• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ man, that's an impressive list.

My cars:
1979 Jeep CJ-7 (high school, college, and one year after graduation. 3-speed stick, 258 motor, would buy in a heartbeat if I saw it again)
1994 Acura Integra GS-R (bought to accommodate a move to NC for business)
1998 Jeep Cherokee (wife made me sell the Integra)
2006 Jeep Commander (wife talked me into upgrading)

The first three cars ran to 180k miles, give or take, before I let go of them.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At what age did most of you buy your first luxury vehicle? I know it's relative but would like to get a general idea. I don't mean at what age did your parents buy you the benz or bmw, at what age did you use your own money to make the purchase.

I got my license at 24 (NYer) and bought in succession with my own money:

Audi 80 (B3)
BMW 3 series (E30)
BMW 3 series (E30)
VW Jetta GL (A3)
VW Jetta GLX (A3)
VW Cabrio (A2) for the wife
BMW 3 series (E36)
BMW 3 series convertible (E36)
Range Rover 4.6 HSE (P38A)
VW Jetta GLX (A3)
SAAB 900SE Turbo (NG)
Range Rover 4.0 SE (P38A)
SAAB 95 Aero (MKII)

Never had payments, bought them outright with cash. Don't ask how :uhoh:

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I bought a 68 Hurst-Olds Cutlass in highschool. It was the family car. Watching my mother drive it was both heart breaking and lulz worthy.

I then went about seven years without a car.

Then I bought a used Ford Ranger, stick shift, BBFA package + AC (bare balls, **** all). I was in heaven.

Last few cars have been:

For Mrs. Piob:

Volvo XC90
ML 350 x 2 now

Me:

Land Rover LR3
GL 450 x 2 now

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its Black/Black, nimble as there is very little lean of the car in turns. The base setting of the bolsters on sides. thigh, shoulders can be set, but dont remember if they are retained in memory for dynamic.
Just came back from a long lunch and drive, almost sad to get home and the massage ended.
Regards.
Beautiful car, worth a requote. I miss the intoxicating whine of the V12 in my old CL - that was one glorious sound, and ride. The growl of the S63 makes me happy though.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I bought a brand new Porsche Boxster when I was 25. I was making good money and didn't have any financial obligations besides rent for my downtown loft. Everyone thought I was a complete idiot, even though it wasn't all that much more money than a new chevy Tahoe or nice BMW 3 series. I was a total car nut, and most of my social and hobby interests involved cars, so it was very easy for me to justify the cost.

I bought a new BMW 3-series at 25 too and I was told the same thing, especially since i used an annual bonus check to pay for it. but I've kept it long after it's paid off and has been great transportation, so I think I came out ahead, even though it's starting to need more repairs these days.

I don't think everyone would consider a 3-series a "luxury" car though. come to think of it, I don't think I've owned any car that everyone would consider a luxury car...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I'm familiar with the criticism. I've had new cars since I was 17, and I paid for them all myself. Lots of haters along the way, particularly after I started upgrading. I still get the hate on occasion, but in the words of Bobby Brown, "It's my prerogative, I do what I want to do. " :)

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score

I bought a new BMW 3-series at 25 too and I was told the same thing, especially since i used an annual bonus check to pay for it. but I've kept it long after it's paid off and has been great transportation, so I think I came out ahead, even though it's starting to need more repairs these days.
I don't think everyone would consider a 3-series a "luxury" car though. come to think of it, I don't think I've owned any car that everyone would consider a luxury car...

I doubt if many people have ever owned a car that everyone would consider a luxury car. I met a guy in April who was worth £500 million and he was driving a Bentley Mulsanne from 2004. I imagine I could find a few people on here who would suggest that wasn't a luxury car...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm learning from the past few responses that you guys aren't nearly as old as you appear to be from your styfo personas.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the idea of this thread.

1. 94 Jeep Wrangler
2. 95 GMC JImmy
3. 97 Jeep Wrangler. new style with round headlamps. Waited 8 months for it to be built in Michigan. Bought on Long Island while I was in school at Michigan. They drove the car to Long Island, turned around and flat bedded it back to Ann Arbor. The round trip was almost 1,500 miles, the net distance was more like 50 had they shipped directly to me.

City dweller for years. Bit the bullet and parked on the street
4. 2002 Murano
5. 2006 LR3 with major electrical problems.
6. 2008 LR3. minor problems. Swapped with residual on a lease
7. 2011 GL450

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Beckwith, with both went the LR3 to GL450 route.

:cheers:

deepitm

Reaction score
1. 1989 Jeep Cherokee w/ 220k on it (got it in 2000)
2. 1997 VW Passat GLX VR6 (got in 2002 but was shared with brother)
3. 1973 Plymouth Barracuda, 'Cuda package, AAR paint, Crager mags, rear air lift suspension (got in 2002)
4. *2004 VW Jetta (acquired via marriage to wife in 2007)
5. *1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 2S (bought in 2012)

*still have

xpress

Reaction score
I'm 24, and have been driving since 16.

88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo
03 Oldmobile Alero
04 Honda Civic Sport
88 Nissan Sentra
91 GMC Sonoma (put a 350 in it)
01 Yukon Denali
05 Mazda RX8
07 Ford Explorer
08 Chevrolet Silverado
78 Fiat 124 Spyder
05 BMW 545i 6mt
06 Acura TL
09 Audi A5 3.2 Sline

There's got to be more, but I can't remember them all.

Diversity FTW.
Although, some of these were complete crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads