• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calvin Klein Suit from Syms

dankap911

Reaction score
ok...here it goes...i bought a CK suit from Syms about a year ago for approx $400. Due to a change in my weight i have only worn it 3 times.

I started noticing that i was getting Pillies on the inside of the sleeves (the area that rubs against the jacket as i walk). It seems like there are very tiny fibers that are coming out of the fabric.

I called Syms, they told me too bad.

I called Calvin Klein and they said "well, its very possible that the suit you bought from Syms isnt actually a Calvin Klein Suit" ....I mean, can that be true? is Syms selling knock offs?

dankap911

Reaction score
not literally...they told me to shave the pillies off with a sweater shaver, and take it to the dry cleaner...

houserichichi

Reaction score
I'm actually shocked that CK would claim a false sale on the part of Syms and would wonder what the latter would say to the former's accusation. The shaver/dry cleaner would help you out in the immediate but it will continue to deteriorate until that part of your suit is raw and bare over time.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By saying the suit is not actually Calvin Klein, what they probably meant was that it is a suit legitimately made by another company using the name licensed from CK.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
By saying the suit is not actually Calvin Klein, what they probably meant was that it is a suit legitimately made by another company using the name licensed from CK.

Not really. I think they just meant that they didn't give a dam about the OPs problem and wanted to get off the phone.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Exactly. Was it the regular Calvin Klein or Calvin Klein Collection? CK Collection are often quite decent Italian-made suits (years ago they were made by Gruppo GFT, then for a while they were made by Vestimenta, now I forget who makes them but they're still quite decent), but the regular CK line is total garbage licensed out to the cheapest bidder in Asia. Retail for CK Collection is $1500+, but the regular line are about $400. They are worth less than $50, to be honest.

They know that, which is why they wanted to get off the phone. They don't want to admit, "Well, you see, we really just want to make lots of money and cut corners, and in order to do that we put out a really shoddy product."

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Exactly. Retail for CK Collection is $1500+, but the regular line are about $400. They are worth less than $50, to be honest.

They know that, which is why they wanted to get off the phone.

Yes, 400$, which includes paying for the name of the brand. So this one is no high end!

Forget about this one and buy next time another one.

dankap911

Reaction score
details from the suit in question...

tag on back of neck...says Made in Canada
White tag on inside over right inside breast pocket says "Calvin Klein" (black on White)
Tage over Left inside breast pocket says 100% Wool, pure new wool WOOLMARK.

This is really sad.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Yeah, it's the regular line Calvin Klein and for the most part not worth the stitching on the label. Live and learn; paying retail for a department store suit is NOT the way to go. Check out the sales area around here; for that price, you could get a VERY nice Italian made suit that will last you forever. I think that most suits at that retail price point ($350-500) are generally very poorly made and not worth it. You might also check out www.yoox.com. For $400, there are TONS of really excellent suits at a retail price point of $1000-1700 marked down.

minhi

Reaction score
not fake, i see these ck made in canada suts at marshalls for less then $200.

if it fits wear it as a beater/bad weather suit and consider it lesson learned. not sure why you thought ck would help you out when you bought it from a discount reseller (sad state of affairs i know....)

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Made in Canada" CK/RRL/MMC etc etc etc suits are generally better than their similarly branded counterparts from China and Indonesia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads