1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

But if I'm the one driving, that means there's space for one extra Gold Digger whore for the orgy!

1 person likes this.
  2. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

sharp looking car, id be happy no matter what seat i was in.

2 people like this.
  3. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Recently saw the new Sting Ray, and this B7....first Alpina I have ever seen:

[​IMG]

4. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

The reason a lot of them like to drive themselves is that it's a great short escape from working. Once they get driven, the work becomes non stop. Mine lost his drivers license twice due to speeding (a lot) and twice he asked mb to send him a stretched s class, and hired a driver. He hated it, and would as soon as he could revert back to driving himself (in that period the obligatory Daimler).

For some driving and thus not being able to work is a small pleasure, be careful in taking that away from him.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

You buy a Rolls to be driven in. Buy an Aston to drive yourself.

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I've always found the back of a rolls (not that I've been in any significant number of them) to be quite... Boring. If I were going to spend more than about an hour in te back of a car if have to look at S Class/7 Series/A8L type configurations with reclining seats and media centres. At the very least I have to specify the rear tables on which to place a laptop.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The new s-class looks lush inside, I would go that way or a bentley over a Phantom.

I would drive myself if I had a ghost.

8. GreenFrog

I'm actually really liking the new design style MB has been adopting as of late. Very fluid lines and curves.

It's a refreshing departure from the sharp angles we've been seeing in the past couple of years (Cadillac... Ugh).

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Cadillac design is not so bad. It's different and coherent, but probably won't age very well. Actually, there are a lot of companies nailing it from a design perspective nowadays, IMO. MB, Audi, Porsche, Ford and Hyundai (for the most part) off the top of my head

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

If you're baller enough to afford a driver, why aren't you baller enough to play angry birds or nap while in the back seat? Who's permission/approval does he need to even tell people what he does/doesn't do while being driven?

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

The 2014 CTS redesign looks to be a winner. Lighter and more powerful than the MB E or BMW 5 series (even with their V8's) with better driving dynamics (just going from the few tests I've read) with a pretty decent exterior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

Most guys that reach that level with their own company are really driven, to the point of being obsessed with work. The two men that i know that were in this position (one owned a company with circa 2500 people, my father, and a good friend who managed a listed company) both disliked being driven vehemently, as both found that driving themselves relaxed them and allowed them to take their mind of of work.

Once you get to that point, and you are responsible/own the company, you care too much to play angry birds in the back seat when you could be working.
    At least that was what both of them told me, and yes I do see the inconsistency in that if they really cared they would relish the opportunity to work more.

And lastly, as this thread needs to get back to cars, it might be a mainland euro thing as well. Only people that I know are being driven these days are the c-suite of listed co's and highest level government people, in the private sphere practically no one.

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Go to Latin America or Asia and even the middle class have drivers. It's a wonderful thing. And yes, there's definitely a lot of angry birds being whipped out in the backseat (twss)

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Spoke with a Brazilian a while back and driver costs 1000-1200$ a month

15. GreenFrog

The front does look very good. Have you seen the new escalade? On my phone now so I can't post pics but it's hideous. Obviously follows caddy's design cues but it just doesn't work.

I'm also not a fan of the ats' styling and I test drove one. Definitely felt balanced and light but the steering was numb and the turbo 4 banger didn't work for it at all. If it had an NA 6 I think it would be perfect.

16. GreenFrog

Ford? You're joaking right?

Porsche for sure.

17. GreenFrog

I hate to admit, but BMW's styling for the 3 series feels lacking to me, especially with how the tail lights follow the 5 series' tail light design pretty much like a copy paste, but smaller. The hood seam not melding with the kidney grills anymore is atrocious too. It's all my eyes can see when I look at the front of any new bmw.

Absolutely love the way the 6 rear looks , front is okay. 7 is meh. 4 is good.

MB is killing it. Interested to see what their new C looks like.

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

yep, Ford. the Mustang, Focus, Fusion, even those multiple crossovers whose names i don't care to learn. i mean, they're not exotics or anything but i think their styling is light years improved and has a distinct identity (well, except that one sedan that completely bites the Aston Martin)

19. GreenFrog

Brah if I'm not mistaken, all ford sedans have the Aston-esque grill.

Anyway, got my tires installed and the difference is night and day. The right rear was literally bald. Will post a pic when I get home. Lol.

Initial reaction is the contis are definitely softer than the ps2s.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I like the new designs, too. Was at the dealership Wednesday, spent time looking at two new S550's. The interior is especially nice, and the exterior looks more elegant than its predecessor.

1 person likes this.