1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Get the 435i with x-drive.

2. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

That's about 4 years older than the average Aventador owner here.

Seen that car before. Sucks about the accident. Can't say I care too much though - I'm sure he has a 458 in the garage and a Huracan on order. And a G63. Every Asian in Vancouver has a G63.

3. jet

jet Senior member

Mike, post 13934 was in response to gravitas.

Yeah, I knew a guy with an orange gallardo who then got a carrera GT, kind of shady guy I'm sure you probably know of him. It was a good time then, fuck the irvine company nazis. I pretty much stopped going when c&c started. I will let you know or better yet let me know, I'll be the guy with a cigar who doesn't look like he smokes cigars. I was supposed to go to pb the past 6 years but never worked out and I just don't see the value in dropping over 1200 for the weekend (eg renting a house there) just to look at some cars and watch some race.

An older friend of mine has a great bmw something csi rather that I helped restore, great guy some of those newport guys and not the typical oc pricks. I do enjoy the new machinery but enjoy the classics too.

Oddly enough all my friends used to autocross a long time ago but I never did, it's great for car control I think more so than big tracks like willow. I basically learned my car control in a big empty lot so I never conepacked. I think there is value in doing both auto-x and big tracks, the latter of which I've done with a bunch of porsche guys.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Yeah I have seen that on instagram, I'm not feeling it 100%.

This is still the way to go for me, especially in saphire black.

[​IMG]

You wouldn't be allowed to insure any of those car here at that age, but it must be nice with a huge trust fund and a G63.

1 person likes this.
  5. crm1

crm1 Member

Not my phot but here's what I'm currently driving! An 05 nissan sentra
    [​IMG]
    And shopping for a Volkswagen Phaeton after graduation
    [​IMG]

6. otc

otc Senior member

Graduating from what? Old Man School?

The Phaeton is a pretty dang cool car (at least the couple I drove back after it was first introduced in 2005 or so were pretty nifty), but seems like a pretty odd car for anyone young. Gigantic hunk of expensive metal, which would probably be a pain to park in any of the places young people like to live or visit.

1 person likes this.
  7. crm1

crm1 Member

Haha graduating from undergrad with degrees in criminal justice and pre law. I like quirky, interesting cars. As much as I'd love a 60's Camaro, newer Boxster or Any other kind of crazy and exciting car, Sometimes you just want some leather and something different! I was also looking at E90 BMWs as well

8. Viral

Viral Senior member

you might change your mind if you see an E46 M3 with E90 M3 gunmetals wheels.............looks great!

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

E34 M5 wheels

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It seems like they are fairly constant price wise, they have been around the 250k mark for a decade now.

I would go outlaw 356 coupe over the speedster, as there's a shitload of beetle platform speedster replicas around and it just seems foolish to buy a real one (at least to me).

12. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Sorry, my friend, wrong on (almost) all counts [​IMG]

A decade ago, you could find Speedsters for $60k. The best ones went for ~$100k - $120k (Plane Jane pushrods, not 4-cams). Porsche prices - 356 and early 911 - accelerated fast around 2011 and some prices went stratospheric (Speedsters, 911S, soft windows, etc.). Prices seem to have plateau'd last year and some think that the early Porsches are now a tad over-valued (Me included), given their high production volume. We will know more after the Monterey auctions.

A beetle platform fiberglass replica is actually quite nice as they have been around for quite some time and you can have a lot of fun for $25k. Same for 550 replicas. But nothing can compensate for the real deal and it is really obvious once they are side-by-side (Fake Rolex? A 328 with an M-badge? No, thank you).

An outlaw coupe can be a very fun toy and there is quite some hot rod history in the 356 community with spectacular results indeed. However, in this day and age where originality is priced highly, I go stock. Besides, a 356 is probably the most fun car you can drive with a 60hp engine (Speaking of a "normal" 1600). And I already had a '56 A coupe for a couple of years. None of my cars got driven more often than the 356 and I am still kicking my ass for selling it.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  13. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

This is Vancouver in a nutshell (read the highlighted section):

[​IMG]

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Honestly I never looked further into the value other it being mentioned on tv, I think you are missing the point of why I would get something else, with the amount of replicas (at least here), no one would know that yours a genuine one and I would feel like an idiot, having to explain to people that its in fact isn't a replica every time its brought up.

It seems like the 964's are increasing in price at the moment, as 993's have reached a point, where a lot of people can't play, so maybe that's the way to go.

While on the subject I sometime meet a brown 930 turbo driven buy a woman in her early 40's, I get surprised every time.

Drug dealers and trust fund kids give us a call.

15. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Forgot I took this the other day. Really like the Daylight LED's on the SQ5. Car has some great presence on the road without being a full size SUV. Noise it makes helps with that I suppose. [​IMG] Really enjoying the car so far. Travelled about 2500km across the past 5 weeks. Performance is fantastic from the Bi-Turbo diesel. I'm keen to see what mods/tunes are available but nothing reasonable has hit the market so far from what I can tell. Best thing about the car is the ability to drive very comfortably with the wife on board and during heavy traffic, but tear shreds when you have the space to open up.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Nice, I don't know if you get mtm etc. down under, but most of the large German vag tuners have remaps available, they land around 365hp

17. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Nice!

I've had a look into a few of the tuners such as ABT, but they're asking ridiculous $, 4k-5k for relatively small gains.

I guess I was spoilt with my GTI where you can get a nice Stage II APR tune and exhaust for less money with huge gains.

That all said, 5s 0-100 in a car of this size is not anything to worry about really. I'm just used to modding lol.

I may look into some ADV's or similar with the KW lot to give it some stance.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The Abt and MTM remaps get +110nm, have you seen the two Sq5's Tag Motorsports did?

19. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

A fully custom ecu is the best bet, like the HKS offerings, or haltech where you are. all the traditional mods should still apply.

20. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Keep in mind that the US SQ5 is a V6T, and that is what the TAG Motorsports cars were based on. Mines a V6 Bi-Turbo TDI, per UK spec with 650nm at stock.

The tunes available for this particular motor are not the same, and are quite expensive for the gains you get. However the times for the V6T, US spec SQ5 is quite different. A simple visit to APR is all you need. Not the same with mine unfortunately, yet.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014