• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I used to be a car nut, I came to Japan originally because I liked cars, 12 years ago... starting buying Japanese car magazines to learn more, learned Japanese in the process, but once I got here I ended up finding other things I liked in Japan apart from cars, and finally got over cars and found new hobbies as time went on... I was really into European cars first, then I got into Hondas, visited Spoon Sports/Type ONE in the western suburbs of Tokyo - and Spoon ended up being next to this used car dealer that dealt in rare German cars like Alpinas, Koenig MB's, Breyton and Schnitzer complete BMW's - it was at that moment I stopped liking Hondas and went back to the US and got a 540i and drove that through college, never thought about Hondas again, just enjoyed a car for being a car and not something I had to take apart and spend lots of money to change and ****. I don't know, but a grass is greener thing maybe, and I saw both sides eventually.

I thought about it recently though, and even if I was insane baller status, my dream car collection would be a 911 variant, a black G55, a grey Morgan 4, and some sort of revolving spot for a Ferrari or Aston, something like that, you can't really keep those that long. I'd probably have a really boring sedan or wagon too for normal driving, a full-on regular car, like an E class on 16"s. Minus the obvious expensive ones, I might be able to have one or two off my list at some point in the not too distant future....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
alright, GreenFrog - you know what kind of car I like, and you have an idea what I want to spend, but less money spent is better - what would you get if you were me?

Newest additions to the new car ring: S5 vert, Evora

Both (and all the cars I've listed before) are smallish practical cars that hopelessly wander into impractical territory, which is what I want. I want something that separates me from 45 year old 'cool dad on the weekend' yet doesn't cost Italian money to own. That's about it. I don't really have cargo and it's the two of us riding.

the E92 M3 and E60 M5 have also shot up out of nowhere on my shortlist as well, because both can be gotten here as super low mileage CPO with good warranties and as-new car financing, at half the sticker of a new car, plus some of the registraton relief that comes with buying from the dealer, so essentially a new car with years and miles. Neither are my ideal car, but I can admit that I lusted after both when they were newer and would probably happily drive either. Being that the last car that I really enjoyed having was the 540, the 4.0 M3 and the monster 5 series both kind of tie in nostalgically as well...

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

alright, GreenFrog - you know what kind of car I like, and you have an idea what I want to spend, but less money spent is better - what would you get if you were me?
Both (and all the cars I've listed before) are smallish practical cars that hopelessly wander into impractical territory, which is what I want. I want something that separates me from 45 year old 'cool dad on the weekend' yet doesn't cost Italian money to own. That's about it. I don't really have cargo and it's the two of us riding.
the E92 M3 and E60 M5 have also shot up out of nowhere on my shortlist as well, because both can be gotten here as super low mileage CPO with good warranties and as-new car financing, at half the sticker of a new car, plus some of the registraton relief that comes with buying from the dealer, so essentially a new car with years and miles. Neither are my ideal car, but I can admit that I lusted after both when they were newer and would probably happily drive either. Being that the last car that I really enjoyed having was the 540, the 4.0 M3 and the monster 5 series both kind of tie in nostalgically as well...

oh man, dude.. since i know you have a soft spot for bimmers, it honestly would be a toss up between the e92 (no e90 or e93, please) and e60 m5. personally, i would go for the m5 and slap on a meisterschaft gt2 exhaust on that baby.

you make good money so I'm assuming gas costs are not an important factor here (say hello to 11 mpg all day err'day)

i think the scale tipped over to the m5 because they are RIDICULOUSLY cheap now (at least in the U.S.). personally, i would get the stick shift because the smg isn't that great, but you said you'd prefer an auto, correct?

if an auto is a must, then the scale tips back to the e92 m3 with the dct transmission; it's wonderful. similarly, slap a meisterschaft exhaust on that baby.

honestly, you should go to a bmw dealer and test drive both and I'm sure you'll have your answer. i regret the day i test drove an m3. if you go for the m5, make sure to get a 2008+ model.

extra props if you debadge the car :p

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
btw, this isn't too related, but I'm entertaining the notion of working as a car valet driver on the weekends for an upscale restaurant once i move down to dallas. they have some rich ass folks there with nice cars and i would love to enjoy a few minutes parking a super car.

i could see it as a networking opportunity as well.

lol am i crazy?

