1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Well, if you don't speed, you won't get ticketed :laugh: I have to admit that I am almost always a few mph over the posted, so I thought a ticket a year is not doing too bad.

GF my philosophy is try to get the lawyer to remove the ticket, with traffic school as the backup. The reason is that you only get so many chances to take the safety course, so you want to save them as much as possible

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

meh, it was classic conditioning. Parents who always speeded, growing up with fast cars and no consequences for them led me to believe there wouldn't be any for me either. stepfather lost his license twice, but hired a driver the instant it happened. Difference was, I couldn't when I lost mine (would have been ridiculous too!)

My insurance comes down to sheer persuasion and a VERY good broker. Never caused an accident, so 12 years of no claim go a long way in convincing them that i wasn't a big risk.

Still, public transportation is a very good motivator to not lose your license ;)

My only advice is: use backroads that you know and can't be ambushed on. 100km on a very curvy road with ditches on two sides is a lot more fun than 240km on a highway, and a lot less dangerous for your license.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The first two tickets I got, I didn't think I needed a lawyer. Rule here is that you only get to take the defensive driving course once per year, per county the violation took place in. First two tickets were in different counties, so I got to take the driver's course twice. This most recent one is in Dallas county, so while I'm eligible to take it here, I also can't because I was going too fast.

Is there a set number of times you can take it, overall, though? Never heard of that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. otc

otc Senior member

I would think that after the first 5 times you take the course, they would realize it isn't doing you any good.

5. suited

suited Senior member

Same here on the highway, but I don't consider 5mph over the limit on the highway to be "speeding," if that makes sense. On this part of the 95 you've really gotta be doing 12+ mph over to be stopped. The roads around here have pretty generous limits, so normal circumstances don't tempt me to speed. Speeders don't concern me as much as every 3rd person using their phone as they drive.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

But that's my point, if a lawyer had been able to strike the ticket from your record, you would have gotten to save the benefits of taking the course for your next ticket :happy:

I have to disclose that I have a prepaid legal plan from my employer, so it's a no-brainer for me to retain one.

In FL there is a lifetime limit for times you can take traffic school. I may or may not have found this out because I may or may not have unknowingly come up against that limit :laugh:

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i got a 79 in a 65 when I was like 17. I slipped my father's lawyer like $100 or something, and he had it changed to some BS thing like "failure to yield".

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

:laugh: at the last part.

I didn't even know legal plans existed. I definitely don't have one. This will be my first time hiring a lawyer so I'm not too familiar with the process or what to expect. Cab friend said his cop buddy is on vacay till Friday. Guess I'll have to sit tight and wait in the meantime.

In other news, I went to the Porsche dealership to test drive the cayman s and holy fuck is that car light and nimble. Feels just as fast as my car.

The PDK transmission was fantastic. Also drove a 911 and it felt almost exactly the same as the cayman.

Such fantastic cars. Very DD friendly too.

9. jet

jet Senior member

100 bux says your friends cop buddy can't do shit

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah, everyone has a cop buddy. Also, those fucking "I support police" license plates don't help one bit either

1 person likes this.
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I dunno. I give it a 50/50 chance, but at the end of the day, I don't really know what to expect. At least it's a chance. He patrols the same area that I got pulled over in, so maybe he'll know the cop who got me.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Problem is, the ticket's written. I don't think he can do anything to change it now. I suppose you can collude with him and have him not show up to court, but he'll at least want a BJ for that

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does the fact that it's written matter, though? Does that mean it's permanent? I've read on Google about people who've gotten their tickets dismissed (whatever that means, technically) after getting written up and not have to show up the court, almost as if the cop just tore the ticket and trashed it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You might want to check with your cop buddy if he's cool with you dropping his name. I happen to have some cops in my extended social circle and it seems to me they hate it when people try to name drop them and also hate it when people think name dropping to them will help. In fact I know a cop's wife that tried to name drop her husband and it turned out the cop that had her pulled over hates her husband...she got jammed for all he could write her for.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I can definitely see that bothering them.

Thing is, I don't know the cop, directly. The cab driver I use every week does and he said he's helped him out in the past. How? I have no idea. I don't know what my cab driver buddy is going to say and I have no idea how this works.

I'm just sitting on my ass and waiting to hear back from my cab buddy come Friday / next Monday.

16. otc

otc Senior member

Just pay the ticket?

That's what normal people do when they get a speeding ticket

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You do see the problem with this statement here, right?

1 person likes this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

not sure if srs.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Hookers and blow.

20. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Keep your eye on the sparrow.