• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm almost surprised at how relatively close it was between cg getting a replacement Audi, gf having dat e46 back, and rtc pulling the trigger. I thought one of them was going to take a few more weeks at the least.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm almost surprised at how relatively close it was between cg getting a replacement Audi, gf having dat e46 back, and rtc pulling the trigger. I thought one of them was going to take a few more weeks at the least.

I bought the car I'd basically wanted since I saw it.

The seller was away for the last week. She got back sunday evening and we set things up for yesterday. Everything else was just time pass tbh.

I honestly would have loved a car with a torsen, the better lights, body, etc of the 01+ miata's. But they run better on premium, this is a second car and I'm a student so premium was too high. Insurance went up by about 440 or so for the full year, but I'm going to take the car off the road for the winter so realistically it's going to go up by just about how much I was paying for my motorcycle. Only issue with the car are cracked fog lights. Might switch em when I feel like it.

I just got plates today. I might try to teach myself to drive stick this evening. Good god.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not that hard if you can ride a motorcycle.

Just familiarize yourself with the shift pattern (1-5 are basically the same in every modern car...6 and R can vary), use your left foot to do what your left hand used to do...and your right hand to do what your left foot used to do.

Generally you are going to use your whole left leg to operate the clutch. Some people will keep their heel on the floor, but I think that's hard and maybe not even possible in some cars. This can be a bit awkward at first since lurching the car will move your body and cause your leg to move (leading to more lurching because it accelerates your leg).

Never driven a Miata, but just like motorcyclces, some cars take more gas as you clutch out into first. Some will come off a stop no problem without any gas, some need you to get the RPM up a bit.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been shifting through the gearbox with the car off to get a feel for where they engage and how the throw is. I might have a bit of an issue shifting into 5th since i might engage 3rd, but it should be okay.

Quick question though. When coming to a stop in any gear, is it best to just put the car in neutral, brake, and the shift into first again when stopped (or second/third depending on speed)?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been shifting through the gearbox with the car off to get a feel for where they engage and how the throw is. I might have a bit of an issue shifting into 5th since i might engage 3rd, but it should be okay.

Quick question though. When coming to a stop in any gear, is it best to just put the car in neutral, brake, and the shift into first again when stopped (or second/third depending on speed)?

Depending on your speed at the start of braking and how quickly you need to stop there is that option or you can do engine braking, where you downshift through the gears to help use the engine inertia to help slow the car down too. I wouldn't start off with that method for now, just do the neutral and braking until you get comfortable with shifting in general.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back during the dawn of time when I first started driving, I used to shift down the gears just like I did when I rode a motorcycle, the theory being that in event of trouble I would be in the proper gear to just go. In the real world that **** gets old quickly plus burns more gas and dropping into neutral became the norm.

Seeing that this is your track car you should probably get to know each gear intimately

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depending on your speed at the start of braking and how quickly you need to stop there is that option or you can do engine braking, where you downshift through the gears to help use the engine inertia to help slow the car down too. I wouldn't start off with that method for now, just do the neutral and braking until you get comfortable with shifting in general.

Sounds just like the bike!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts on these wheels? They're on CL for 200 the next town over.

Pic of car with current wheels:

I could probably sell mine for a similar amount, no?

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back during the dawn of time when I first started driving, I used to shift down the gears just like I did when I rode a motorcycle, the theory being that in event of trouble I would be in the proper gear to just go. In the real world that **** gets old quickly plus burns more gas and dropping into neutral became the norm.

Seeing that this is your track car you should probably get to know each gear intimately

you can of course cycle down through your gears as you decelerate with the clutch down.

both clutch and brakes being wear components, imo its 6 of one half dozen of the other as far as the best way to stop.

that said, my jeep is geared tall and it's more expensive to change out a clutch than brakes so on the freeway i prefer compression slowing and on city streets i use my brakes in neutral

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds just like the bike!

I've been trying to tell you it isn't difficult to master. It is infinitely easier for a motorcycle rider to drive a manual car then for a manual car driver to learn to ride a motorcycle. Once you figure out where the engagement point is then you are good to go. Within an hour you will know exactly where the sweet spot is

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been trying to tell you it isn't difficult to master. It is infinitely easier for a motorcycle rider to drive a manual car then for a manual car driver to learn to ride a motorcycle. Once you figure out where the engagement point is then you are good to go. Within an hour you will know exactly where the sweet spot is

I believe you! I'm just going to wait till rush hour traffic dies down a bit this evening and then try to take it out. There are a few hills around here so I'm going to have to try getting up those without burning out the clutch.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always rev match downshift as I approach a stop just so I can hear dat sweet sweet exhaust note on throttle blips.

It also makes me feel like an hero.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always rev match downshift as I approach a stop just so I can hear dat sweet sweet exhaust note on throttle blips.

It also makes me feel like an hero.

Dat sweet braaaap.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd argue it saves gas too, though at a negligible level. Coasting in neutral causes the engine to continue revving whereas coasting without throttle in gear deactivate the throttle bodies.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on these wheels? They're on CL for 200 the next town over. Pic of car with current wheels: I could probably sell mine for a similar amount, no?
I'd say if your wheels lack curb rash and are in good shape, you should be able to at least make a couple bucks. Those wheels you posted look pretty solid with non-offensive styling, but any idea on the maker? Also, you might want to look into refurbing your headlights. Some gradual wet sanding from 1000 to 3000 and then a protective film from Xpel or the like would do it wonders like I did for my Acura.
you can of course cycle down through your gears as you decelerate with the clutch down. both clutch and brakes being wear components, imo its 6 of one half dozen of the other as far as the best way to stop. that said, my jeep is geared tall and it's more expensive to change out a clutch than brakes so on the freeway i prefer compression slowing and on city streets i use my brakes in neutral
This is generally how I operated, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member