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
I would not do it again... I mostly worked for tips, and rich people don't seem to know how to tip. We worked in volume to try and makeup for lousy tip, so most of use drove the cars a bit hard to get down the road to the parking lot (Fun, but you would not want this done to your car). Then for any mark on the car, just turn in that crappy jacket. If you need extra money either be a waiter or deliver pizza (I did this in a Triumph Spitfire, fun car and good on gas. So made the time go by and the middle class can tip).

~Kurt

btw, this isn't too related, but I'm entertaining the notion of working as a car valet driver on the weekends for an upscale restaurant once i move down to dallas. they have some rich ass folks there with nice cars and i would love to enjoy a few minutes parking a super car.
i could see it as a networking opportunity as well.
lol am i crazy?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would not do it again... I mostly worked for tips, and rich people don't seem to know how to tip. We worked in volume to try and makeup for lousy tip, so most of use drove the cars a bit hard to get down the road to the parking lot (Fun, but you would not want this done to your car). Then for any mark on the car, just turn in that crappy jacket. If you need extra money either be a waiter or deliver pizza (I did this in a Triumph Spitfire, fun car and good on gas. So made the time go by and the middle class can tip).

~Kurt

I wouldn't be doing it for tips, really. I already have a full time gig, so I'd mostly be doing it to see and experience amazing cars; I'd also try to network somehow, if possible.

What would a good day bring in?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't be doing it for tips, really. I already have a full time gig, so I'd mostly be doing it to see and experience amazing cars; I'd also try to network somehow, if possible.
What would a good day bring in?

I can't imagine guys in exotic, near-exotic, or luxury vehicles having a conversation with a valet that lasts long enough to qualify as networking. Besides, if the establishment is busy, there won't be time for extended conversation.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If these are your choices, I'd definitely go with the E92 M3 Convertible. Thing is just a beauty, one of the few everyday cars (yeah, it's everywhere in SoCal) that still turns my head.

But if there is still doubt that you might not enjoy the car in the long run, I'd really suggest looking for something else. I personally do not like the E60 M5, just get an E63 M6?

And to be honest, the S5 is really underpowered for the price. I mean a supercharged V6 and they can only squeeze out 333 hp? I love the car and it is beautiful but just so underpowered.

I say get the new 991 if you want a cruising around GT, unless you want to get a used AM Vantage V8, you'd hate their "auto" ****** though but that exhaust note. :worship2:

Have you considered a Maserati Quattroporte?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He was looking at the convertible, which has the supercharged V6.

And for the coupe, a V8 with 350hp is still vastly under powered. I mean Lexus could squeeze out at least 400hp off of their V8 in the ISF. Heck Benz could squeeze out 100 more hp in their V8 on the C63. The A5/S5 is actually the slowest vehicle in it's class.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The next gen will have a supercharged V6 now on both coupe and convertible versions to save a few bucks on gas. So next gen actually loses a few ponies. The good news, an RS5 will finally come to the US.

The S5 is still one of the best looking coupes on the road today but the only Audi I want right now is an R8.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't imagine guys in exotic, near-exotic, or luxury vehicles having a conversation with a valet that lasts long enough to qualify as networking. Besides, if the establishment is busy, there won't be time for extended conversation.

True. I wasn't expecting/imagining that either. I think it'll only be successful if I can make a short, high-impacting impression on them. I dunno. Networking was just an idea. I just want to lust over super cars and drive them :drool:

Oh, and +1 to the S5 being terribly anemic in power. Such a shame cause it's probably one of the most beautiful non-supercars out there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads