• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear a navy coat casually?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a wool overcoat for fall/winter. I already have a charcoal peacoat, but it's from H&M and the fit and material aren't the best.
I think this coat is a bit better with 80% wool though I still have to try fit in store (kind of hard with covid now). I'm also tall so perhaps a longer coat will look better (it's not really long, but longer than my peacoat).
The only thing I fear is that it will look too formal with small lapels and navy color, I don't want to look like a politician. I would mostly wear it to university, but again, some professors come to class in a hoodie.

BUSTER-NAVY_4_38_product.jpg
BUSTER-NAVY_5_38_product.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of that coat. It looks like a cross between a sport coat and an overcoat, and the marriage isn’t working. It also doesn’t look very warm; I can’t picture turning those collars up in a gale.

If you don’t want a more trad full-length wool overcoat (meant to be worn over tailored clothing, I suppose as you put it like a politician), why not replace your ill-fitting pea coat with a better one? Or look for a longer trad overcoat in tweed, which will be more casual than navy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also not a fan of that coat.

You can wear a navy coat casually, but it depends on the cut and styling. A coat's formality is about more than its color. I have a navy Melton coat from Kaptain Sunshine (the "Traveler" model) and only wear it with casualwear. A more traditional navy Guard's coat, on the other hand, should only be worn with suits.

If you want a navy coat that you can wear casually, I would check out Kaptain Sunshine's Traveler coat or something from Todd Snyder.

jc8715

Reaction score
I used to have a similar coat and it was not very useful. Still slightly formal and looked odd w casual clothes. The low buttons means it doesn't keep you warm. If you want wool but not formal maybe upgrade your peacoat or consider a duffle. Maybe a polo if you want just a bit more formal that peacoat.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Also not a fan.

Why are you considering that particular coat, seeing that you're not sure about it yourself? It's not like there's a shortage of coats on there. That coat is short on the model, if you're taller than average it might be even worse on you.

If you want something that'll keep you warm, and that isn't too formal, have you considered a raglan coat? In tweed, it's a fairly informal coat that's still very versatile.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not get a better quality navy pea coat? Or search for a car coat. That coat looks like a fail for utility

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
KS Traveler. Long, warmer, cooler, more casual, and available in a range of colors, including navy.

5A334E96-C522-40AE-B426-F89B6C9F43D1.jpeg
715ef96ee718835e4bd7.jpeg
1125181828_2528285570803418_3556992951574013913_n.jpeg
tumblr_ac94557fe41d440276f7b5582733fcec_b2905043_640.jpeg
145194820_696455954361772_6804441412305903253_n.jpg
145065074_853012112218892_3202561269204875746_n.jpg
1541410351-1981-2018-1104-1-1-2-3.jpeg

The KS Traveler coat is a bit expensive. You can sometimes find them on eBay for about $750, but they're more commonly $1,000 and upwards if you're paying retail. If you're a student and on a budget, you might like Uniqlo's Balmacaan. It's only $99 and can probably had for less during sale season.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the coat that aren't product photos, but I think one member on here has posted a fit pic with the coat. I thought it looked pretty good. If you do a search, you may be able to find it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 8.47.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 8.45.31 PM.png

You might also want to check out Reddit's Male Fashion Advice. I think they are generally better at giving advice anyway, but they're especially good at giving advice to younger people. A link to the forum and then a link to a sample of the people who post there, specifically them wearing overcoats.

Last edited:

Casaubon

Reaction score
I feel impelled to write a few words of defense of this particular coat (although not necessarily this particular coat), as I have a similar one. Not trying to justify a bad purchase here, as I really think the coat earned its place in my wardrobe in terms of my style and function needs. I will also not argue that there are better coats than this one, nor will I try to persuade the OP into buying it.

Perhaps it's due to me living in a relaxed environment style-wise, but it seems to me that it finely straddles the line between the more formal and more casual: I like how it looks on me both when paired with more casual clothing like knitwear and chinos or grey flannel trousers, but also over a suit (yes, it does cover the suit jacket, and no, the jacket is not overly short).

It is just the right amount of protection I need in milder winters, but it also got me through a New York January a few years ago.

Moreover, not trying to appeal to authority here, but isn't the style similar to this: https://www.bondsuits.com/navy-topcoat/ ?

notdos

Reaction score
Just my .02, but the OP’s “coat” appears to have such small/styled lapels, that it seems to be struggling with its identity. Have no problem with its apparent weight or length.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not crazy about slim, short topcoats. But I recognize that's what's more in fashion nowadays. Although I also think that's changing.

There's also the fact that both Daniel Craig and myself are on the shorter side, unlike the OP. Perhaps it would look like more of a fashion statement on him?

I'd paid enough attention to what people wear in order to realize that shorter lengths and slim lapels were in vogue some ten years ago, and the pendulum has swung in the other direction by now, but it seems to me that proportions should be taken into account as well.

Although, to reiterate, I can easily understand that there are more stylish, more casual, warmer coats out there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's also the fact that both Daniel Craig and myself are on the shorter side, unlike the OP. Perhaps it would look like more of a fashion statement on him?

I'd paid enough attention to what people wear in order to realize that shorter lengths and slim lapels were in vogue some ten years ago, and the pendulum has swung in the other direction by now, but it seems to me that proportions should be taken into account as well.

Although, to reiterate, I can easily understand that there are more stylish, more casual, warmer coats out there.

Hard to comment without seeing photos, but I don't like the proportions on Craig's clothes on him.

Received an email today from Trunk Clothiers in London advertising their new Devonshire coat. If someone is younger and wants something that doesn't look fusty, I think this sort of proportion works better. Fuller, knee length, something with verve.

trunk.jpg
trunk2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads