it reported as an auto or personal loan to the credit bureaus?

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Probably because of the car's age. AFAIK most financial institutions will not offer a vehicle loan on a car over 10 years old. If on teh oft chance that they would do so, they would appraise it first and then only loan you their appraised value, which certainly wouldn't be $18,000...err...$17,500

Did you get a little extra for tax?

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

No idea. All I know is I got the top tier rate. But when I researched unsecured vs. secured loans, it said that unsecured loans typically have slightly higher interest rates.

Auto loan, I'm pretty sure.

They didn't even care about what the car was. All they asked was how much I wanted, the loan duration, and my personal information so they could pull my report.

Didn't ask for nothin bout the car lol.

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Unsecured should have higher rates because there is no collateral being held, therefore more risk.

But if you go into BK, you can get it wiped out : )

15. Rumpelstiltskin

Because it was an unsecured loan aka a personal loan. Did you initially tell them the year of the car? If so the loan person knew off the top he wasn't going to give you $18k for a 13 year old car. If it was an auto loan then they would have needed info on the car.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What they're basically saying is they don't give a fuck about the underlying asset, as they figure it's worthless, but feel you have some other assets that are actually worth attaching to and will if it comes to that. About five years ago something came up and I needed 30k for a quick purchase of something. It took all of 10 minutes on the phone to get 30k wired to my chequing account and they didn't really give a damn what we were buying.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's not classified as a personal loan because the loan type I selected was "Used Auto Purchase from Individual." They didn't ask for the year of the car.

My research says unsecured loans for cars are only reserved for those with the best credit histories and asset profiles.. so I'm gonna go with that.

Do credit bureaus penalize you for having personal loans vs. auto loans? Now you guys are making me nervous so I asked the company what type my loan is classified as.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

They did ask for my base salary, bonus income, investment income, liquid assets, and retirement assets.. so they're prolly thinking they can just take me to court if I default or sth and take my liquid monies.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pretty much. It means you've arrived and the expectation of ongoing/future income is enough to get a loan.

20. Rumpelstiltskin

<=arrived once. Needs to arrive again

1 person likes this.