• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can food be art?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that wedding cakes and pastries can become art; fleeting art intended to be destroyed.

I'm not sure if any food can become art because of preparation and plating. Could maccaronni and cheese become art in the right hands?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Eating is a nutritional process, thus the preparation of food is merely a means for greater enjoyment of that process. If I were to theatrically digest a vitamin is that a piece of performance art? No. Culinary artists are in the same category as shoemakers, landscapers, product designers, and architects as creative artisans and craftsmen who refine a skill with vision for a common purpose within daily life. They use creativity but are bounded by realistic constraints that impede the goal of creating a more ideal vision of humanity. Painting, drawing, sculpture, drama, poetry, prose, and music are the only true art forms without pragmatic limits for expression.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foodstuffs can be used in art, but is not art.

Food's essentially utilitarian role precludes it from being art.

Qzar

Reaction score
Culinary artists are in the same category as shoemakers, landscapers, product designers, and architects as creative artisans and craftsmen who refine a skill with vision for a common purpose within daily life.
Architects may take offense at this. It is true that there are a lot of architects who work for firms cranking out cookie cutter houses and club houses but that doesn't mean that architecture as a discipline isn't an art form. Illustrators aren't artists in this sense but illustration is an art form. A friend of mine used to live in a Paul Rudolph house and just stepping foot in that building was a life changing event, it was a work of art. I don't see a huge difference between the Taj Mahal and the Mona Lisa. I don't see the difference between a modern minimalist painting and the Sydney Opera House or a work by Frank Gehry. And this whole realistic constraints thing is kind of bullshit. How is architecture more realistically restricted than painting or sculpture... or even music and drama? They all have limitations... artists have never let that get in the way though.

I think too many people are confusing the question that is being asked here. Art is not just visual art and NO cooking is not a visual art (or at least it shouldn't be treated as one). There are other arts that aren't visual like music. Look at music and you can begin to draw a definition that would more accurately cover food as art. I'm going to make a bold statement by saying that if music is art, then food is art. If anyone can create an accurate argument against that... I'll give em a cookie.

(To the view that food is utilitarian and thus not art: MUSIC is also utilitarian since it is a form of communication that humans perfected into a way of expression and cultural identity. We needed to hear in order to survive and we took this utilitarian necessity and turned it into a work of art. If food was merely utilitarian then it would all just taste the same and look the same)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Or elephant dung?

08.jpg

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used blood in a piece before. It was trite then, it's trite now.

Yawn, I'm bored, you're boring, I'm yawning.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Qzar;2037755 said:
Culinary artists are in the same category as shoemakers, landscapers, product designers, and architects as creative artisans and craftsmen who refine a skill with vision for a common purpose within daily life.
Architects may take offense at this. It is true that there are a lot of architects who work for firms cranking out cookie cutter houses and club houses but that doesn't mean that architecture as a discipline isn't an art form. Illustrators aren't artists in this sense but illustration is an art form. A friend of mine used to live in a Paul Rudolph house and just stepping foot in that building was a life changing event, it was a work of art. I don't see a huge difference between the Taj Mahal and the Mona Lisa. I don't see the difference between a modern minimalist painting and the Sydney Opera House or a work by Frank Gehry. And this whole realistic constraints thing is kind of bullshit. How is architecture more realistically restricted than painting or sculpture... or even music and drama? They all have limitations... artists have never let that get in the way though.

I think too many people are confusing the question that is being asked here. Art is not just visual art and NO cooking is not a visual art (or at least it shouldn't be treated as one). There are other arts that aren't visual like music. Look at music and you can begin to draw a definition that would more accurately cover food as art. I'm going to make a bold statement by saying that if music is art, then food is art. If anyone can create an accurate argument against that... I'll give em a cookie.

(To the view that food is utilitarian and thus not art: MUSIC is also utilitarian since it is a form of communication that humans perfected into a way of expression and cultural identity. We needed to hear in order to survive and we took this utilitarian necessity and turned it into a work of art. If food was merely utilitarian then it would all just taste the same and look the same)

If all dildoes were utilitarians they would all look the same, well you certainly wouldn't have a colour choice although you could have different shapes. So dildoes are art? What about can openers and garbage bags and mixers, wait, oh ****, we live in the "design age" and daily, utilitarian items have an ornamental aspect.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
@ label king...i think maybe paul mccarthy is a better touchstone for food in art than nitsch is. or do you eat raw meat off the bone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads