Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Roy

Roy Senior member

Yeah, I've never understood why these german small and "mid" size sedans have such tiny rear leg room. Volvos too, I've found.

I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do that someone who buys a 3 or 5 series is alone in the car almost 95% of the time. It's not very common to carpool or make long trips with the entire family outside of the annual family vacation.

2. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

You're buying a Chrysler to avoid service fees... right...

Yea a $95 oil change versus a $900 oil change. [​IMG]

3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Shitty cell phone pic of my new E90 M3 Sedan. Bawlin, I am sure you will LOVE this color[​IMG]

As much as I dislike the color, I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed that's for damn sure.

DCT or 6-speed?

I'd love to hear someone's review on DCT.

4. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

As much as I dislike the color, I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed that's for damn sure.

DCT or 6-speed?

I had a DCT M3 and it was great. The shifting is ridiculously fast and smooth. I would highly recommend it, even over manual.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Just talked to my guy at MB. Build date is still as planned, 12/14. Odds so/so I'll have my new baby before Xmas...and I'm driving a crappy rental Nissan Pathfinder atm [​IMG] It doesn't even have a navi!
    How will you locate the nearest foie gras farms and overpriced wineries? [​IMG]

6. Robes of Executiveness

Robes of Executiveness Well-Known Member

Avoid the dealer anyway. DIY so they don't overfill or give substandard oil. I guarantee, NONE of them offer what you should be putting in it, which is Lubro Moly 5w40 - a group IV FULL synthetic.

Runs about $7 a bottle at NAPA

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

How will you locate the nearest foie gras farms and overpriced wineries? [​IMG]

This is just to drive to work. Thankfully, we have the wife's MB for weekends.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Avoid the dealer anyway. DIY so they don't overfill ....
    I had this problem a few weeks ago with the dealer. They overfilled the car, then after I returned it, they let out too much. This was all after an expensive B service.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I had this problem a few weeks ago with the dealer. They overfilled the car, then after I returned it, they let out too much. This was all after a $1700.00 B service.
    Ok. Why the overfilling? I don't understand. I've also never had a shop change oil in anything I drive so it was never something I was concerned with.

10. Robes of Executiveness

Robes of Executiveness Well-Known Member

Ok. Why the overfilling? I don't understand. I've also never had a shop change oil in anything I drive so it was never something I was concerned with.
    Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things.

When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.

11. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

DCT or 6-speed?

Glad to hear you are coming around on SSII[​IMG]

I have DCT, only have 300 miles on the car, but so far so good. DCT is incredibly fast, the sift lights are a cool function too. Love all the different M settings. Once I get to paly around with the DCT some more I will report back[​IMG]

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things. When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.
    Awful. I'll keep changing my own oil, then.

13. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

With the Chrysler, the oil change is the least of your maintenance worries. My uncle had a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8, which was a nightmare even for someone who meticulously cared for it. Plus, why not just do the oil change yourself?

Not saying it is a bad vehicle, but I've never heard of anyone buying a Chrysler for their maintenance costs, service costs and reliability. Most people I know would buy a Jeep for offroading capabilities and cheap purchase price.

14. sjd

sjd Senior member

Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things.

When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.

2 of my 3 cars (3rd is a company car) only get Motul full synthetic oil. Actually all the fluids are Motul. My dealer is involved with motorsports so they stock it at a price that is only slightly higher than the factory oil.

15. Thomas0302

Thomas0302 Senior member

Does anyone here own an Audi TT? Are the maintenance and repair costs much that bad?

I'm also looking at a Volvo V70. Any opinions between the two? I'm 23 (i.e. no kids or anything to carry around so a big sedan is not really necessary) and plan on buying used if that makes a difference.