• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 years of Lotus ownership and I have yet to send my car to the shop for anything other than standard maintenance. And the cost of upkeep for a Lotus is very reasonable. Much lower than Porsche or Ferrari, and even less than my daily, a BMW.
Not sure which model you own (Edit- I see its an Elan and an Elise), but you might be one of the lucky ones, at least for now. An acquaintance used to own an Evora. He liked it a lot, but had numerous issues. He said said thank goodness he bought an extended warranty. The front turn signal wouldn't work, or had burnt out. Because of the design, you have to replace the entire headlight assembly including the xenon headlamp, that was $4,500. Then by 40,000 miles the transmission died and the car required a brand new transmission. He ditched it after replacing the transmission as the extended warranty was about to end. Not to mention, the build quality at least on early ones I saw were rather shoddy. A few friends that own Esprits enjoy them, but each has been broken down or out of commission for a while when things failed.

I did test drive an Elise and I have to admit it was was a lot of fun. Although getting in an out with the hard top, is a real b*tch! I was 35 when I went to test drive them and each time I test drove one getting in with the roof on, I pulled a muscle in my neck, and I'm not a very tall guy. I enjoyed the driving experience. However, I didn't want to have to keep a chiropractor on retainer for every time I drove the car with the roof in place. That and I just couldn't get used to spending that much for a car with a Toyota engine.

A few guys at our local cars and coffee used to own Evoras and Elises, but everyone except 2 Esprit owners have gotten rid of their Lotuses. Still always fun to see something a bit different.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Not sure which model you own (Edit- I see its an Elan and an Elise), but you might be one of the lucky ones, at least for now. An acquaintance used to own an Evora. He liked it a lot, but had numerous issues. He said said thank goodness he bought an extended warranty. The front turn signal wouldn't work, or had burnt out. Because of the design, you have to replace the entire headlight assembly including the xenon headlamp, that was $4,500. Then by 40,000 miles the transmission died and the car required a brand new transmission. He ditched it after replacing the transmission as the extended warranty was about to end. Not to mention, the build quality at least on early ones I saw were rather shoddy. A few friends that own Esprits enjoy them, but each has been broken down or out of commission for a while when things failed.

I did test drive an Elise and I have to admit it was was a lot of fun. Although getting in an out with the hard top, is a real b*tch! I was 35 when I went to test drive them and each time I test drove one getting in with the roof on, I pulled a muscle in my neck, and I'm not a very tall guy. I enjoyed the driving experience. However, I didn't want to have to keep a chiropractor on retainer for every time I drove the car with the roof in place. That and I just couldn't get used to spending that much for a car with a Toyota engine.

A few guys at our local cars and coffee used to own Evoras and Elises, but everyone except 2 Esprit owners have gotten rid of their Lotuses. Still always fun to see something a bit different.

Every single car model out there has stories like your friend's Evora. Some get lucky, some get bit real bad. Lotus aren't perfect and have a very sparse dealer network so sometimes that causes a lot of trouble.

I rarely ever drive my Elise with the top on. The topless experience is just so much better. It is indeed difficult to get out of that car, but that's the price of having one of the most sublime driving experiences. I'm just about to turn 57 and I'm nowhere near unable to climb out of the car. I bought it from a guy who was 75 years old so that's my target age.

The Elise's engine is outstanding. Even though Lotus cars are not known primarily for their engines, the Elise motor is simply incredible. Rev'ing that engine up to 8,5000 rpms never, ever gets old. Yamaha had hand in its design too and you can tell as the engine is so rev happy that it has more than a little motorcycle feel. Some people want more power and so supercharge the engine. I'm totally happy with the stock engine. It rev's strong and builds speed easily up to 135 mph. It will go faster than that, but at a slower rate of increase. Where the car shines is handling. This car absolutely destroys my daily driver car, a BMW 330i. I can take off ramps at more than double the posted speed. The car has an almost unbelievable level of grip.

I took my Elan Plus 2 to a Cars and Coffee and saw first hand how "fun it is to see something different". No one had ever seen an Elan Plus 2. There were 200 cars or so at this C & C and the crowds that formed around this tiny Lotus were impressive. An endless stream of questions and comments came my way. About 15 yards away was a $300,000 Ferrari that did not have 1/4th the level of attention. Driving around town in that Elan is like a moving car show. The car elicits almost compulsory reactions from many people. Being so small, bright yellow, and a right hand drive car does that.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the GT4 story after the 1,200 mile trip home.

Started looking last year as the breadwinner my wife suggested increasing the fun car budget. At the time it would have put me in some sort of Carrera but with the increased budget, the GT4 came into range. Bothered Hroi a ton since he has one to figure out options that are must haves. It came down to really wanting Guards Red, Sapphire Blue, or Racing Yellow and most options are just nice to haves. Given it was going to be used, it was a waiting game for the right car to come up. There was a different Racing Yellow one available earlier this year but the selling rules in Washington meant I needed to sign everything in person then given the distance, transport it home vs. drive.

Finally this one popped up in Colorado. PPI gave it a clean bill of health and I had Dino and Hroi point out potential flaws I didn’t see. Flew out early Thursday and the owner picked me up. Chatted for a bit then drove it 8hrs to Kansas City, slept 6hrs, then made the last 8hrs push home yesterday.

Super happy with the car and the carbon buckets were comfortable the whole drive unless I had my wallet in back pocket. My wife was the first to scratch the front lip after 10minutes. Figuring out driveway solutions as it doesn’t make it up the driveway. It will stay at my in-laws until we fix it in the spring…options are not cheap but we knew this going in.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the GT4 story after the 1,200 mile trip home.

Started looking last year as the breadwinner my wife suggested increasing the fun car budget. At the time it would have put me in some sort of Carrera but with the increased budget, the GT4 came into range. Bothered Hroi a ton since he has one to figure out options that are must haves. It came down to really wanting Guards Red, Sapphire Blue, or Racing Yellow and most options are just nice to haves. Given it was going to be used, it was a waiting game for the right car to come up. There was a different Racing Yellow one available earlier this year but the selling rules in Washington meant I needed to sign everything in person then given the distance, transport it home vs. drive.

Finally this one popped up in Colorado. PPI gave it a clean bill of health and I had Dino and Hroi point out potential flaws I didn’t see. Flew out early Thursday and the owner picked me up. Chatted for a bit then drove it 8hrs to Kansas City, slept 6hrs, then made the last 8hrs push home yesterday.

Super happy with the car and the carbon buckets were comfortable the whole drive unless I had my wallet in back pocket. My wife was the first to scratch the front lip after 10minutes. Figuring out driveway solutions as it doesn’t make it up the driveway. It will stay at my in-laws until we fix it in the spring…options are not cheap but we knew this going in.
This is the kind of post that causes strife in marriages. Loved reading it. I hope to endlessly bother you, @HRoi and @Dino944 down the road a bit for my own purchase.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every single car model out there has stories like your friend's Evora. Some get lucky, some get bit real bad. Lotus aren't perfect and have a very sparse dealer network so sometimes that causes a lot of trouble.

I rarely ever drive my Elise with the top on. The topless experience is just so much better. It is indeed difficult to get out of that car, but that's the price of having one of the most sublime driving experiences. I'm just about to turn 57 and I'm nowhere near unable to climb out of the car. I bought it from a guy who was 75 years old so that's my target age.

The Elise's engine is outstanding. Even though Lotus cars are not known primarily for their engines, the Elise motor is simply incredible. Rev'ing that engine up to 8,5000 rpms never, ever gets old. Yamaha had hand in its design too and you can tell as the engine is so rev happy that it has more than a little motorcycle feel. Some people want more power and so supercharge the engine. I'm totally happy with the stock engine. It rev's strong and builds speed easily up to 135 mph. It will go faster than that, but at a slower rate of increase. Where the car shines is handling. This car absolutely destroys my daily driver car, a BMW 330i. I can take off ramps at more than double the posted speed. The car has an almost unbelievable level of grip.

I took my Elan Plus 2 to a Cars and Coffee and saw first hand how "fun it is to see something different". No one had ever seen an Elan Plus 2. There were 200 cars or so at this C & C and the crowds that formed around this tiny Lotus were impressive. An endless stream of questions and comments came my way. About 15 yards away was a $300,000 Ferrari that did not have 1/4th the level of attention. Driving around town in that Elan is like a moving car show. The car elicits almost compulsory reactions from many people. Being so small, bright yellow, and a right hand drive car does that.
Sure there are lots of stories about bad cars from a variety of brands. Perhaps this guy was unlucky, but also a poor dealer network reduced his interest and that of others in the brand. With the exception of one long time Lotus dealer who is now outside of Boston, I don't think any Lotus dealers in New England that I looked into back in 2009 exist these days. Most carried the brand for 2-4 years and then they were gone.

I really enjoyed driving the Elise, and I had friends that owned them for several years. One gentleman a little older than you said he would do yoga for 30 minutes in the morning and stretch out before attempting to get into his Elise with the roof in place :crackup:. As much as I enjoyed the driving experience, it just had too many short comings and the very limited Lotus dealership locations would make it a pain to get service when needed.

It's not surprising the it crushes your 330i. The 330 is a nice car, but its considerably heavier and not an actual sports car. Even if it has more horsepower, as Alois Ruf famously said in an interview, additional horsepower never truly compensate for additional weight in a car.

The Elan, is a beauty. I've only seen a handful over the years. I think the difference between your car and a $300K Ferrari, is your car is something people can't just go over to a dealership and see everyday. When I go to a show, or a C&C I want to see things and chat with owners of cars I don't normally see. I can see Ferrari 488s,Romas or Porsche GT3s, GT3RS's, and other relatively new cars any day at the local dealerships. I can't and neither car most people, as easily see a Ferrari 275GTS, 512BBi, or mint 930 Turbo, 914-6, or 911S longhood at a dealership.

I've also heard many people also find owners of vintage cars a bit more approachable and less intimidating that people who own the latest expensive hard to get supercars. I get lots of people who ask questions about my 328GTS, more so than people I know who have owned 430s, 458s, or newer cars. There is a nostalgia factor too, for people who once owned one or who remember these cars when they were younger.

Congrats again on your Elan! It's a beauty and the color is fantastic!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of post that causes strife in marriages. Loved reading it. I hope to endlessly bother you, @HRoi and @Dino944 down the road a bit for my own purchase.
I look forward to being bothered whenever you're ready to start looking! Also, if you are ever free on a Sunday morning, you're more than welcome to come to one of our car's and coffees and see some cars and talk to fellow owners. We usually meet up once a month. Cheers!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look forward to being bothered whenever you're ready to start looking! Also, if you are ever free on a Sunday morning, you're more than welcome to come to one of our car's and coffees and see some cars and talk to fellow owners. We usually meet up once a month. Cheers!
Thanks Dino! I'll absolutely take you up on that offer.

One of my coolest Lotus memories was watching an older couple well into their 60's, hammering two bright yellow Lotus Evora's at a track day a few years ago. Vehicles were trailered to the track and each drove in the advanced group.

It was a far from a wide open, safe, easy track. Lots of elevation changes, trees and even a cement wall. it was impressive watching the two of them.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up this Lotus Elan Plus 2. My garage now has t
5 years of Lotus ownership and I have yet to send my car to the shop for anything other than standard maintenance. And the cost of upkeep for a Lotus is very reasonable. Much lower than Porsche or Ferrari, and even less than my daily, a BMW.
Congrats on the Elan pick-up, and on being able to "walk on the wild side" for 5 years with the Elise without falling into the abyss of ruinous repair bills.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took this baby to a C&C this morning and everyone else had a Porsche or a BMW 🤷🏻‍♂️

95DCE19B-B106-451D-858C-4B8CE09469B1.jpeg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Took this baby to a C&C this morning and everyone else had a Porsche or a BMW 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 2093205

Super, super sweet! Ultra nice shine you have going on there. Looks super awesome without shields.

Porsche's and BMW's are nice, but at C&C's, there's literally dozens of them. I guess some have no problem with that. On the plus side, their club activity is on the higher side.

I need something a little more off the beaten path. I've never seen more than one 328 at a C & C. Sometimes there's 2-3 Ferraris. I've been at some C & C's where I was the sole Lotus out of 200 cars.

I've often been tempted to sell my Elise (and now the Elan since I just got it) in order to pick up either a 308 or 328. Those are still within my budget, but damn, the repair bills can be stunning. I love that BaT sellers usually post their service records. I have reviewed many 308/328 repairs, and in many cases, there are not too bad. Significantly higher than a Lotus bill, but still just barely in the realm of acceptable. But not always, and some owners have stunning bills at the end of some projects, like $20k or higher. I'm talking about repair bills, not rebuilding bills. I would have to crash my Lotus at high speed in order to generate a $20k bill and that would be rebuilding, not repairing normal wear.

Maybe in a few years when my kids are out of college. That will free up some budget. For now I sleep well knowing the ownership costs of a pair of Lotus cars won't break the bank.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Wowza ! That’s a lot of revs! 😉

Nice Elan 😚👌

Indeed it is. There's not much power below 6,000 rpms so you have to let it rip in order to truly step out. The rush at 6200 rpms when the cam switches over is unique. There's a surge in power and that along with the noise as it climbs towards the 8500 rpm redline is just a blast.

I have driven manuals my entire life, but it took a lot of practice to force myself to rev so high. My natural shift points were no more than 4,000 rpms; totally the wrong place to shift if you want to enjoy an Elise.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super, super sweet! Ultra nice shine you have going on there. Looks super awesome without shields.

Porsche's and BMW's are nice, but at C&C's, there's literally dozens of them. I guess some have no problem with that. On the plus side, their club activity is on the higher side.

I need something a little more off the beaten path. I've never seen more than one 328 at a C & C. Sometimes there's 2-3 Ferraris. I've been at some C & C's where I was the sole Lotus out of 200 cars.

I've often been tempted to sell my Elise (and now the Elan since I just got it) in order to pick up either a 308 or 328. Those are still within my budget, but damn, the repair bills can be stunning. I love that BaT sellers usually post their service records. I have reviewed many 308/328 repairs, and in many cases, there are not too bad. Significantly higher than a Lotus bill, but still just barely in the realm of acceptable. But not always, and some owners have stunning bills at the end of some projects, like $20k or higher. I'm talking about repair bills, not rebuilding bills. I would have to crash my Lotus at high speed in order to generate a $20k bill and that would be rebuilding, not repairing normal wear.

Maybe in a few years when my kids are out of college. That will free up some budget. For now I sleep well knowing the ownership costs of a pair of Lotus cars won't break the bank.
What kind of repairs are we talking about here for $20k? The reality is most good indy mechanics around me charge between 150-200 for labor hours so anything labor intensive will cost.

But, like most classic cars, if the maintenance and parts replacements (hoses, bushings, seals, etc…) have already been done, the ongoing cost should not be that high. There are a lot of parts out there, especially if one isn’t set on only using OE parts.

And of course, if a car is that well sorted, it will be more $$ to buy. Money is spent either way. I chose to get a car that needed work and have it fully refurbished from the engine valves to the bushings. Cost me almost half of what I spent on the car but I have the confidence things were done….

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed it is. There's not much power below 6,000 rpms so you have to let it rip in order to truly step out. The rush at 6200 rpms when the cam switches over is unique. There's a surge in power and that along with the noise as it climbs towards the 8500 rpm redline is just a blast.

I have driven manuals my entire life, but it took a lot of practice to force myself to rev so high. My natural shift points were no more than 4,000 rpms; totally the wrong place to shift if you want to enjoy an Elise.
I hear you. I was the same and I had to reprogram my ear when it comes to driving the 308. I had the itch to shift at 3-4k, but have learned to let it sing over 6k now

By the way, I was just joking because of the number of zeros 🙂

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy