• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can these check shirts be worn well or should I jus bin/ charity them?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
These are the sort of shirts I have acquired over the years pretty much purely because the patterns appealed , at one time or another, to my eye - without me giving any thought to what I would wear them with or whether they can look stylish.

Sometimes I've worn them with just a pair of jeans or chinos and boots/shoes for a dressed down day in the office or to walk my dog or something. Mostly they have just taken up room in my wardrobe. They are of a kind of middling fabric weight, not heavy enough to be flannel shirts I would wear as an outer layer over a t-shirt or light enough that they could be summer shirts I'd wear on their own.They are not fine enough that they would go under a business suit for a professional office look, with a tie. They are too casual, I think, to go with any kind of blazer or sports coat. What is meant to be done with shirts like this? Worn under a sweater and a Barbour jacket for a country look maybe?Are they just irredeemably unstylish and office-drone / dadcore?
PXL_20220624_214757129.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they’re taking up room and you rarely wear them, maybe it’s time to move on. That said, they appear to be decent enough casual shirts—as you mentioned under a sweater or outerwear, perhaps in shoulder seasons. It’s really your call but it doesn’t sound like you’ll miss them.

Reaction score
it seems you have a good idea of what these shirts are like and what role they might serve, if you're indifferent towards them and they take up space then you can leave them behind

rjc149

Reaction score
These shirts are completely inoffensive -- whether that's conducive to being "stylish" is a matter of personal preference.

These would go fine with chinos, slacks, and sport jackets -- at least, I don't see why wearing them with a sport jacket would be any sort of faux pas. Tucking them into jeans would be veering into dadcore, but otherwise these are pretty versatile, if not mundane, wardrobe staples. These are exactly the types of shirts I wear out to dinner when I want to look neat and presentable but not necessarily "stylish" (which is my general approach to personal attire).

Maybe get them hemmed to an untucked length so you can wear them with jeans? This would firmly anchor them in the casual-only section of your wardrobe, but may breathe some new life into them.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 of 4 look very similar. Pick the one that fits best and is in the best condition and get rid of the other two.

jack webb

Reaction score
These shirts are completely inoffensive -- whether that's conducive to being "stylish" is a matter of personal preference.

These would go fine with chinos, slacks, and sport jackets -- at least, I don't see why wearing them with a sport jacket would be any sort of faux pas. Tucking them into jeans would be veering into dadcore, but otherwise these are pretty versatile, if not mundane, wardrobe staples. These are exactly the types of shirts I wear out to dinner when I want to look neat and presentable but not necessarily "stylish" (which is my general approach to personal attire).

Maybe get them hemmed to an untucked length so you can wear them with jeans? This would firmly anchor them in the casual-only section of your wardrobe, but may breathe some new life into them.
Good idea about getting them trimmed to untucked length, but make sure the tailor is up to the task. Last summer I tried to get the same thing done with a couple shirts, and I swear he just cut straight across horizontally, completely wrecking the hem’s contour. Lesson learned.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Is there a rough rule of thumb for where "untucked length" is? I know I don't want them looking like I'm wearing an old-fashioned night shirt. But where, roughly, would be the point that I would want the hem to fall, to wear a shirt untucked in a stylish way?

jack webb

Reaction score
Is there a rough rule of thumb for where "untucked length" is? I know I don't want them looking like I'm wearing an old-fashioned night shirt. But where, roughly, would be the point that I would want the hem to fall, to wear a shirt untucked in a stylish way?
I always aim for about halfway down the zipper.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually roughly midway between your waist and crotch of your trousers. When you bring the shirt in for hemming have them pin the shirt up so you can see for yourself what length you prefer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads