• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can burnished leather be dyed?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
It won't- just don't soake the shoe in it. Use a few clean rags, get themdamp and use your elbow grease. You -DO- want to be patient with this part.
wink.gif

some spots I just don't care about, like way down where the welt is. these are also full brogues, so the broguing is holding on to a lot of color. I've found that I can't get any color in there just using shoe cream
confused.gif
How many layers did you have to do?

Nexus6

Reaction score
ooooooo Looking Good! Don't forget to work the cloth over the sole welt stitching too! The sole edges can be retouched later, but see if you can lighten the stiching round the welt. Don't forget ..after the Acetone, use Lexol or Leather Lotion to re-instate moisture to the leather. This is critical. You are doing great so far. You may even want to consider staying with the lighter colour. Don't stop now! Keep us updated
smile.gif

Nexus6

Reaction score
Anon...proceed with the other shoe & acetone.
Then give us a picture

please do not go black
Black is only a last resort.
I think others will agree there is no need to go black because the leather offers better possibilities.
I made that mistake before, and regret it.

Just do the acetone on the other shoe and update us.
We'll take it one step at a time...if you'll agree?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a closeup of the leather on the stripped shoe. Maybe years of layers of wax was making them appear to be CG.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
here are a couple of pictures. light was low so I got a little bit of blur on these.

refinishing2.JPG

refinishing3.JPG

Hard to tell. Are you keeping the trees in during and after these procedures?

Nexus6

Reaction score
Use an old toothbrush to work the acetone into the broguing (holes) and ridges Also, stuff your hand inside the shoe while working the rag with acetone over the instep areas of the shoes. your fingers can provide resistance from underneath
wink.gif
You can further lighten the colour trapped in the wrinkles. Or use that toothbrush with acetone into the wrinkles, and that gash on that one toe. Follow quickly with the rag. brush with acetone clean rag follows repeat until satisfied. Give a few seconds to see it lighten after each ragging. You are doing great so far. Also, remember to work the stitching of the welt all round the shoe. That stitching should also start to pop up lighter too.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
got the other (left) shoe done as well. I may go over them again with acetone, but I think they're ready for dye.

the cracks and creases you see here aren't filled with old wax/color, the leather is actually raw. if I put acetone on them it just soaks right into the leather.

refinish4.JPG

refinish5.JPG

Dood, I would just use some clear/neutral wax polish to seal them up after a good conditioning & be done. They look charming as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads