• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you still wear a suit like this?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a Brioni MTM suit that was made for my father in 1989. It was worn only once and that was on his wedding day. I am wondering because of such low sitting labels and the arrangement of the buttons if it is still fully acceptable to wear it today as a two button single breasted notch label would. Now I am not talking about any specific event or anything that it would be worn to. I have seen KitonBrioni wear Brioni's just like this with the labels and such the same way. I just do not want to be wearing it, walk into a boutique on Madison Ave and look like a total idiot!

ClotheBlog036.jpg

ClotheBlog037.jpg

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You better not wear it. If your dad measured close to a 42R in 1989, you should just send it my way.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked like an idiot in lots better places than Madison avenue boutiques. 42L, by any chance?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yea I forgot that; it fits me perfectly, the pants, and the jacket. I know how it should fit and everything thats not an issue. I just do not want to look like a total idiot when I am around other people that are into fashion, I kind of get all anxious when I am in neighborhoods where fashion is very big like SoHo, and the shopping areas, etc.

There are no sizes or anything written. The pants are probably a 34 or 36, they are actually pretty slim, and they are just like my brand new Armani BL pants so thats not an issue. I guess it would be a 42L, my suits are usually a 42L or a 40.

And yes I love it, other than the length of the top of the lapel.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rock it! thought i think you should post pictures so we can get a good idea of what needs updating or changing.

some things you can change, some you cant.

personally i think its awesome, i'd wear it.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
... i think you should post pictures so we can get a good idea of what needs updating or changing. ...

+1

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has no vents, but I will take some shots over the weekend. If my father does not loose weight before I go off to college in a year and a half then I will take it with me and get it taken in to make sure its perfect. Until then I cannot touch this thing, although I wore it on Christmas and my family was impressed by how well it fit and my father seemed honored I loved it so much and partially pissed that all I think about is clothing lol. This is the only pic I have right now, of course theres more coming...
IMG_1521.jpg

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
It has no vents, but I will take some shots over the weekend.

If my father does not loose weight before I go off to college in a year and a half then I will take it with me and get it taken in to make sure its perfect. Until then I cannot touch this thing, although I wore it on Christmas and my family was impressed by how well it fit and my father seemed honored I loved it so much and partially pissed that all I think about is clothing lol.

This is the only pic I have right now, of course theres more coming...

IMG_1521.jpg

Dear god man, your face is a mess!

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Oh yea I forgot that; it fits me perfectly, the pants, and the jacket. I know how it should fit and everything thats not an issue. I just do not want to look like a total idiot when I am around other people that are into fashion, I kind of get all anxious when I am in neighborhoods where fashion is very big like SoHo, and the shopping areas, etc.

There are no sizes or anything written. The pants are probably a 34 or 36, they are actually pretty slim, and they are just like my brand new Armani BL pants so thats not an issue. I guess it would be a 42L, my suits are usually a 42L or a 40.

And yes I love it, other than the length of the top of the lapel.

If you decide to wear it, wear it like it yours not your father's.
Pick out a matching shirt, tie, and good shoes and you will look good.

If you wear without confidence then you will get laughed/snickered/looked down upon wearing borrowed clothes and dressed by the internet.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, this exactly the thread I'd create if I was insecure about wearing my dad's 80s DBs. Not that I'm deliberately sneering at the OP - it seems slightly close to home is all. Add me to the list of posters ready to take it off your hands, PaoloM

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads