• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capsule

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious -
I keep hearing it mentioned and i've been seeing stuff on wearethemarket.com but the website is a bit vague and i'm obviously not the intended audience, so what exactly is it? Is it open to the public? If not, is it worth trying to get a pass for the Vegas one? Why have an event in NY and in Las Vegas? Why does the list of participating brands for Vegas suck so much compared to the other locations? (last one's a rhetorical question)

Vegas:
capsulelv.jpg

NY:
capsuleny.jpg

Paris:
capsuleparis.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It's a tradeshow for buyers, editors, fashion people, etc.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
There are two other shows in LV called Project and Magic. Project is generally considered the best show with a broad spectrum of brands, Capsule being smaller and more niche and Magic a show in decline featuring large and small brands ranging from Urban to cheesy Rock N' Roll.

I can only think that the Capsule roster is smaller because brands featured at Capsule NYC will be showing at Project in LV. I anticipate a smaller gathering of brands this year due to many cut backs and cost saving exercises that include how brands are promoting themselves.

If your interested in looking around the Project show at The Mandalay Bay PM me and I'll arrange a pass for you.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Just got back from Capsule NYC with Fok, Mauro, etc. The forum people would probably really enjoy it the way I did as it allows you to see a sneak preview of things to come from your favorite labels as well as check out products you normally wouldn't think so see in person or wouldn't have heard of otherwise. BTW, Project NYC was pretty shitacular from what I heard, especially when they were charging $100 to get in for non-vendors. Like Rye mentioned, not all the brands stick to the same show in different cities. For example, KZO was showing at The News (along with BoO, WMM, CP) in NYC but will be apart of the Guild show in Vegas along with Apolis, Tsovet, etc. Here's a shot I took from this past week's Capsule show:
img8012yl1.jpg

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the info ryegb. I didn't realize that these things all took place at the same time, that makes sense though. One particular brand caught my attention on the Project brand list: Disney Couture
gaston2.jpg
Been trying to track down these yellow gloves for years.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Here's a shot I took from this past week's Capsule show:
img8012yl1.jpg

Hey Who, the show looks fairly intimate (quiet), what was the general mood from the vendors concerning foot traffic at the show and the stores general budgets for Fall?. Maybe you should just PM me the bad news
confused.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Hey Who, the show looks fairly intimate (quiet), what was the general mood from the vendors concerning foot traffic at the show and the stores general budgets for Fall?. Maybe you should just PM me the bad news
confused.gif

Monday was stuffed with people all day. A few of my rep buddies said they were absolutely slammed pretty much the whole time. Tuesday, however, was a different story; it was like a ghost town. In general, the vibe I got was somewhat mixed and rather difficult to gauge. Being that this was the first show I think people figured they were doing about the kind of business they expected. A few figured they'd get more business in Paris while others knew a few vendors that were sticking strictly to the Vegas shows. So I guess the best estimate of how deep people are buying will be from you in Feb. Outside from Capsule, though, the reps made it sound like more stores were buying wider collections while keeping sizes shallow; I guess the idea is to run out fast and try to prevent 10 XL's from being left over and forced to sale.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Outside from Capsule, though, the reps made it sound like more stores were buying wider collections while keeping sizes shallow; I guess the idea is to run out fast and try to prevent 10 XL's from being left over and forced to sale.
I'm hearing this to which I hope to be true. Buyers are more prepared to take chances with new brands in the hope it will inspire customers, freshen up a stores presentation and lead to some new players in the industry. We'll see in a few weeks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...the reps made it sound like more stores were buying wider collections while keeping sizes shallow; I guess the idea is to run out fast and try to prevent 10 XL's from being left over and forced to sale.

Originally Posted by Rye GB
I'm hearing this to which I hope to be true. Buyers are more prepared to take chances with new brands in the hope it will inspire customers, freshen up a stores presentation and lead to some new players in the industry. We'll see in a few weeks.

The prevailing wisdom, of course, is the opposite, that buyers play very conservatively, buying lots of basics and not really taking chances during a projected weak season. Of course, the prevailing trend still seems to be Americana (with notable exceptions), so there were a lot of "theme and variations" of basics to choose from.

By several accounts, The Collective was a complete bust...

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
One particular brand caught my attention on the Project brand list: Disney Couture
gaston2.jpg

Been trying to track down these yellow gloves for years.

You'll be disappointed. They mostly make princess wedding gowns and allover print t-shirts. Oh, and some jewelry.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The prevailing wisdom, of course, is the opposite, that buyers play very conservatively, buying lots of basics and not really taking chances during a projected weak season. Of course, the prevailing trend still seems to be Americana (with notable exceptions), so there were a lot of "theme and variations" of basics to choose from.

It all depends on who you are and what you're customer expects of you. Of course Saks is going to walk in and buy navy and charcoal suits, basic shirting, etc because for the most part the Saks customer is going to want to "invest" in something timeless and make their dollars stretch. However, Barneys is going to be the one that continues to offer a bit more "fashion" to their customers.
People still have money and are going to buy things and spend it; but, I think in "times like these" that it pushes people to the further ends of the spectrum than their natural buying habit already is. The safer purchaser may buy a bit more safe and timeless and the fashion customer may buy a bit more fun and escapist.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Capsule on Monday, and it was pretty slow. The economy coupled with people going to DC for the inauguration was the culprit.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Oh man, it really was. When I worked for Saks years ago, it was pretty packed every season. But it was absolutely dead this year.

Mostly due to the merchandise. It's filled with Saks/Neimans/Nordstrom brands and a lot of classic items without strong branding behind them. The exact things which are in decline at the moment. They had a more forward section which things like What Come Around Goes Around and the Fred Perry Laurel collection, but it was a strange add-on.

Doesn't help that this show is at Pier 94, a.k.a. the most annoying place to get to in Manhattan. Capsule was brilliant for picking an LES location.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
What does Capsule cost for vendors? Around $10K?

Capsule show cost was about $5600 for NY this year and Vegas about $4800. Vegas is a newer show, and that is why it is smaller now, but should grow in the years to come.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads