• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My Cayanne is in the shop so they gave me this. I think it is missing a few squirrels. This must have the worst transmission in the known universe of cars. I can't imagine why anyone would buy one if they test drove it first.

In my case, I wanted something new so I'd have a full warranty, decent in snow (it's RWD/rear-engined), and most importantly, easy to park on Chicago's congested north side. The replaceable plastic body panels are handy in today's modern "park by feel" world. My neighbors have often mentioned how jealous they are of it's ability to fit almost anywhere, and I love not having to look for parking when I drive it. The city's new parking scheme, where spots aren't demarked, really work to the Smart's advantage when combined with how lousy most people are at parking - there's always a half-space open.

That said, I can't wait for another spot at my building to become available for purchase. With off-street parking, I'd get an off-lease E90 325i, which are already in the teens.

smartmini.jpg

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Love that so much except for the trans but would still take it. I always exclusively buy black cars but that is one car I wouldn't mind having in fly yellow with the stripe. Damn.

So you wouldn't take the Enzo because it doesn't come with a 6-speed manual transmission?

The F1 transmission in the CS is amazing. Seeing as this is a track car, I'd much rather have the F1 transmission than the gated 6 speed manual other Ferrari's come with.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the SMART diesel gets a different transmission than the gas version. Too bad Merc screwed up by not bringing those over FIRST. 60+ MPG for christ sake.

THAT'S MARKETING, or in their case, not.

Same goes for BMW with the twin turbo diesel at 35mpg when the gas tt gets 30. WHO THE HELL would buy a diesel with those kinds of numbers. Bring over the small displacement 50+ please.

The Germans seem confused. Unless it's the boneheads in the US boardroom.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robes of Executiveness
Or a VW Jetta or Beetle with the flower vase in the dash?
I hate seeing those flowers in the dash, especially the huge fake ones.

KBW

Reaction score
anyone know much about the new m version of the x5? Fiancee wants a smaller SUV (she drives a LX 570) and I'm trying to talk her into something I'd like to drive as well
smile.gif
. Also went by the local Porsche dealer next door to BMW and learned a lot but it'd be a while before I could be delivered the RS (he said he'd have to check into it to find out the wait but that it would be a while). I'm going to look at a few other options in the next few weeks before deciding. This is the same as the x5 m I was looking at earlier
00.jpg

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
anyone know much about the new m version of the x5? Fiancee wants a smaller SUV (she drives a LX 570) and I'm trying to talk her into something I'd like to drive as well
smile.gif

Let me know what you want to know.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Let me know what you want to know.

just general thoughts on the engine, ride quality (I know it'll be stiffer given it is a M but my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e won't like it if it is too stiff), material quality (been a while since I've driven a BMW), and whether or not it is worth ~90K. I really want to just give her my Range Rover and buy a M5 sedan or M3 coupe for myself as my dd and save a little $. We don't need two SUV. Range Rover isn't much smaller but it is a lot faster and drives better than the Lexus.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
just general thoughts on the engine, ride quality (I know it'll be stiffer given it is a M but my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e won't like it if it is too stiff), material quality (been a while since I've driven a BMW), and whether or not it is worth ~90K. I really want to just give her my Range Rover and buy a M5 sedan or M3 coupe for myself as my dd and save a little $. We don't need two SUV. Range Rover isn't much smaller but it is a lot faster and drives better than the Lexus.

One word...awesome.

Engine sounds great, fast, no lag. Just as fast as my M3 in my opinion and way faster than my Cayenne S.

Ride quality is great too. Not rough at all, very smooth in my opinion. Totally comfortable.

Material quality is good. Still hear some rattles around the cargo area and some plastic pieces don't feel $90k quality. Never had issues with this with my Cayenne.

Whether it's worth $90-100k...that's totally an individual choice. If you can afford it, it's worth it right?

I have owned GX470s in the past and driven LX470s as well so if you have specific questions let me know.

I would really consider buying another one as my next car if that means anything.

KBW

Reaction score
I called earlier and am going to go take that white one above for a drive. I'll go from there on whether or not I want my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e to look at it. It is her decision but she is pregnant (not reason we are engaged and came after the engagement...someone usually asks) so I'm trying to get together a few different cars she should look at as the 570 is just too big and not needed with me also having a range rover. I tried to talk her into a car but she wants another SUV just one that is smaller and handles better. Also regarding the GT3 RS if they don't have the green color anymore I may buy an 08 that is basically brand new (I've found 5 of them like the one in the link below). I may catch hell here on the forums for liking the green color but for whatever reason I like it a lot. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...t_26187wt_1165

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The green is very distinctive in real life. As ugly as the RS colors are, I really like them because they fit the character of the car.

--Andre

Germanicus

Reaction score
At 90000$ you'd be stupid not to take the X5M, in Germany it starts at 160000$.

Do you plan on taking the GT-3 on the track? This thing is wasted on the street with a driver that can't drive it properly. Also consider taking the racing-cage, it adds safety on the track.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I called earlier and am going to go take that white one above for a drive. I'll go from there on whether or not I want my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e to look at it. It is her decision but she is pregnant (not reason we are engaged and came after the engagement...someone usually asks) so I'm trying to get together a few different cars she should look at as the 570 is just too big and not needed with me also having a range rover. I tried to talk her into a car but she wants another SUV just one that is smaller and handles better.

Also regarding the GT3 RS if they don't have the green color anymore I may buy an 08 that is basically brand new (I've found 5 of them like the one in the link below). I may catch hell here on the forums for liking the green color but for whatever reason I like it a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...t_26187wt_1165

Green is the way to go. Orange is nice as well.

Also, there are plenty of 'new' RS's out there. Plenty of owners bought them as an investment, and for about a year they were going for over sticker, but the harsh realities of this 'new' economy caused their value to plummet. Same goes for the Stradale. $205k last summer, same car could be bought for $165k this summer.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
00a9.png
e to look at it. It is her decision but she is pregnant (not reason we are engaged and came after the engagement...someone usually asks) so I'm trying to get together a few different cars she should look at as the 570 is just too big and not needed with me also having a range rover. I tried to talk her into a car but she wants another SUV just one that is smaller and handles better.

Also regarding the GT3 RS if they don't have the green color anymore I may buy an 08 that is basically brand new (I've found 5 of them like the one in the link below). I may catch hell here on the forums for liking the green color but for whatever reason I like it a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...t_26187wt_1165

I've been a bmw loyalist for quite a while but I just can't see the value in a 90k little suv, that's a decision you're going to have to make. Personally, I'm all about the GTs and first choice in RS colors is black with orange (my buddy had one done up by gmg it was on the ground), then green with the black. Get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads