• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can you still wear a suit like this?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
1,138
Reaction score
2
This is a Brioni MTM suit that was made for my father in 1989. It was worn only once and that was on his wedding day. I am wondering because of such low sitting labels and the arrangement of the buttons if it is still fully acceptable to wear it today as a two button single breasted notch label would. Now I am not talking about any specific event or anything that it would be worn to. I have seen KitonBrioni wear Brioni's just like this with the labels and such the same way. I just do not want to be wearing it, walk into a boutique on Madison Ave and look like a total idiot!


 

Brad

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
2,297
Reaction score
3
You better not wear it. If your dad measured close to a 42R in 1989, you should just send it my way.
 

Spats

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
1,946
Reaction score
327
I've looked like an idiot in lots better places than Madison avenue boutiques. 42L, by any chance?
 

huy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
I think the more important question is: Does it fit you?
 

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
1,138
Reaction score
2
Oh yea I forgot that; it fits me perfectly, the pants, and the jacket. I know how it should fit and everything thats not an issue. I just do not want to look like a total idiot when I am around other people that are into fashion, I kind of get all anxious when I am in neighborhoods where fashion is very big like SoHo, and the shopping areas, etc.

There are no sizes or anything written. The pants are probably a 34 or 36, they are actually pretty slim, and they are just like my brand new Armani BL pants so thats not an issue. I guess it would be a 42L, my suits are usually a 42L or a 40.

And yes I love it, other than the length of the top of the lapel.
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,856
Reaction score
2,140
rock it! thought i think you should post pictures so we can get a good idea of what needs updating or changing.

some things you can change, some you cant.

personally i think its awesome, i'd wear it.
 

CharlestonBows

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
... i think you should post pictures so we can get a good idea of what needs updating or changing. ...

+1
 

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
1,138
Reaction score
2
It has no vents, but I will take some shots over the weekend. If my father does not loose weight before I go off to college in a year and a half then I will take it with me and get it taken in to make sure its perfect. Until then I cannot touch this thing, although I wore it on Christmas and my family was impressed by how well it fit and my father seemed honored I loved it so much and partially pissed that all I think about is clothing lol. This is the only pic I have right now, of course theres more coming...
 

Tardek

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by PaoloM
It has no vents, but I will take some shots over the weekend.

If my father does not loose weight before I go off to college in a year and a half then I will take it with me and get it taken in to make sure its perfect. Until then I cannot touch this thing, although I wore it on Christmas and my family was impressed by how well it fit and my father seemed honored I loved it so much and partially pissed that all I think about is clothing lol.

This is the only pic I have right now, of course theres more coming...



Dear god man, your face is a mess!
 

Cordwinder

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
487
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Oh yea I forgot that; it fits me perfectly, the pants, and the jacket. I know how it should fit and everything thats not an issue. I just do not want to look like a total idiot when I am around other people that are into fashion, I kind of get all anxious when I am in neighborhoods where fashion is very big like SoHo, and the shopping areas, etc.

There are no sizes or anything written. The pants are probably a 34 or 36, they are actually pretty slim, and they are just like my brand new Armani BL pants so thats not an issue. I guess it would be a 42L, my suits are usually a 42L or a 40.

And yes I love it, other than the length of the top of the lapel.


If you decide to wear it, wear it like it yours not your father's.
Pick out a matching shirt, tie, and good shoes and you will look good.

If you wear without confidence then you will get laughed/snickered/looked down upon wearing borrowed clothes and dressed by the internet.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Great for an interview as an ESPN commentator.
 

barims

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
567
Wow, this exactly the thread I'd create if I was insecure about wearing my dad's 80s DBs. Not that I'm deliberately sneering at the OP - it seems slightly close to home is all. Add me to the list of posters ready to take it off your hands, PaoloM
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,233
Messages
9,230,812
Members
193,762
Latest member
bogyo
Top