• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear tuxedo shirt and bowtie with jeans and a blazer to a morning wedding

Edgyme

Reaction score
The title says it all I guess, I am going for a morning wedding, and I was thinking to wear a tuxedo white shirt, with a bow tie, blue jeans, and a light grey blazer, would that be a good look, or too edgy to be considered a fashion disaster hahah. I don't believe much in rules, but still would like to know. thx :)

starro

Reaction score
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Rules should be broken by people who understand them.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The title says it all I guess, I am going for a morning wedding, and I was thinking to wear a tuxedo white shirt, with a bow tie, blue jeans, and a light grey blazer, would that be a good look, or too edgy to be considered a fashion disaster hahah. I don't believe much in rules, but still would like to know. thx :)

Not something I would do.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't care for that look, but perhaps more to the point - What is the wedding's dress code?

What I mean is, if the wedding's very casual, and half the men present will be in jeans, then what you describe would simply be highly unappealing. Whereas if the wedding's relatively formal, and most of the men will be in suits (or even tuxedos - and yes, in the USA, in the 21st century, it's not uncommon for tuxedos to be worn daytime weddings), your suggested look would be mind-bogglingly wrong.

If you don't know the dress code, if it's not written on the invitation or anything, find out. Since you've been invited to the wedding, you presumably have some sort of connection to someone in the wedding's inner circle; call that person and ask.

While you may not believe much in rules, this isn't so much about rules, as it is about being polite to one's host. Assuming you do care about not being wantonly inconsiderate to the people being married, you should try to dress in the manner they wish their wedding guests to dress. It's their big event, after all, so their wishes matter. Your wishes matter... less.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I agree with the above post in that showing respect to the bride and groom and everyone in attendance. This event should have nothing with you trying to make some kind of fashion statement or expression. You do not want to be that guy that shows up in a photo later on with the following comment " who was this idiot" or what was he thinking showing up to our wedding dressed like that"

Last edited:

randomatom

Reaction score

How did it turn out? Do you have pics to share? I'm currently debating breaking up a tux with black jeans to wear for my birthday party, as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads